• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is bespoke worth it, judging by the examples posted on SF?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Doc, how often, in real life, do you see guys wearing bespoke numbers from the great centers of tailoring?

Some have it, some see it but don't have it, some see it only in professional or amateur photography, and most never encounter it at all.

Reaction to this topic differs by these categories I think.

I put my Rubinacci suits on over my stark naked body and stare at myself in the mirror for a regimented eight minutes a day. Just so I never forget.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I put my Rubinacci suits on over my stark naked body and stare at myself in the mirror for a regimented eight minutes a day. Just so I never forget.
How do you deal with the hard on?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think I order open quarters for?
Ah...!!!
smile.gif

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The forum puts a lot of stock in "bespoke" as a romantic ideal -- go bespoke for "perfect fit" and have your every wish fulfilled. Look at how we're discussing it in this thread: Is bespoke, as an abstract concept, worth it?

I say no. There's too much bad bespoke out there. Sometimes it's the tailor's fault and sometimes it's the client's. Sometimes it's both. To invoke Sturgeon's Law, 90 percent of everything is crud.

It should be noted a lot of the 'bespoke' experiences mentioned on SF are distance tailored (usually Hong Kong) stuff that never even had a fitting, or just one. I also would note that the custom tailoring in places like HK, even if multi-fitted on site, is still is a significant rung below top level European tailoring, especially when we're talking about the intricacies involved with shoulders, etc, which the HK guys aren't very flexible with. I don't think we've ever seen a pic of an ill-fitting Savile Row suit before however, so I think they are worth every penny because of that.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
It should be noted a lot of the 'bespoke' experiences mentioned on SF are distance tailored (usually Hong Kong) stuff that never even had a fitting, or just one. I also would note that the custom tailoring in places like HK, even if multi-fitted on site, is still is a significant rung below top level European tailoring, especially when we're talking about the intricacies involved with shoulders, etc, which the HK guys aren't very flexible with. I don't think we've ever seen a pic of an ill-fitting Savile Row suit before however, so I think they are worth every penny because of that.

That's MTM, not bespoke.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmm. I can think of a few wretched examples.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you do the same thing with the odd jackets?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
opII-sartorialist1.jpg

It is incredibly excellent that this guy has several cases of bananas in his workshop.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't think we've ever seen a pic of an ill-fitting Savile Row suit before however, so I think they are worth every penny because of that.

You have just summoned the bats.

- B

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members