• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview rules when you know the culture of the office you are interviewing, and the average age-IT

Alathea

Reaction score
I have an interview with a very fast rising IT/Distributed Services company on Tuesday, where it has a 'google-esque' work atmosphere. Client facing, they are conservative to a point, but in the office chinos, untucked collared shirts with sweaters, and remote controlled helicopters (with a foosball table on the side) are normal. They are recognized by Fortune Inc as one of America's fastest growing companies, and they have grown 600% in the last 5 years. Work life balance is a huge part of their small (under 50) company.

SO-do I do the standard interview black/white/with conservative shoes, or do I dress down a bit? I don't want to seem stuffy or uptight, but the CEO of the company is my age and his number 2 is slightly younger. The average age of the company is just out of college at the base level and they are all very smart, young, driven. The mission statement is as much about work/life/family balance as it is about success.

Is it ever bad form to dress down a little for an interview when you know that you'll be the nicest dressed person in the room when you show up for an interview?

CAS

Last edited:

sns23

Reaction score
suit for the interview. You can wear business casual for your first day of work.

Archivist

Reaction score
Wear the suit.

An interview is a formal occasion. Dressing correctly shows respect for them, respect for yourself, and that you take yourself seriously. If you ever end up interviewing with anyone who is going to discount you for dressing well, you should consider if they are someone you want to work with, because it indicates a lack of seriousness and maturity on their part.

I interview people for software development positions at a company that is very informal. Everyone there appreciates when someone dresses well for interviews. And since we are talking about engineers on both sides of the table, you see all sorts of things.

Now, that said, how you dress will not have much to do with whether you get the job or not. That's about you.

Last edited:

Alathea

Reaction score
Thanks. After 6 years, im finding that my resume is 'old fashioned' (im 35), my interview style is overly formal (as told by a friend that was on a committee), and in one rejection I was actually told that I was overly formal, and over qualified. I just wanted to make sure that the rules haven't changed somewhere and I missed the boat.

Its frustrating. Ive been out of work for a month now, and unemployment insurance hasn't yet been processed. My last job kept me really busy in 1 niche of IT work, so ive been having to bone up on some things that I hadn't focused on in the last few years.

Ill treat it as I normally do, and go forward from there. Thanks, guys.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked at a tech company in silicon valley where the VPs wore shorts almost every day.

I interviewed dozens of candidates in my time. I can tell you that some wore suits, and some wore business casual, it basically didn't matter. I hired one guy I definitely remember did not wear a suit, and hired another who definitely did.

Just don't try to get wacky.

If you aren't confident of your judgment, wear a suit.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

suit for the interview. You can wear business casual for your first day of work.

Always wear a suit, no matter how casual the work environment might be. I just interviewed with a software non-profit in San francisco, about as casual a work environment as you'll come across, and just annoy the first thing the hiring manager said to me was "nice tie." I'd 'out-dressed' everyone in the office that day, but I'd also made a good impression.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have an interview with a very fast rising IT/Distributed Services company on Tuesday, where it has a 'google-esque' work atmosphere. Client facing, they are conservative to a point, but in the office chinos, untucked collared shirts with sweaters, and remote controlled helicopters (with a foosball table on the side) are normal. They are recognized by Fortune Inc as one of America's fastest growing companies, and they have grown 600% in the last 5 years. Work life balance is a huge part of their small (under 50) company. 

Do they have those free grilled cheese sandwiches?

Alathea

Reaction score
All great feedback guys, thank you. My interview is tomorrow and i'm going with black on black with white or blue shirt and a pocket square. Later tomorrow I have another hastily scheduled interview (by the prospective employer) where he said "Don't worry about dressing up....."

Does anyone want to interpret that? Its for Ameritas (insurance company) for a position as a Systems Support/Analyst.

Ive never been told to not dress up before.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good advice has already been given so we wish you good luck on the interview. Let us know how it works out.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
For the love of God, don't wear a pocket square. Wear the suit as though it were a normal interview courtesy, but you will really look like you're tying too hard if you wear the pocket square. You want the job, you know the office culture won't punish you for wearing one later, but don't risk looking like you're flaunting your vanity at your first introduction.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit with a blue shirt for the interview - bright tie. Pocket square is fine, I do not understand the nonsense written here about not wearing them for interviews. At the end of the day you not your wardrobe are being interviewed, the only time that it would be called into question would be if you wore morning dress!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads