• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad 2.0

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Another useless product one could do without.

Kudos to apples for forging out a completely new market segment to drive top line growth.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are there any word processing apps for these? My girlfriend has this old Dell laptop probably 8 years old that keeps breaking. She only uses her computer to watch movies/netflix, music, internet and sometimes word documents and such. You think she would be able to replace her computer with one of these? She is a makeup artist and needs to reference her digital portfolio and such when meeting prosective clients and such. I thought this would be good for her, am I right in thinking this?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Are there any word processing apps for these? My girlfriend has this old Dell laptop probably 8 years old that keeps breaking. She only uses her computer to watch movies/netflix, music, internet and sometimes word documents and such. You think she would be able to replace her computer with one of these? She is a makeup artist and needs to reference her digital portfolio and such when meeting prosective clients and such. I thought this would be good for her, am I right in thinking this?

You can get Apple PAGES for it and I believe there are some other alternatives too.

I think they are at the point that someone who uses a computer in the way your girlfriend does could get away with it. You can always get her a good bluetooth keyboard too.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems like the ideal user for this thing. pages is good for word processing. if she has gmail, she could also use google docs.

there's also a free photoshop app you can use to edit pics on the ipad, too, which is really convenient.

i just got the 2.0 and the only thing i really use my macbook for now is storage since i have 270+ gigs of music.

Wolfador

Reaction score
I used Pages and Office2HD for word processing. You can also use a bluetooth keyboard with it for easier working.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
seems like the ideal user for this thing. pages is good for word processing. if she has gmail, she could also use google docs.

there's also a free photoshop app you can use to edit pics on the ipad, too, which is really convenient.

i just got the 2.0 and the only thing i really use my macbook for now is storage since i have 270+ gigs of music.

MY 4 year old Macbook is looking long in the tooth and I have been considering just getting an iPad for now. Figure it would keep me happy enough that I won't need to replace the laptop as soon.

Only thing holding me back has been the pixel density. I really wish it was higher.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm sure a version with retina display will be announced now that i took the plunge....

i'm in the same boat as you. my 08 macbook needs a new battery and disc drive (won't read DVDs). i figured that for not much more pricewise, i may as well just get the ipad and keep the macbook use to a minimum since the ipad will handle 99% of my daily needs. if the photoshop applications are robust enough, it'll be 100%.

i never even considered how damn convenient it is to read in bed, too. had the iPad 1 for a while and the new form factor really is leaps and bounds better.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint

really? i play around with the ipad but often have to reach for the macbook when i get "stuck" with something, mainly web browsing.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the most part, yes. i'm still in the honeymoon phase but it gets most of my stuff done without any issues. i'm having no issues with web browsing now that i have bookmarks set up and haven't hit any snags yet... the "pages" aspect of the browser is a PITA, though, and i'm looking forward to tab browsing in the update.

i'm on the hunt for magazine subscription recommendations if anybody has any. got GQ to mess around with and it's pretty impressive as far as how interactive it is.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tropics
really? i play around with the ipad but often have to reach for the macbook when i get "stuck" with something, mainly web browsing.

You really shouldn't have any issues with web browsing other then missing out on FLASH content.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
You can get Apple PAGES for it and I believe there are some other alternatives too.

I think they are at the point that someone who uses a computer in the way your girlfriend does could get away with it. You can always get her a good bluetooth keyboard too.

Check out the zagg.com keyboard/case. Pretty awesome...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since getting my iPad, I only really use my laptop for downloading media, putting songs on my iPhone and for photo editing on Lightroom.

Everything else is on the iPad.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Since getting my iPad, I only really use my laptop for downloading media, putting songs on my iPhone and for photo editing on Lightroom. Everything else is on the iPad.
Same here. My laptop is used rarely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads