• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Trovata about to bite the dust?

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
For any Trovata fans (I'm not one of them) 2 more of the dream team jump ship. Working in fashion is mental, and drives you mental!. What goodies will the departing duo bring us for Spring 08.

Found this article online from WWD.

Put men in a group and it's only inevitable - New Kids on the Block, Take That, 98 Degrees. (Do you need a tissue?) But now we can add the design group known as Trovata to that list. Yes, according to WWD (www.wwd.com) "Jeff Halmos and Sam Shipley, co-founders of the California-based label, have decided to leave the company, effective Jan. 1, and will launch their own contemporary women's and men's label for spring 2008. John Whitledge, co-founder, president and creative director, will be the only one of the four original partners to remain at Trovata. The fourth founding member, Josia Lamberto-Egan, left the company in June."

The article goes onto to cite "creative differences" as the cause behind the split, Halmos admitting, "We have had our share of creative differences over the years and feel that, in order for the company to move forward in a positive direction and for us to be happy personally, this is the ideal solution. Because we're friends, we tried to figure out different scenarios to continue on, but we had just reached a point where no one was happy."

Since we know "creative differences" is a post-anger, PR-approved statement, I wonder what the true cause was? Maybe the departing members realized that a brand can't sell American Eagle clothing at Proenza Schouler prices? Or maybe they came to the realization that it didn't take three grown men to produce a striped polo and cargos? Or maybe, just maybe, it all came down to a life-or-death fight in the bathroom over the last bit of Clinique Exfoliating Facial Wash?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Maybe the departing members realized that a brand can't sell American Eagle clothing at Proenza Schouler prices? Or maybe they came to the realization that it didn't take three grown men to produce a striped polo and cargos?

makes sense to me.

Every time I've considered buying something from Trovata (which is rare/few and far between) there's always something that turns me off (like that story tag they sew in the back which creates those awful stitch lines in the shirt's back). They do use cool buttons tho. The world will continue to spin without Trovata.....next.

*and I've always hated the name, sounding too much like "Travolta"

Dill

Reaction score
I am quite a fan of Trovata and I dont think that this news is their death knell. I usually like their "quirky" details and would wear almost everything they have made. I agree that they go overboard sometimes, and that the story thing has been played out, but its not that hard to remove.

As for comparing them to american eagle, what the ****. The t-shirts are some of the best fitting I own and are still soft two years after I bought them. They are also my favorite ts because of the designs. Their button-downs fit nearly as well as my band-of-outsiders shirt, which says a lot. As for their prices, I don't think I have bought anything without at least 20% off, making them more than reasonable.

Even if they do go under, I hope that the other designers will continue to follow a similiar asthetic.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought one Trovata jacket and have had to re-sew every button on it. If 4 of them couldn't get the buttons to stay on, how will just one manage?

Reaction score
i quite like the cut of their shirts.
i am a size small in their shirts and the sleeves, amazingly, are long enough for my 6' frame.
i like the stupid details, even the ones i hate, and the neat buttons are neat.

i, for one, am sad at the prospect of having one less option for shirts that fit my person.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a chocolate cord sportcoat from them that I rather like. It is a very slim fit. I am having the front buttons replaced though as they are a bit too outrageous.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
i quite like the cut of their shirts.
i am a size small in their shirts and the sleeves, amazingly, are long enough for my 6' frame.
i like the stupid details, even the ones i hate, and the neat buttons are neat.

i, for one, am sad at the prospect of having one less option for shirts that fit my person.

Sorry to jack, but why don't you get your non-dress shirts made? I do, so I can get them how I like - slimmer in the body with shorter tails - and still have them fit in the shoulders/neck/sleeves; I've never figured out why more people don't do this.

As for Trovata, eh - they're fine, I guess. I wouldn't miss 'em too much; their polos are OK if you operate on that red thread with a seam ripper.

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
their fit(shirts and hoodies)are very good.they cut slim and quite long, but i will have to question their quality.i hope with just one designer they should be able to focus more on these things

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
I recall an interview with these guys when they first started. They claimed that they were so bro-down that they would have design meetings down in Newport whilst surfing.
I bet they all just wanted to drown each other these past few weeks.

It wouldn't suprise me if the last guy standing is related to the initial investors and the other three were getting f****d in the a**e!.

Dill

Reaction score
I recall an interview with these guys when they first started. They claimed that they were so bro-down that they would have design meetings down in Newport whilst surfing.
I bet they all just wanted to drown each other these past few weeks.

It wouldn't suprise me if the last guy standing is related to the initial investors and the other three were getting f****d in the a**e!.

Why do you have to be a dick about the whole thing? It is clear that you don't like the company and what they do, so I don't even know why you started the thread. The company was founded by four Claremont students who had no fashion training whatsoever and wanted to make cool clothes. It sucks that things didn't work out for them, but there is no need to mock them or make up asinine reasons for why they went their seperate ways.

drake

Reaction score
Rye, I think your keyboard is broken, a bunch of *'s are showing up instead of letters, you wanted to say fucked *********** (ass) right?

butts
smile.gif
)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads