• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it ok to wear a tuxedo to an evening wedding?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, erpet did the proper thing and resurrected an old thread rather than start a new one for an already discussed topic. Bra jobbat, erpet!

correct but i was referring to what GBR responded to...the OP's original post FROM 2 YEARS AGO!!!!

hyt123

Reaction score
All right, so when the invitation to an afternoon wedding in the U.S. does not specify any dresscode, wearing a navy suit would be an appropriate thing to do for me as a guest? I'm double checking since where I live (Sweden), an invitation without a specified dresscode means formal wear.

Also, the U.S. is not homogenous; west coast is more casual than east, generally speaking. You won't be too far off the mark in a navy suit, though, as long as you don't look like you were at the office before showing up, so spice it up a bit with a french-cuffed shirt, understated links, and a lighter tie. If you need to dress down further you can always lose the tie; just make sure you're wearing a v-neck undershirt that won't show if you need to unbutton the top of your shirt.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Also, the U.S. is not homogenous; west coast is more casual than east, generally speaking. You won't be too far off the mark in a navy suit, though, as long as you don't look like you were at the office before showing up, so spice it up a bit with a french-cuffed shirt, understated links, and a lighter tie. If you need to dress down further you can always lose the tie; just make sure you're wearing a v-neck undershirt that won't show if you need to unbutton the top of your shirt.

good advice...

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The best advice is to ask, if possible. There is a good chance that the bride and groom will appreciate people being dressed formally and will tell you so. Or they will tell you not to.
On the other hand, I disagree with the advice that you can never wear black tie if the invitation doesn't specify it. I have been to many weddings where some of the guests were in black tie even though the invitation said nothing. They looked fine and not at all out of place - it was an evening wedding, which is by definition fairly formal. Unless you know the wedding is of the aggressively informal type, then while suits are the norm,d black-tie might be unusual but still perfectly within the dress code. On the other hand, except when I have checked beforehand, I have never worn black tie when the invitation didn't specify it.

Wow. Your world is a magical place. I would kill to get into such a social circle. Is that one of the requirements?

I'm afraid that, for most people, your experience is the precise opposite of theirs. Unless you know that the wedding is aggressively formal, you will look like an idiot showing up in a tuxedo even if the wedding and reception are in the middle of the night. Omit a precise dress code from the invitation, and a significant number of people will show up in flip-flops and cargo shorts.

If you are having the reception at a venue that has a dress code, e.g., a country club, do not assume that people will realize automatically that there is a dress code. Sadly, you had better specify that dress code on the invitation. Even then, you are likely in for a few embarrassing situations when people ignore it anyway.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Wow. Your world is a magical place. I would kill to get into such a social circle. Is that one of the requirements?
I'm afraid that, for most people, your experience is the precise opposite of theirs. Unless you know that the wedding is aggressively formal, you will look like an idiot showing up in a tuxedo even if the wedding and reception are in the middle of the night. Omit a precise dress code from the invitation, and a significant number of people will show up in flip-flops and cargo shorts.
If you are having the reception at a venue that has a dress code, e.g., a country club, do not assume that people will realize automatically that there is a dress code. Sadly, you had better specify that dress code on the invitation. Even then, you are likely in for a few embarrassing situations when people ignore it anyway.

Keep in mind that I live in a city, where everything is more formal, and hang out with the old people. But your comment points to the fact that nothing can replace having a feel for the event and the likely dress of the people who will be there.

erpet

Reaction score

Also, the U.S. is not homogenous; west coast is more casual than east, generally speaking. ............

Thanks for good advice, everyone.

The wedding is in a church in Washington DC and the reception in a 19th century club, which probably also has a dresscode I should check out. (Which supersedes the other, by the way?)

I'm afraid to ask the hosts since I am afraid of their answer; I prefer my wonderful navy Zegna suit to my old stuffy tux......

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back in the old country, I was always under the impression that it is improper for the hosts to outdress the guests. If the hosts specify black tie, and then show up in white tie themselves it is poor form. Same thing with the tuxedo/suit debacle - the wedding party should dress a "level up" to distinguish themselves, as that is rather garish. Then again, we also don't have matching ties and pocketsquares for the groom and groomsmen.

?

hyt123

Reaction score
Thanks for good advice, everyone.
The wedding is in a church in Washington DC and the reception in a 19th century club, which probably also has a dresscode I should check out. (Which supersedes the other, by the way?)
I'm afraid to ask the hosts since I am afraid of their answer; I prefer my wonderful navy Zegna suit to my old stuffy tux......

The more formal one supersedes the other, following the general rule of thumb that it is always better to be over- than under-dressed. However, the hosts' preference trumps both, so again- the best answer is that you really should ask. I would only consider a suit if your hosts' answer is somewhere along of the lines of "We don't care."

Personally? I'd rather be uncomfortable for 2 minutes on the phone asking them what the dress code is, than uncomfortable from now until the wedding day second-guessing myself, then self-conscious all afternoon and evening when the day finally arrives because I showed up dressed wrong. Ask today so that you have time to get your old tux tailored if needed.

Last edited:

erpet

Reaction score
You make perfect sense, hyt123, so I checked it out and it's "regular shirt and tie", thank heavens.

So now the fun starts; picking tie and PS. I will go for whit shirt.

Cheers!

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can certainly agree on asking the bride and groom regarding the proper attire. You really should not under any circumstances go as a guest and outdress them.

NoCleverName

Reaction score
All right, so when the invitation to an afternoon wedding in the U.S. does not specify any dresscode, wearing a navy suit would be an appropriate thing to do for me as a guest? I'm double checking since where I live (Sweden), an invitation without a specified dresscode means formal wear.

Yeah, unspecified in the U.S. normally means suit/tie and not a tux. In reality, wedding invitations should probably always specify in the U.S. as we've sort of lost track of the customs regarding what is to be worn to a given event.

This is pretty informative:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplemental/Weddings.htm

erpet

Reaction score
The need for specification of dresscode is probably not unique for the U.S. We in Sweden lost track a long time ago.

Actually, nowadays, in practice, it could be considered inpolite not to write anything. I mean - if it is more important to show that you know what no information on the dresscode means than it is that your guests feel comfortable, you have taken a pretty elitist position.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads