J Crew quality

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by slmartin, Feb 12, 2009.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I just bought a pair of J Crew Classic-fit broken-in chinos in eclipse blue and have worn them probably 4 - 5 times. I just washed them with cold water and Woolite for Colors detergent. Here's the result:

8 or 9 spots like this:

I don't have the receipt anymore, but anyone think this was just a fluke or is it representative of J Crew quality?

More importantly, make sure you keep your receipts if you shop at J Crew!

something happened during the wash. it is not anything about jcrew quality

2. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Can anyone speak to the quality of the stuff at J Crew's factory stores? There's one opening near me and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the drive.

I know a lot of brands do different lines, etc. for outlets, but I have some old Lo and Brooks stuff from their outlet stores that has held up well.

3. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

This thread and the clear user error aside, I love how J. Crew is more accepted here largely because of it's general aesthetic being closer to the dominant themes of the popular brands of the moment while other "mall brands" are scoffed at hardily for poor quality, even on almost identical pieces.

Group think fuggin rules.

4. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

Can anyone speak to the quality of the stuff at J Crew's factory stores? There's one opening near me and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the drive.

I know a lot of brands do different lines, etc. for outlets, but I have some old Lo and Brooks stuff from their outlet stores that has held up well.

I have one nearby and that's where I go for all my J.Crew gear unless I find it cheaper online or in the regular store in my local mall. So far so good.

This thread and the clear user error aside, I love how J. Crew is more accepted here largely because of it's general aesthetic being closer to the dominant themes of the popular brands of the moment while other "mall brands" are scoffed at hardily for poor quality, even on almost identical pieces.

Although there may be some truth to the group think. However, for me prersonally, of all the other mall brands I look for on a regular basis, I have more luck with finding something that fits me as well as I like (more tailored without having to tailor) in my average mall brand sizing at J.Crew than I do with any of the other mall brands so it suits me more. H&M fits this mold for me as well for some of their dress shirts.

5. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

You pretty much answered your own question. And ime their quality is higher than most mall brands.

I have one nearby and that's where I go for all my J.Crew gear unless I find it cheaper online or in the regular store in my local mall. So far so good.

Thanks bro

6. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

^ Agreed. One should never buy JCrew at full price. Shirts and chinos for ~$20 works for me, but I also won't stress if quality issues arise. Had I paid full retail on the other hand...

Some J.Crew items never go on sale like their chambray shirts.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I visited a J.Crew outlet store. The clothing looked to be of very poor quality.

8. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

This jacket (1) and these two shirts (2, 3) are all from an outlet store and I can't discern any difference in quality from the stuff in the regular stores.

9. rupertwaddles

rupertwaddles Active Member

edit nah no reason to call someone out

10. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

The outlet stuff is tagged differently than the normal shit (the two diamond tag). I've always wondered - is this because it was made specially for the outlets, or is it out of season stuff that has been retagged?

11. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

the outlet stuff is worse in my experience, so i dont think its merely retagged

12. blank

blank Senior member

Their quality is leagues higher than most brands, especially their merino wool, which I am loyal to.

13. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

Some J.Crew items never go on sale like their chambray shirts.

I purchased the chambray at my local J.Crew outlet at the start of the new season. It was the same as those stocked at the store in my local mall as far as I could tell and cost me about half retail.

14. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Crossing my fingers I run in to one of those...