• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Spring/Summer 2013

pvoytko

Reaction score
so i bought one of the thomas mason shirts on sale and i was looking at it thinking that the pattern looked really familiar...
these shirts are suppose to retail for 168 (got it on sale obviously) and are aimed at being some of the higher end shirts for jcrew

then i found this old JCREW FACTORY SHIRT

thomas mason left, jcrew factory right

the tags

the fabric on the thomas mason feels better i think? but honestly it could just be my head messing with me

the jcrew factory shirt i think was like 20 dollars or something

ktown

Reaction score
I picked up my first Thomas Mason shirt along with a regular shirt this weekend and I honestly can't tell the difference in quality and why the price is so much higher. Sure, the buttons are MoP, but the fabric quality seems the same to me. Perhaps with age and washing, the Thomas Mason shirt will last longer and look better over time but that's just a guess.

Morgan

Reaction score
FYI, jcrew.com has apparently adopted airline-style dynamic pricing. I had been repeatedly scoping out the Barbour Lowerdale quilted vest online, waiting for a sale. When I got an email about the 30% off sale this weekend, I logged on to see if it applied to items I'd added to my "wishlist" on the site.

Not only did the sale not apply to Barbour, but the price of the vest had apparently increased overnight from $179 to $208. I suspected that jcrew.com was tracking how often I looked at particular items, predicting the likelihood that I would eventually buy them, and adjusting the price, just like airlines do when you repeatedly check the price of particular flights.

I opened my preferences in Chrome, deleted all my jcrew.com cookies, reopened the site, and voila - the price was back down to $179.

If you are a frequent customer of jcrew's online store, you may want to clear your jcrew.com cookies and/or log out as a registered user of the site to make sure they're not jacking up the prices on any items you've browsed more than once or twice.

MichaelKnight

Reaction score
Wow, sketchy. I like how for us Canadians the invoice suggests they are covering any duty during shipment, yet, the base price of the items is inflated relative to the US (still in US dollars). They are essentially building it into the price although they say it is to be 'in line with local pricing'. Ahhhh semantics….

MichaelKnight

Reaction score
Bought a couple Wallace & Barnes sweaters, as per the online reviews, they fit small in the arms in the usual size or large in the midsection if upsizing….not a good fit if one has an athletic build. Can knit sweaters be tailored if there are seems at the side? I would probably spend $30 in shipping to get it back across the border anyways.

suchstuff

Reaction score
@Morgan -- Were you on the Canadian site, maybe? On the U.S. site it's listed at $179, while on the Canadian site it's listed at $208 USD. Prolly because of the duties thing MichaelKnight mentioned. Would explain the cookies reset working.

If not, huge bummer.

alohamichael

Reaction score

Bought a couple Wallace & Barnes sweaters, as per the online reviews, they fit small in the arms in the usual size or large in the midsection if upsizing….not a good fit if one has an athletic build.  Can knit sweaters be tailored if there are seems at the side?  I would probably spend $30 in shipping to get it back across the border anyways.

Yea..any tailor worth his salt can do this.

alohamichael

Reaction score

FYI, jcrew.com has apparently adopted airline-style dynamic pricing. I had been repeatedly scoping out the Barbour Lowerdale quilted vest online, waiting for a sale. When I got an email about the 30% off sale this weekend, I logged on to see if it applied to items I'd added to my "wishlist" on the site.

Not only did the sale not apply to Barbour, but the price of the vest had apparently increased overnight from $179 to $208. I suspected that jcrew.com was tracking how often I looked at particular items, predicting the likelihood that I would eventually buy them, and adjusting the price, just like airlines do when you repeatedly check the price of particular flights.

I opened my preferences in Chrome, deleted all my jcrew.com cookies, reopened the site, and voila - the price was back down to $179.

If you are a frequent customer of jcrew's online store, you may want to clear your jcrew.com cookies and/or log out as a registered user of the site to make sure they're not jacking up the prices on any items you've browsed more than once or twice.

Had this same issue but then I realized my country was sent to France for some reason.

alohamichael

Reaction score

I don't need it right away so I can wait to find one with discount. What about the quality of cashmere? I like j.crew sweaters a lot, but never purchased a cashmere sweater from them.

The cashmere is nice. i would wait for discount if you are on the fence for the first time. I don't own any because I know it takes special diligence to care for (and patience which I don't have).

alohamichael

Reaction score

Just picked up a pair of 484 chinos on sale. The only thing is, when I went to pay for them, they were still listed at full price at checkout. When I asked if they weren't on sale, the cashier didn't know, and asked the woman behind her, who said they weren't. I told the cashier I thought I saw them on sale on the website, and so she checked her computer. After checking with her co-worker to make sure it was the right pair of pants that were on sale, she applied the discount. Ultimately I paid $40, when I would have paid $89 if I hadn't said anything. So I would advise people to check online for sales beforehand. And for Toronto peeps, sale isn't available at Bloor location.

I don't know why but online list prices and in-store list prices will not always match up. If you have a different price online don't assume the sales staff knows it, be upfront and tell them! Makes everyone's lives easier.

alohamichael

Reaction score

Is anyone able to compare the sizing on the Ludlow Dress shirts vs the Thomas Mason Slim Dress shirts? I know the Ludlow has a trim cut but I'm not sure how the two compare. I own a size small Ludlow shirt which fits well in the shoulders but is slightly loose in the chest and arms.

Take the same size. I think they didn't name them Thomas Mason Ludlow because it's a mouthful… obviously there will be small variations based off of fabric weight + how you wash them.

alohamichael

Reaction score

Picked up two short sleeve henleys for 15 each the other day. Quality feels pretty decent and they are really comfy and great for hot weather.
More interesting than a tshirt too.

An SA told me jcrew stores do sales based on whats selling vs not, so you might be able to find an item you really want on clearance and see the same item in another store still at full price. All items online that are in sale will be discounted if you show them via your phone plus the additional 15 if youre a student/teacher (say you forgot your id, theyll give it to you anyway)

My store is very strict about the ID thing (must be current too) so i wouldn't use this as a blanket technique.

alohamichael

Reaction score

Can someone say what fabrics for shirts are thicker than eachother at jcrew?

Thickest = Oxford
Middle = poplin
Moderately thin = Heathered poplin
Thinnest = Linnen

I really like heavy shirts and got an heathered poplin one reacently and was disapointed with how thin it was.

I wanted to see if there were any other fabrics that are thick and smooth.

The new brushed cottons feel "heavy" but they definitely vary in weight. The flannels vary a lot too. Best way is to feel them for yourself! But pretty much all the secret wash shirting is thin and light.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads