• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Jay-Z done for?

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Almost any album is going to have its high points (the song you selected isnt one of them) but that doesnt make the whole album hot.

Actually I liked that song.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
http://www.rapradar.com/music/new-mu...off-thatq.html it's just pretty decent

Like the beat and everything that is not Jay-Z or Drake rapping. The second verse is a bit better than 1 and 3 but it's just ok. Would rather hear Gucci Mane, Jeezy, Young Buck, or Rawsss on this beat, haha guess that says something about my taste in rap these days too...

Dude...

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
Nas first album's production was the best. I'll admit, his newer stuff is a little questionable, but I love the original NAS.

Agreed. I also love It Was Written, Stillmatic, and Lost Tapes, almost as much.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Agreed. I also love It Was Written, Stillmatic, and Lost Tapes, almost as much.

I'm not sure how people overlook It Was Written and StillMatic, both were excellent Stillmatic was classic. Ether, Got Yourself a Gun, 2nd Childhood, One Mic etc.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
nas does have terrible taste in production but that's the guy's prerogative. totally excusable when even his worst produced tracks (the cross, we will survive, sly fox, money over bullshit, carry on tradition) have lines/verses that make you go goddamn

I'm sorry, no lyrics can redeem building songs around Iron ******* Butterfly on back to back albums.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I'm sorry, no lyrics can redeem building songs around Iron ******* Butterfly on back to back albums.
yeah the "concept" tracks on Hip-Hop is Dead were absolutely awful

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Who killed it" made me want to smack the kufi off Nas's head and go "Smarten up Nas"

mmhollis

Reaction score
American Gangster was more of a soundtrack and yes Reasonable Doubt was hot, and the rest of his albums are good but how many artists have done greater than their first work? Not just music artists but also authors? Not too many people who have a stellar first effort continue to create work that we will perceive as being stellar.

Secondly, how are you going to retire Jay and you've only heard two songs off the album?

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
since we're talking about premo...

Nas Firmly Committed to Pissing Off DJ Premier

After being informed by his weed carriers that Premier thinks his beat selection is ******, your favorite gangsta rapper Nas decided to brag about doing a song for Dr. Dre's mysterious album, Detox. He then proceeded to crown Dre (not DJ Premier) as the greatest producer of all time.

"I did a joint. I think it's crazy," Nas says of his potential contribution to Detox. "[Dr. Dre's] someone I'd love to do a whole album with one day. He's incredible. I think he's the best producer of all time." [HipHopDX]

Hey Nas, Primo is the greatest producer of all time. Clearly, this is written in the dictionary.
man, dre just keeps producing the same three beats over and over again

i think the reason nas has such ****** taste in production is that he's high all the time. has anyone seen an interview or been to a show where he wasn't entirely blitzed and mumbling? he was mumbling on the o'reilly factor for god's sake. it's a miracle he can get it together and sound as lucid as he does on his tracks

Best Hip-Hop producer, Pete Rock FTW!!!

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pete rock is dope. my art director's ringtone is the track that T.R.O.Y. samples
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
You're da Man is one of my favorite Nas songs.
"I saw a dead bird flying through a broken sky" is probably one of the more evocative lines i've ever heard

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads