• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview rules when you know the culture of the office you are interviewing, and the average age-IT

Alathea

Reaction score
I was discussing this thread with my wife and in laws last night, and the have offered to pay for a suit, within reason (MW/JaB type) so, it looks like im off to MW today, as they are one of the few clothiers in Lincoln that will have the price point that I need to stay within.

Thank you all for your various inputs and opinions-some of my consternation is my own fault. It's difficult to be told that what you have worn your whole life, and what you have seen others wear is 'wrong'. Ill get over it.

Off to go suit shopping. I'm thinking charcoal, two piece-seems to be the most versatile.

:)

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:facepalm: :brick: :censored:

Return the MW suit. Read here for a bit. Determine your measurements and get a decent suit for the same money. Just as before, you are making another mistake. If you take the time to educate yourself a little bit you will be much better for it.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its a suit. Im not paying for it. Its not my money. I don't exactly get to be picky. 

I really don't get why you would come here asking for advice, argue that you know better, then do what you were going to do in the first place.

Yes, being offered a free suit is great. If you told your in-laws that you know how to get a much better suit for the same $$ as the crap they sell at MW, and could explain whyMW suits are not going to last, wouldn't they want to buy you the best they could for the money?

Whatever, get your piece of crap and good luck.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When do we tell OP he must get a bespoke suit?

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Do you have a job offer yet?

aperson

Reaction score
I actually work at a tech company. If you're interviewing for a technical position, you will look weird and feel uncomfortable in a suit.

I recommend wearing a sportcoat and dress shirt. No tie.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score

I really don't get why you would come here asking for advice, argue that you know better, then do what you were going to do in the first place.
Yes, being offered a free suit is great. If you told your in-laws that you know how to get a much better suit for the same $$ as the crap they sell at MW, and could explain whyMW suits are not going to last, wouldn't they want to buy you the best they could for the money?
Whatever, get your piece of crap and good luck.

Chill out.

kungapa

Reaction score
What has been said is not that you need a suit, it is that if you don't have one don't try and emulate one. Wear odd jacket with odd trousers of different colors, and you'll be fine.

droy

Reaction score

For the love of God, don't wear a pocket square. Wear the suit as though it were a normal interview courtesy, but you will really look like you're tying too hard if you wear the pocket square. You want the job, you know the office culture won't punish you for wearing one later, but don't risk looking like you're flaunting your vanity at your first introduction.

For what it's worth I agree with this. If you're worried about being both professional and not being perceived as stuffy, a pocket square isn't helping. In both engineering and IT I haven't ran across a pocket square in over a decade and that was at an awards banquet. Also, I would consider a solid colored tie (either burgundy or medium to light blue). If you have a navy blue blazer and grey pants, that might work better than a black suit which is a little "harsh" for an interview and walks the line between casual and professional a little better. Also, for what it's worth I've read that white shirts work better in interviews...something to do with eliciting trust better than colored shirts. I can't verify this since it's based on a study that I read many years ago...like 10 years ago.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...and good luck!

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For what it's worth I agree with this. If you're worried about being both professional and not being perceived as stuffy, a pocket square isn't helping. In both engineering and IT I haven't ran across a pocket square in over a decade and that was at an awards banquet. Also, I would consider a solid colored tie (either burgundy or medium to light blue). If you have a navy blue blazer and grey pants, that might work better than a black suit which is a little "harsh" for an interview and walks the line between casual and professional a little better. Also, for what it's worth I've read that white shirts work better in interviews...something to do with eliciting trust better than colored shirts. I can't verify this since it's based on a study that I read many years ago...like 10 years ago.
Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...and good luck!

too late

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads