• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew quality

smw356

Reaction score
^
Does it have MoP buttons, the selvedge seam at the sides and along the placket, and the hidden buttons for the collar.

The chambray's I saw at the outlet here, seemed a lot less nice than the ones they have in stores, lacking all of those details and seeming rougher in the fabric.

That said the club shorts I picked up from the outlet are indiscernible from the same ones in stores.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
Here's pic of the chambray I picked up at the outlets.

IMG_3559.jpg

You're lucky you found your size. Thanks for the info.... might look for an outlet store. Usually clothes in outlet stores are defective.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
^ Does it have MoP buttons, the selvedge seam at the sides and along the placket, and the hidden buttons for the collar. The chambray's I saw at the outlet here, seemed a lot less nice than the ones they have in stores, lacking all of those details and seeming rougher in the fabric. That said the club shorts I picked up from the outlet are indiscernible from the same ones in stores.
Originally Posted by Maharlika
You're lucky you found your size. Thanks for the info.... might look for an outlet store. Usually clothes in outlet stores are defective.
smw, no it doesn't have those details. Jcrew definitely does produce different products specifically for its outlet stores in addition to the stuff that makes it there because it doesn't sell at retail (I think). Though, like I said above, to me I don't notice a tangible difference in construction quality even though the details might be different.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had this EXACT same thing happen to a blue Jcrew Broken in oxford button down. I dont use bleach, and the shirt was washed with an entire load of clothes, none of which had any orange/pink markings. I would say this probably has something to do with Jcrew. It didnt bother me considering i paid like $4 for the shirt with all the discounts.

boozingalcoholic

Reaction score
I'm sure it's bleach.

The quality of JCREW pieces is tons better than a lot of stuff out there. I own a couple of shirts that have lasted more than one season. In fact, their chinos have lasted 2-3 years with really good looking wear. I would gladly pay retail for their chinos - though this recession has gotten me to do a double take on prices.

I think the quality of JCREW from time to time seems suspect especially at factory stores. Let me reassure you, all of my jcrew factory shirts are rock solid. They have held up to machine washes for about a year with no real color fades. They have only gotten softer!

I think alot of people think the stuff is overpriced due to the simple, no logo, no frills appearance. We must considering the longevity of their pieces, I feel like it's inexpensive. If we compare to forever21 - it's cheap but the items never last after a couple of wears - forever 21 is expensive in comparison to JCREW.

Nice kop on the chambray!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
This jacket (1) and these two shirts (2, 3) are all from an outlet store and I can't discern any difference in quality from the stuff in the regular stores.
I didn't try on any items when I visited the outlet, just glanced at stuff. The clothes in your pics look good, so I may stop in again and try on a few things. The outlet prices are good.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive been wearing the same pair of J.Crew dress pants, maybe 2 times a week for 3 years now, and they still are in immaculate condition

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No it is Jcrew. I have the same exact probelm with ONLY my Jcrew shorts. Explain that one then. Magically 4 pairs of my Jcrew shorts have some sort of discoloration on them and all my other shirts and shorts and pants have NEVER had discoloration even though I wash them together.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
No it is Jcrew. I have the same exact probelm with ONLY my Jcrew shorts. Explain that one then. Magically 4 pairs of my Jcrew shorts have some sort of discoloration on them and all my other shirts and shorts and pants have NEVER had discoloration even though I wash them together.

While I can't explain your problem, the OP's picture is absolutely what happens when you get bleach on dyed cotton. It happens to me every once in awhile because our apartment bldg has shared washing machines and other people use bleach.

I sincerely doubt it's J Crew's fault--although I suppose it's possible/probable that they use some bleaching agents to do their "broken-in" washes, so maybe there's a connection there.

BOF

Reaction score
While it could be bleach, it is very possible that it's a problem with the garment. I've seen that on lots of pieces of clothes, from Wal-Mart up to the more expensive department stores. Family members have gotten that on clothes despite never using bleach. QC seems to be going down hill in general for such large scale distributors.

givemefive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slmartin
I just bought a pair of J Crew Classic-fit broken-in chinos in eclipse blue and have worn them probably 4 - 5 times. I just washed them with cold water and Woolite for Colors detergent. Here's the result: 8 or 9 spots like this:
jcrew1.jpg
...and the inside of both front pockets looks like this:
jcrew2.jpg
I don't have the receipt anymore, but anyone think this was just a fluke or is it representative of J Crew quality? More importantly, make sure you keep your receipts if you shop at J Crew!

do you use benzyl peroxide on your face? well now that I see that was the front pocket and not the collar my statement may no longer make sense but still something to keep in mind for anyone that might. That's exactly the color it turns your clothes.

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by givemefive
That's exactly the color it turns your clothes.

I will second that - i ruined quite a few things before i realized that bp was the culprit - however it seems strange that it would turn up in those spots rather than on the collar - also very strange to turn up on a new garment..

inquirer89

Reaction score
A little OT, but does anyone's JCrew chinos seem really stiff, even after softener and heat? I bought a pair of slim broken-in pants and slim essential chinos last October, and they crease on the sides (assuming because of the inseams) so much that it makes them bothersome to walk in, since the cuff always seems to ride up on my shoes. I try to fold them or iron them "sideways", so that there is a front crease, but to no avail.

Other than that, I love JCrew and its the only mall brand I look at. Student discouts and sales FTW

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads