• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see some burberry trench coat with label says 'burberrys' along with knight on a horse logo, is this same as Burberry or is it different designer?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Same company, different vintage. The "new" Burberrys' is "Burberry" while the older one is "Burberrys'". Others would have to speak to any quality difference.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until Rose Marie Bravo took over at Burberry, the company had descended into complete chaos, lost its cachet, and the majority of the good carrying the label were made by poorly monitored licensees. After she took over and bought back many (I think most) the the licences, the quality and design of Burberry products has inreased greatly, in general. I think that HSM had the license to make "Burberrys" suits for a while.

Kaga

Reaction score
Until Rose Marie Bravo took over at Burberry, the company had descended into complete chaos, lost its cachet, and the majority of the good carrying the label were made by poorly monitored licensees.  After she took over and bought back many (I think most) the the licences, the quality and design of Burberry products has inreased greatly, in general.  I think that HSM had the license to make "Burberrys" suits for a while.
If my memory serves me correctly, the current Burberrys incarnation "Burberry" still sells much US-made licensed clothing, such as suits and shirts made by IAG. Its subsidiaries Kenneth Gordon or Gitman Brothers make the shirts. The NYC Burberry MTM trenchcoat program has the coats made, IMMSMC, in New Jersey.
Burberry and its wretched tartan have once again had their moment and the label in my opinion is again slowly sinking into a now postmodern, self-referential logo-covered anomie.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a nice looking overcoat, but I think the seller is blowing smoke when he says it is a last-season Prorsum model, considering the logo.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Burberry Prorsum's labels are white with off white lettering. There are no logos, designs on the label. Always made in Italy, and designed by Christopher Bailey.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burberry Prorsum's labels are white with off white lettering. There are no logos, designs on the label. Always made in Italy, and designed by Christopher Bailey.

In general this is true. On older pieces (Menichetti years), there is the additional word "Prorsum Line" under the "Burberry". And some of their larger labels (for example on outerwear) are in colors complementary to the piece. For example, I have a navy/midnight blue short double-breasted cotton jacket from the third S/S season (I think?) that has a medium brown tone-on-tone label on the inside pocket.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In general this is true. Â On older pieces (Menichetti years), there is the additional word "Prorsum Line" under the "Burberry". Â And some of their larger labels (for example on outerwear) are in colors complementary to the piece. Â For example, I have a navy/midnight blue short double-breasted cotton jacket from the third S/S season (I think?) that has a medium brown tone-on-tone label on the inside pocket.
I didn't particularly like Roberto Menichetti. I've also seen bags with this sort of label design from Prorsum. Somewhat similar to Balenciaga, the tag look.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my memory serves me correctly, the current Burberrys incarnation "Burberry" still sells much US-made licensed clothing, such as suits and shirts made by IAG.

Burberry tailored clothing is made by Hickey-Freeman; all fused, no handwork. Basically the product line Hickey used to do called Hickey-Freeman Ltd. that didn't sell.

Jimbobsie

Reaction score
I have a Burberry trench coat. The fabric has a slight sheen. There is no fabric content label. There are spare buttons in a little polythene bag. All the buttons have Burberry written on them. There is a pocket inside with a zip. On the other inside there is a pocket which fastens with a button. Everything looks like Burberry but I am worried it is not genuine as the label in the back is pale stone like the main fabric, with black writing. Made in England. The only other label gives washing instructions. Please could you help with letting me know if you think it is genuine please. Many thanks

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Burberry trench coat. The fabric has a slight sheen. There is no fabric content label. There are spare buttons in a little polythene bag. All the buttons have Burberry written on them. There is a pocket inside with a zip. On the other inside there is a pocket which fastens with a button. Everything looks like Burberry but I am worried it is not genuine as the label in the back is pale stone like the main fabric, with black writing. Made in England. The only other label gives washing instructions. Please could you help with letting me know if you think it is genuine please. Many thanks
You'll need pictures for people to help...

Jimbobsie

Reaction score
You'll need pictures for people to help...

P1400070.JPG

P1400071.JPG

Chastours

Reaction score
Sorry to say this Sir but that looks Mickey Mouse to me...otherwise the quality control had Stevie Wonder working for them that day.

The quality of stitching just isn't there

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads