• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Vass really worth the money?

rhb57

Reaction score
Just came across another resole video on YouTube by Bedo's Leatherwork, it turns out that Vass uses fiberboard as opposed to leather stacked heel block. (Go to 1:35)

It looks like you get what you paid for and there is a reason it's cheaper than those first class shoes such as EG.

Last edited:

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So they cut corners in one place. Their overall construction is still superior than EG at like 1/3 of the costs? And you want to discuss value? The fact that no one here noticed this change in 6 years!! Should tell you something how much this apparently matters.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't make sense to just look at the material used for the heel. To understand whether a garment or a pair of shoes is worth the money, you have to plug the item's fundamentals into the Algorithm of Fashion Value:

((raw material cost + accounts receivable - assets) x (joy you get from wearing said clothing x number of hand stitches))/ (depreciation of sustainable value + country of origin)^ net margin of classicness

rhb57

Reaction score
Doesn't make sense to just look at the material used for the heel. To understand whether a garment or a pair of shoes is worth the money, you have to plug the item's fundamentals into the Algorithm of Fashion Value:

((raw material cost + accounts receivable - assets) x (joy you get from wearing said clothing x number of hand stitches))/ (depreciation of sustainable value + country of origin)^ net margin of classicness
LOL, so what's the end result of the equation for Vass?

rhb57

Reaction score
So they cut corners in one place. Their overall construction is still superior than EG at like 1/3 of the costs? And you want to discuss value? The fact that no one here noticed this change in 6 years!! Should tell you something how much this apparently matters.
Honestly I just want to know other people's opinions, I actually still prefer Vass to EG or Lobb because it's handwelted and imho offers the coolest style, haha.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are spade soles that hard to come by RTW? Because if not, resoling a brand new pair of Vass seems pretty dumb to me.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I just want to know other people's opinions, I actually still prefer Vass to EG or Lobb because it's handwelted and imho offers the coolest style, haha.

right but then you pick some odd comparisons as neither Lobb nor EG could ever be considered good value....you might really like what they offer but asking upwards of 2k for a GY shoe...

rhb57

Reaction score
I'm afraid it wouldn't be right for me to calculate it for you. If you want to earn a PhD in Fashion Value Accounting, then you have to learn how to solve these equations for yourself.
I thought you might know since you invented the equation, lol.

rhb57

Reaction score
right but then you pick some odd comparisons as neither Lobb nor EG could ever be considered good value....you might really like what they offer but asking upwards of 2k for a GY shoe...
Name another shoe maker who prices their shoes above 1k and uses fiberboard.

Last edited:

rhb57

Reaction score
That's on the retailers. Vass doesn't sell their shoes for over $1K USD.
Don't you have to go to Budapest? Seems all Vass shoes sold at Ascotshoes are regularly priced above 1k usd.

Viatu

Reaction score
Don't you have to go to Budapest? Seems all Vass shoes sold at Ascotshoes are regularly priced above 1k usd.

I'm aware of Ascot shoes. But, I look at Vass' own website vass-shoes.com.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads