Interview rules when you know the culture of the office you are interviewing, and the average age-IT

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alathea, Feb 12, 2012.

  1. Nikias

    Nikias Active Member

    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    May 9, 2010
    Location:
    London
    I don't think anyone is ever going to knock you for wearing a suit and tie to a job interview in an office, but details like handkerchiefs in your breast pocket or other little eccentricities can produce a mixed reaction. Were I the interviewer, I'd probably be mildly impressed by a tasteful pocket square, but some people can have extreme reactions to eye-catching details like that, particularly on junior staff. I would not risk it, personally, but it's your call.
     


  2. JubeiSpiegel

    JubeiSpiegel Senior member

    Messages:
    5,387
    Likes Received:
    966
    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Location:
    Sartorial Wasteland
    Linen pocket square, with a presidential fold, should be fine. The only way that can be taken negatively is if you include some dandy detail or puffery.

    The interesting bit that no one has addressed is the fact that your other interviewer told you that there was no need to dress up. It seems like a loaded request. Either you dressing up will be taken as a sign of respect and going above and beyond, or you will be chastised for not following simple directions by the interviewer...

    What a dilemma, i hope the best for you, report back what happens...
     


  3. Savile Row

    Savile Row Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    65
    Likes Received:
    7
    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Somewhat analogous to being invited to a dinner party wherein the hostess-to-be throws out the token, "Oh, just bring yourself..."
    You still bring that bottle of wine, right...?

    Yes, old sport, wear your staple navy blue suit to the job interview.
    Plenty of chaps don't sport a suit at interview... but you don't want to be that guy, do you?

    I also agree with Mr. Chan's sentiment to not wear a pocket square.
    Save that accoutrement for after you have established yourself.

    Bon chance !
     


  4. unbelragazzo

    unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

    Messages:
    8,375
    Likes Received:
    4,569
    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    On seeming too formal, etc...change that with your personality, not your outfit. Just remember to smile, maybe get a joke in so that they know you can have a good time.
     


  5. Towers

    Towers Senior member

    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    270
    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2011
    Location:
    Canada
    

    +1

    Wearing a pocket square can come off as affected and silly looking. I've been on panels where people will comment on a conspicuous pocket square but have never walked out of one where someone has said "did you see he wasn't wearing a pocket square?!?".
     


  6. cbbuff

    cbbuff Senior member

    Messages:
    1,251
    Likes Received:
    43
    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2010
    Location:
    Boulder, CO
    +1 on the no PS.

    Also, wear a charcoal or navy suit of you have it, not black.
     


  7. mkarim

    mkarim Senior member

    Messages:
    4,645
    Likes Received:
    32
    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    

    +100
     


  8. mkarim

    mkarim Senior member

    Messages:
    4,645
    Likes Received:
    32
    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    

    Yes, charcoal or navy suit, white shirt and navy (or any other conservative) tie. No French cuffs, no PS.
     


  9. Alathea

    Alathea Member

    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2012
    Wow. It seems that there are as many questions and opinions in here as I have. Great, I have some things to think about for the future.


    As it was, I have an olive jacket, a black jacket-no charcoal and not a full on tailored suit. So, I went with black jacket/pants/shoes, blue shirt, off blue patterned tie, and a quiet square with three blue lines on the border. I felt great and not at all pretentious ( I left the fedora at home) and was cordial throughout. One of the places I interviewed only does pre-emptive interviews, they don't actually have a place open yet, but id rather be the guy remembered than not. The hastily scheduled interview was part them telling me about the job and conversation, and part them quizzing me on router/network/server hypotheticals, ended with an off hand "oh, and one more question.....why are manhole covers round?" It went pretty well. I have a meeting with the CIO and the Support Director next week as a result of the third interview.
     


  10. Alathea

    Alathea Member

    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2012
    duplicate
     
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012


  11. JubeiSpiegel

    JubeiSpiegel Senior member

    Messages:
    5,387
    Likes Received:
    966
    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Location:
    Sartorial Wasteland
    Nice job, what place was the one that gave you a 3rd interview? Was it the place that told you "no need to dress up"?
     


  12. Alathea

    Alathea Member

    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2012
    I wish. That would have been classic. The place I have the followup interview is the one most like my former job (smaller company, private, software writer) but the one that looks the most lucrative thus far. No formal offer was made, but they said that with my resume and listed skillset they could easily start me at 40,000 as a 2nd level network tech/tester.
     


  13. pebblegrain

    pebblegrain Senior member

    Messages:
    2,215
    Likes Received:
    47
    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2010
    Location:
    USA
    

    Wait... You don't even own a suit? You own two sportcoats, one in Olive and one Black? Wtf kind of wardrobe is this??? If this is all you have, your original question doesn't even make sense.

    You wore mismatched black jacket and pants? AND you wore a pocket square?

    Okay, there is a 90% chance that this IT company doesn't know shit about dress code and doesn't care, but in the 10% chance that they do, you dressed like a moron.

    No wonder someone at your previous interview told you that you were too formal. Your black jacket black mismatched pants black shoes snazzy pocket square blue shirt makes you look like a security guard at Men's Wearhouse
     


  14. Alathea

    Alathea Member

    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2012
    Thank you for your candor. I own two sport coats, yes, and I bought them based on the color and the fabric texture of the pants I already had. Ive been unemployed for a month, and I don't exactly have money growing out of my a** since my severance after 6 years consisted of 3 days pay for the balance of the week I was let go.I didn't need to own a suit for my job-I 'do' things, I don't sit around and tell others to do them and I don't get paid for my looks, and im happy and well paid to be that.

    I said previously that my interview 'style' was overly formal-all the places i've interviewed want to know about me and be touchy feely, and its not the line of questioning i'm used to, I didn't say that my clothes were. That being said, based on the guy I saw coming out of one of the interviews I may has well have have worn a burlap sack and I still would have been more appropriately dressed, even as a security guard from Men's Wearhouse. As it is now I have 2 2nd interviews next week so I must have done *something* right. Thanks for your time, im sorry you won't get it back. Ill buy Brooks Brothers after my kids are fed and my savings is put back.
     
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012


  15. gort

    gort Senior member

    Messages:
    3,882
    Likes Received:
    459
    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    

    I hope you answered: "Because manholes are round."
     


Share This Page

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by