• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is bespoke worth it, judging by the examples posted on SF?

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this was summed up well by some other members once before, but basically RTW when it does go wrong, goes less wrong, whereas when bespoke goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong. At the same time, bespoke has the potential to be much, much better than RTW ever can. Unfortunately, I'm a small and odd shape/size, which means I have no RTW option. For me, bespoke is always better than the nonexistent alternative.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I think so. There are a few posters who can really look good in OTR stuff (Doc Holliday comes to mind) but he is a very "normal" body type and I think he also has a lot of stuff tailored. Having gone the bespoke route myself now (I guess this diverges from the "by the examples posted on SF" stipulation) I can say that the clothes obviously fit and look better on me. Now, if you want to get into some real financial value argument when you are talking about "worth" well then that's another topic that I don't think is going to go anywhere.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...but be prepared, you can be caught in irrational discussions, when you show it on sf.
smile.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
I think this was summed up well by some other members once before, but basically RTW when it does go wrong, goes less wrong, whereas when bespoke goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong. At the same time, bespoke has the potential to be much, much better than RTW ever can. Unfortunately, I'm a small and odd shape/size, which means I have no RTW option. For me, bespoke is always better than the nonexistent alternative.

1) I want judgment to be made using what is posted on SF.
2) I voted "worth it" cause I think the owners are generally satisfied and their look won't adversely affect their survival rate or bring about other major calamities. As simple as that.
3) To be honest I don't see how "the best bespoke has to be better than RTW" but I don't think it has to be to bring something special.

Frihed89

Reaction score
My shoe career started buying tassle loafers and buckle shoes from the Andover Shop in the ´50s. That didn't last long. For the next 40 years, I wore mostly sneakers and sandals, thanks to my career choice. In the last 15 years, I've taken to wearing leather footwear, mainly country-style shoes for walking comfort. Now I am ready to buy some decent Brogues and call it quits.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For me it has been. I know not everyone likes how I want my stuff cut, more slim, because it shows some "pulling", but I'm very happy with it. I enjoy the process greatly mostly because almost every aesthetic detail is how I want it, and wearing the garments make me feel good. The process from selecting the fabric, lining buttons and details allows me to be my own designer if you will. The eye and experience of a tailor helps me with that process as well, as I'll ask lots of questions regarding the construction AND the look. Cost also is a bonus as in the past I would settle for something that I may not have ENTIRELY liked because I could get it cheaply (think Century 21 and Outlet Shopping) and I would get tons of different things. This was when I was in my 20's and now as I approach my mid 30's and I know more about clothing (in no small part due to the folks here and at AAAC) I find myself choosing things that will last longer in terms of construction and style. Also, when I was skinnier (again, in my 20's) I was a much easier fit off the peg, but now that my upper body and back has grown from working out, I find most brands don't carry a large enough drop for me, and generally don't fit me as well as they used to, but that could also be a result of seeing how a garment should fit once one is made JUST for you. Its also cool for me that I've struck up a friendship with my tailor as we have tons in common (age, ethnicity, locale, kids, interests and hobbies). We've swapped wines, had lunches, and I generally enjoy hanging out and shooting the ****. Not too many fellas in the real world appreciate the elements of men's dress like I do, so a tailor who is of a similar age and background is great. **edit** The key though is to manage expectations. Remember the bespoke tailor is an artisan, and a human. Nothing, in bespoke, or life, will ever be perfect. If you can manage to do that for yourself, then I expect you'd agree that bespoke is worth it. Hope that makes sense.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good bespoke is definitely worth it. Not just for the end result, but the entire process, the experience, the building a relationship with your tailor (if all goes well, it could well be an almost lifelong relationship), the cameraderie. Everything as a whole makes it so worthwhile when it works well (ie. you've found the right tailor who you gel well with and creates just what you want to the standard you want).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judging by the examples posted on SF, I believe there's an overwhelming majority of good bespoke results. Are they perfect? Generally no, but who cares for perfection?

Now, judging by the examples posted on SF, I would say there's an overwhelming majority of bad MTM results, particularly online MTM. Some is truly horrendous, far worse than even buying a cheap RTW in the wrong size.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Since I see 95% complaints, let's poal!! Since it is public you might want to justify your answer.
The funny thing is that the one's who are usually complaining are not intimately involved the bespoke process, have no inkling how the maker works or have had zero items bespoken before. Essentially, people, when they hear bespoke, they immediately raise their standards to expect everything to fall in place nicely like clothes on a model in a high end catalog. Photos posted in WAYRN or critique threads are of real people complete with their physical flaws and (hopefully) no photoshop. It is very difficult to judge based on photos. Even a change of angle or stance can alter one's perspective of what fits or doesn't. There are occasions when bespoke is worth the money and other times when it doesn't. Bespoke is not just about the end product but the process and how educational and enjoyable it is when you meet the right artisan.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
For me it has been. I know not everyone likes how I want my stuff cut, more slim, because it shows some "pulling", but I'm very happy with it. I enjoy the process greatly mostly because almost every aesthetic detail is how I want it, and wearing the garments make me feel good.

The process from selecting the fabric, lining buttons and details allows me to be my own designer if you will. The eye and experience of a tailor helps me with that process as well, as I'll ask lots of questions regarding the construction AND the look.

Cost also is a bonus as in the past I would settle for something that I may not have ENTIRELY liked because I could get it cheaply (think Century 21 and Outlet Shopping) and I would get tons of different things. This was when I was in my 20's and now as I approach my mid 30's and I know more about clothing (in no small part due to the folks here and at AAAC) I find myself choosing things that will last longer in terms of construction and style.

Also, when I was skinnier (again, in my 20's) I was a much easier fit off the peg, but now that my upper body and back has grown from working out, I find most brands don't carry a large enough drop for me, and generally don't fit me as well as they used to, but that could also be a result of seeing how a garment should fit once one is made JUST for you.

Its also cool for me that I've struck up a friendship with my tailor as we have tons in common (age, ethnicity, locale, kids, interests and hobbies). We've swapped wines, had lunches, and I generally enjoy hanging out and shooting the ****. Not too many fellas in the real world appreciate the elements of men's dress like I do, so a tailor who is of a similar age and background is great.

**edit**

The key though is to manage expectations. Remember the bespoke tailor is an artisan, and a human. Nothing, in bespoke, or life, will ever be perfect. If you can manage to do that for yourself, then I expect you'd agree that bespoke is worth it.

Hope that makes sense.

I personally love the fit of all of your stuff (you got my vote for esquire, no ****), I wear mine pretty much the same way. Who do you use?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
There are occasions when bespoke is worth the money and other times when it doesn't. Bespoke is not just about the end product but the process and how educational and enjoyable it is when you meet the right artisan.

correct

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Since I see 95% complaints, let's poal!! Since it is public you might want to justify your answer.

Yeah bespoke is worth every penny. Then again, in asia, bespoke is cheaper than OTR.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging only by the examples posted on SF I voted no. But I think the posted examples miss a great deal of the benefits of bespoke which, at least in my mind, are three-fold.

1. You get what you want.
2. It fits.
3. The process is a pleasurable experience.

None of these are really evident from pictures posted on SF. For example, in Manton's A&S thread he says it fits well although the armholes are a touch higher than he's used to. That thread is approximately 20 pages of vitriol, 10 pages of madness, 10 pages of snark, 5 pages of +1 and 5 pages of really interesting discussion. Nowhere in those 50 pages can anyone but Manton really tell how it fits. Similarly, while we can read about the experience and some posters have been kind enough to photograph the experience but I think we can all agree that's not the same as having the experience first hand.

Judging purely from photographs posted on SF bespoke produces some really wonderful pieces of clothing (particularly when the owner has built a relationship with a tailor a la vintagegent and chan) and some pretty terrible pieces and in the end I don't htink you can say it's worth it based only on the pictures posted here.

edit: gdl makes a really good point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads