• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This thread has gone down the *******.
as the hype dies people realize it's actually not anything new, just something new for iPhans that had garbage for a long while now catching up :teach:

That's all folks! The show is over, time to go home. See you all again next year in the iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 thread.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For folks that went from 4 to 5 (not 4s), this is actually a pretty significant upgrade. Today I said to Siri "call x in z city" and it called. And dictating sms and emails to text is pretty useful.

The more I use it, the more I am convinced its a pretty fantastic evolution.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For folks that went from 4 to 5 (not 4s), this is actually a pretty significant upgrade. Today I said to Siri "call x in z city" and it called. And dictating sms and emails to text is pretty useful.
The more I use it, the more I am convinced its a pretty fantastic evolution.

siri voice recognition still sucks compared to google's. can't even give me directions home. 3 of us at work were trying to get it to understand and give us the correct responses and it was wrong almost every time. We weren't deliberately trying to trip it up either since one of us was the apple fanboy of the office and it all started when he started talking about how awesome siri was.

The one thing I DO like about siri is its use of wolfram alpha, which I absolutely love. But I can just use wolfram alpha because siri doesn't always use it. I asked it what a parametric equation was, and you'd think it would default to asking wolfram that type of question, but it just wanted to google it.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iPio asked his stylist for this cut

saqeje2y.jpg

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

siri voice recognition still sucks compared to google's. can't even give me directions home. 3 of us at work were trying to get it to understand and give us the correct responses and it was wrong almost every time. We weren't deliberately trying to trip it up either since one of us was the apple fanboy of the office and it all started when he started talking about how awesome siri was.
The one thing I DO like about siri is its use of wolfram alpha, which I absolutely love. But I can just use wolfram alpha because siri doesn't always use it. I asked it what a parametric equation was, and you'd think it would default to asking wolfram that type of question, but it just wanted to google it.

Fair enough, but if you dont know **** about **** (me) then its pretty bad ass. It even knows my name.

Man... to be able to sit in the car and dictate emails on the way home is a new paradigm for me.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that this is a significant upgrade over the 4. At least for me, Siri works quite well local things like movie times and so on the fly. I'm loving the video mirroring. It's incredibly fast. And personally I really like the form factor.

Maps is currently a deficit. However I think there would've been less blowback in the press if more people understood that the 3-D maps feature Is essentially a photorealistic reskinned 3-D model and not supposed to be as photorealistic as something like Google Street View the first place. Plus there are workarounds for both Google maps and street view for the time being.

What gets me is why people would think that turn by turn navigation is more important than transit times. There are app replacements for transit, and personally I find turn by turn very annoying.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like turn by turn, sometimes I get distracted while driving and turn by turn saves the day.

emptym

Reaction score
I imagine that audible turn by turn directions would be very helpful on a motorcycle. But I haven't tried it. Currently, I have to (try to) memorize directions.

Last edited:

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just ordered the 64gb black, upgrading from a 4S hope its not a mistake :puzzled:

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All the talk agrees with this but my experience is different. I think the main thing is not charging on short cycles. The people I know who complain the most about battery life are charging their phone every opportunity trying to keep it fully charged.

Umm I'm pretty sure lithium ion batteries don't have "memory" issues or whatever.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^That was my understanding with new batteries. The old ones you needed to be careful about how you charged them, but that is now a thing of the past.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been wanting to watch the movie since it came out, we even rented the movie but I fell asleep.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All the talk agrees with this but my experience is different. I think the main thing is not charging on short cycles. The people I know who complain the most about battery life are charging their phone every opportunity trying to keep it fully charged.

Umm I'm pretty sure lithium ion batteries don't have "memory" issues or whatever.

^That was my understanding with new batteries. The old ones you needed to be careful about how you charged them, but that is now a thing of the past.

I agree, that's what everyone says. Did my routine on the first charge on this phone, took it off the charger 7AM last Monday and just checked the charge. Battery is at 31% on the beginning of the 5th day. Might have used the phone a bit less this week. Use the landline during the day more than the mobile. If I had to charge my phone everyday, it would drive me crazy so I keep doing this. Last phone was a 3S and it would hold a charge for an average of 4 days on each charge. YMMV

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads