• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Vass really worth the money?

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a U last bought at Isetan in Tokyo years ago - I found it quite a tight fit (the half size up was clearly too loose) - but these are fit issues, so very specific - but whilst the leather was very nice looking, it was quite thin and did not crease very well. I found the experience quite uncomfortable compared to UK shoes. The insole was quite unconforming, and the heel puffs are very stiff and unconforming too. A good looking shoe, but not one that could be worn for a long time. Just my own opinions and experience....

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't you have to go to Budapest? Seems all Vass shoes sold at Ascotshoes are regularly priced above 1k usd.

ascot charges a laughable markup on Vass. Their up charge for say horween hatchgrain is more than an entire pair of shoes costs in that same leather at sons of Henry (GYW).

but my point here was: none of the so called connaisseurs at SF for 6 years noticed this yet here we have people complaining about it like it’s this big thing and then you pull in EG or Lobb. Right now you can get Vass for 400-600$. Lobb charges up to 2k for machine made shoes...

rhb57

Reaction score
ascot charges a laughable markup on Vass. Their up charge for say horween hatchgrain is more than an entire pair of shoes costs in that same leather at sons of Henry (GYW).

but my point here was: none of the so called connaisseurs at SF for 6 years noticed this yet here we have people complaining about it like it’s this big thing and then you pull in EG or Lobb. Right now you can get Vass for 400-600$. Lobb charges up to 2k for machine made shoes...

It's probably not a big deal but certainly took me and even the shoe cobbler by surprise since Vass is generally regarded a high quality shoemaker.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
Just came across another resole video on YouTube by Bedo's Leatherwork, it turns out that Vass uses fiberboard as opposed to leather stacked heel block. (Go to 1:35)

It looks like you get what you paid for and there is a reason it's cheaper than those first class shoes such as EG.

One thing they do differently and you're willing to overlook them completely? Your loss. Can't wait to get another pair soon

rhb57

Reaction score
One thing they do differently and you're willing to overlook them completely? Your loss. Can't wait to get another pair soon
First of all, I never said I would overlook Vass. In fact, if you ever read my other posts, I even said I still prefer Vass to EG because it offers a better style.

BTW, they didn't do it differently, they simply cut corners, and you sound like a pure Vass-sheep (I invented that from I-Sheep, lol)

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just came across another resole video on YouTube by Bedo's Leatherwork, it turns out that Vass uses fiberboard as opposed to leather stacked heel block.

I have three pair of Vass that got worn regularly prior to my current shoeless work from home daily routine, and they are fantastic shoes. I'll care about the heel block when I start wearing my Vass shoes to stand in deep puddles. Until then, they will be just fine.

As for their value, they are severely underpriced for what they are. But I started noticing how their business practices were undercutting their retailers and saw the departure of a key employee a few years ago and stopped thinking about them as a brand that interests me.

willyto

Reaction score
Are spade soles that hard to come by RTW? Because if not, resoling a brand new pair of Vass seems pretty dumb to me.
They are non existant basically unless you go bespoke.

Some some modern designers have played with the idea a bit ( I can't remember if it was Prada or Tom Ford made som pairs) and Cole Haan (Blake stitched)made also some models but nothing like the original spade soles.

The sole shape created by Bedos to me it's way too conservative to be called a real spade sole and resoling a new pair of shoes in order to create it seems pointless but customer pays so ?‍♂️

You can read about Spade soles and a bit of their history here: http://www.vintageshoesaddict.com/mens_shoes/spade_sole_shoes.htm

The original pairs are really sharp and not for everyone. I own a pair and they're special, usually with wide welts and chunky broguing and gimping, at least the 40s pairs.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass has many models reduced to less than $400

Last edited:

KtSty

Reaction score
There are other handwelted options out there that beat Vass at similar price points pre-Covid. Sad to see they are using fiberboard for the heel stack, but I guess its inevitable.That said, I agree with the OP that I would still rate Vass shoes at their website prices over many other GYW shoemakers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads