• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a genuine borrelli shirt?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently purchased my first Borrelli shirt from an ebay seller at $150. I'm not sure if it's genuine though so I've taken a few pictures. Can anyone comment on them? How can one tell if sleeves or collars are hand or machine sewn?

Setting the authenticity issue aside, I really liked the fit of the shirt - it's commensurable with some of my tailored ones. The fabric felt thin to the hand. I liked the patternless white colour they used as well.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Photos:
http://imageshack.us/g/824/dscf0244e.jpg/

PS: Are there any reputable online sellers for borrelli shirts? How much do they usually retail for?

Reaction score
So the dotted line of sutures, spaced irregularly around 5mm, are the ones that are hand sewn?

What's the difference between more recent and not so recent shirts?

Thanks
Easy way to check hand sewing is to compare it to your industrial shirts, from the pictures I can see that the sleeve was hand felled, but collar and yoke front quarters appear machine finished.
It looks like a more recent, made in Apulia, shirt.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So the dotted line of sutures, spaced irregularly around 5mm, are the ones that are hand sewn?

Thanks
Quote:
Yes, pick stitch, you should see the irregularity of it, sign it was done by hand.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a related note, what are other companies that offer largely hand sown shirts? Also, what price should I expect for Borrelli shirts?

My view on the subject of hand details vs other factors was expressed here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/282854/a-view-on-neapolitan-shirtmakers-and-hand-finishes

I am based in Europe and travel to my homecity in Naples quite often, however as far as I understand from this forum, you can find Kiton, Barba, Isaia and Attolini shirts quite easily in USA (all RTW, Made in Naples and with various degree of hand finishes).

Reaction score
That's very informative, thank you!

Unfortunately I can't afford the luxury (both in terms of time and cost) of going to Italy every time I need new shirts. I usually go to a local tailor but the choice of fabric is limited. I have recently bought some high end RTW shirts through the internet and found that the Borrellis fit quite well - other than the wrist, which is a bit loose.

In case I travel to Italy for sightseeing (I can forsee doing that in a year or two), are there particular tailors that you can recommend? Is it common to ripped off as a tourist?

My view on the subject of hand details vs other factors was expressed here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/282854/a-view-on-neapolitan-shirtmakers-and-hand-finishes
I am based in Europe and travel to my homecity in Naples quite often, however as far as I understand from this forum, you can find Kiton, Barba, Isaia and Attolini shirts quite easily in USA (all RTW, Made in Naples and with various degree of hand finishes).

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

I have not seen the newer shirts but word is that they are not as well made. SF seller virtualclotheshorse.com often has good deals on high end Italian shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads