• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

N0Direction

Reaction score

So - the back shot the pants are caught in my shoe :S and my shoulders are a bit lopsided while I recover from a shoulder reconstruction (I'm a little skinnier than normal as a result too)... But what's your thoughts on the fit? Are my arrows right?

Last edited:

cinnabar

Reaction score
If you were basing your measurements on an Indochino suit, then why did you change the measurements? Did I read that the wrong way?

Yes, I think you may have misunderstood me. I had to reenter measurements because the original ones were no longer in my account(due to a website update or something) but I took them directly from my older suit. When I received this new order it was terribly off from those measurements. i.e. my crotch measurement was 22.25" but the suit was 20" and my thigh size was supposed to be 23" but was actually 18".

LorenzL

Reaction score
To add a little to the question about the measurements displayed at Indochino.com: The thing is, many people e.g. me don't see the measurements they submitted. I see a mix of the actual garment size (for chest for example, or shoulders, some others) and my original input for example for sleeve length. It's strange and confusing, I'm glad my suits fit.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think you may have misunderstood me. I had to reenter measurements because the original ones were no longer in my account(due to a website update or something) but I took them directly from my older suit. When I received this new order it was terribly off from those measurements. i.e. my crotch measurement was 22.25" but the suit was 20" and my thigh size was supposed to be 23" but was actually 18".
That's interesting. I'm not sure why your measurements were wiped. If you didn't, you should have contacted customer service to get some insight on this.

As far as the sizing issues go, I don't know what Indochino's "formula" is, but several customer service rep's told me that the numbers that you see in your measurements profile ARE NOT always the actual measurements that you'll get if you take a tape measurer to the finished product. The measurements that you see are your "digital pattern measurements;" I guess that they apply their formula to those numbers and it tells them how much to add/subtract to give the item the Indochino cut/shape. It seems more complicated than it should be, and it took weeks of emails to clarify that, but once you come to grips with it, it works fine.

cinnabar

Reaction score
That's interesting. I'm not sure why your measurements were wiped. If you didn't, you should have contacted customer service to get some insight on this.

As far as the sizing issues go, I don't know what Indochino's "formula" is, but several customer service rep's told me that the numbers that you see in your measurements profile ARE NOT always the actual measurements that you'll get if you take a tape measurer to the finished product. The measurements that you see are your "digital pattern measurements;" I guess that they apply their formula to those numbers and it tells them how much to add/subtract to give the item the Indochino cut/shape. It seems more complicated than it should be, and it took weeks of emails to clarify that, but once you come to grips with it, it works fine.
I read something in the FAQ or on the measurements page that said they did a site upgrade or something at some point that caused a loss of measurements. My last order was in 2011 so that's probably why they were gone.

What is the point of providing so many measurements if they're just going to change it with a formula anyway? It sounds ridiculous to me. Not everyone has the same body type, which is one of the primary reasons to order MTM.

Walt Thizzney

Reaction score
epic faliure....

my Indochino suit came out wayyy to small... looks like I am getting it remade... such a hassle, the chest is to small, the shoulders suck and I cant really raise my arms up, bicep to small as well, thigh is to small also, what do you guys think about the length tho?

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read something in the FAQ or on the measurements page that said they did a site upgrade or something at some point that caused a loss of measurements. My last order was in 2011 so that's probably why they were gone.

What is the point of providing so many measurements if they're just going to change it with a formula anyway? It sounds ridiculous to me. Not everyone has the same body type, which is one of the primary reasons to order MTM.
...agreed. I think that their system has a built in assumption that you'll need to have alterations done (if not a complete remake). That's probably why they emphasize the "perfect fit guarantee." After you've gotten the first suit, you figure out what doesn't look/feel right so that the next one will be close to perfect. The emphasis is on "look/feel." From my string of emails with Indochino, I learned that you have to adjust your measurements strictly based on how the items look and feel. In other words, don't pay attention to what the actual measurements of the item are. It just makes things too confusing. Your profile may say 42", but the actual item may be 40". If it feels like you need an extra 1 inches, then just add a "+1."

As far as the "formula" goes, I think that's their way of translating your base measurements into their cut.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
epic faliure....

my Indochino suit came out wayyy to small... looks like I am getting it remade... such a hassle, the chest is to small, the shoulders suck and I cant really raise my arms up, bicep to small as well, thigh is to small also, what do you guys think about the length?

It's tough to call with that lighting, the wrinkles and your arms crossed. The pants look too short. The sleeves (jacket and shirt) look too long. The shoulders don't look bad, and the chest doesn't look too small either. the lapels look like they need to be repressed though. If you have a tailor shorten the sleeves and lengthen the pants, it may be alright. Still, I need better pictures for better feedback.

Walt Thizzney

Reaction score
It's tough to call with that lighting, the wrinkles and your arms crossed. The pants look too short. The sleeves (jacket and shirt) look too long. The shoulders don't look bad, and the chest doesn't look too small either. the lapels look like they need to be repressed though. If you have a tailor shorten the sleeves and lengthen the pants, it may be alright. Still, I need better pictures for better feedback.

couple more pics... its just really tight under my arms and around my back

LorenzL

Reaction score

Shoulders seem fine, there is some pulling around the top button, but that could probably be fixed by a tailor. The sleeves on the shirt are way too long, so I am not sure how the suit sleeves are - probably too short, but not by as much as it seems from the pictures. In my opinion you also have that kind of shape that doesn't benefit from a high button stance - makes your hips seem wide. I got the same issue.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In these pictures, the shirt sleeves still look too long, but the jacket sleeves are tough to call. The pants legs still look too short. The shoulders don't look as good in these pictures. They're ok, but there's something strange going on with the right shoulder. Maybe you just need to adjust the jacket on yourself.

Last edited:

BC2012

Reaction score
So, I've ordered suits from Indochino before. Most needed some adjusting but they were mostly fine. I ordered a Navy Essential suit recently and it came in WAY too small. The pants (outside of the pant leg being 3 inches too wide at the bottom) were pretty good. I have 2 more suits in production. I measured the jacket and it was 3 inches smaller in the waist than the measurements show on the site (and the site now shows 2 inches smaller than the measurement I put in when I ordered...which was the same as the last suit I received. Why would they change it from last time?!)

So, I email customer service. They tell me they cannot check on the suits in production and the only way to test them is to wait until I get them. If they don't fit they'll do a remake. What sort of company cannot do ANY QUALITY CONTROL MID-PRODUCTION?! They'd rather waste materials and shipping costs (and my time) instead of performing QC to see if the other suits are going to be drastically mis-sized? Yikes.

Now they're telling me they'll cancel the in-production suits, remake the ill-fitting suit I just received, and once that one fits they'll remake the others. Are you kidding me? I told them to remake all 3, now, to the measurements I gave them initially (you know, the measurements from PAST suits they made for me).

Sorry, just venting but this is absurd and I'm probably never ordering from these guys again. Depending on the response I get to my last email I'm probably just going to cancel all of the orders.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: And the response was as I suspected:

Thank you for the email.

We would not be able to process all 3 Suits again simultaneously.

If there is a fit issue that needs to be corrected, our Tailors will process one remake first before proceeding with any further production.

As I previously mentioned, you may wish to await the arrival of your next 2 suits to see how they fit. Or we can cancel them now and begin with the remake of your Essential Navy Suit.

All orders currently take 35 days to produce & deliver and we do not offer expedited/rush service. Our tailors strive to get all orders out as quickly as possible

Please let us know if you’d like to await delivery of your Essential Navy Pinstripe and Essential Charcoal Suits, or would like to cancel them.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor

So, they have a clear QC issue on their end, they can't correct it mid-production (or even check on it), and they offer absolutely no fix outside of "well, we clearly can't make a suit that matches the measurements in the system so we will do it using the cost efficient iterative production model, one month at a time, until we figure it out."

What a joke.

Last edited:

charliebrown2

Reaction score
So, I've ordered suits from Indochino before. Most needed some adjusting but they were mostly fine. I ordered a Navy Essential suit recently and it came in WAY too small. The pants (outside of the pant leg being 3 inches too wide at the bottom) were pretty good. I have 2 more suits in production. I measured the jacket and it was 3 inches smaller in the waist than the measurements show on the site (and the site now shows 2 inches smaller than the measurement I put in when I ordered...which was the same as the last suit I received. Why would they change it from last time?!)

So, I email customer service. They tell me they cannot check on the suits in production and the only way to test them is to wait until I get them. If they don't fit they'll do a remake. What sort of company cannot do ANY QUALITY CONTROL MID-PRODUCTION?! They'd rather waste materials and shipping costs (and my time) instead of performing QC to see if the other suits are going to be drastically mis-sized? Yikes.

Now they're telling me they'll cancel the in-production suits, remake the ill-fitting suit I just received, and once that one fits they'll remake the others. Are you kidding me? I told them to remake all 3, now, to the measurements I gave them initially (you know, the measurements from PAST suits they made for me).

Sorry, just venting but this is absurd and I'm probably never ordering from these guys again. Depending on the response I get to my last email I'm probably just going to cancel all of the orders.

Thank you for the email.

If there is a fit issue that needs to be corrected, our Tailors will process one remake first before proceeding with any further production.

As I previously mentioned, you may wish to await the arrival of your next 2 suits to see how they fit. Or we can cancel them now and begin with the remake of your Essential Navy Suit.

All orders currently take 35 days to produce & deliver and we do not offer expedited/rush service. Our tailors strive to get all orders out as quickly as possible

Please let us know if you’d like to await delivery of your Essential Navy Pinstripe and Essential Charcoal Suits, or would like to cancel them.

Regards,

Victor

So, they have a clear QC issue on their end, they can't correct it mid-production (or even check on it), and they offer absolutely no fix outside of "well, we clearly can't make a suit that matches the measurements in the system so we will do it using the cost efficient iterative production model, one month at a time, until we figure it out."

What a joke.

Welp, I guess i'm not the only one. I mentioned a similar story about a week ago. Sorry that happened to you too. Horrible customer service, IMO. I won't be buying from them anymore either.

edit: actually, my experience was a little bit different. We basically paused one of my orders to work on the fit of another. When second order was complete, they refuse to remake my first order based on new measurements. what utter BS.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the email.

Regards,

Victor

What a joke.

lol....A few months ago, I had frustrations like these. See my posts above for help. From what I can gather, a large part of your frustration is coming from not understanding the measurement system. The numbers that you see on the website and the numbers that you'll get when you measure the actual garment usually ARE NOT the same. When you're making adjustments to your measurements, focus on how the item looks and feels instead of what the actual garment measurements are. If the suit looks like it's an inch too large, then subtract an inch. Don't even worry about what the actual measurement is. When they translate your original body measurements into their cut and then create the "digital pattern" (for the digital cutting system), it distorts the measurements.

It's confusing, but once you understand how it works, it's fine. They've never seen you or spoken to you in person, so you have to be reasonable/patient with your expectations. They do offer $75 of alteration credit. For a company that operates entirely through emails and their website, I think that their customer service is above average. I'm more confused by how flexible they are on large things but how rigid they are about some of the small customizations.

Last edited:

charliebrown2

Reaction score
lol....A few months ago, I had frustrations like these. See my posts above for help. From what I can gather, a large part of your frustration is coming from not understanding the measurement system. The numbers that you see on the website and the numbers that you'll get when you measure the actual garment usually ARE NOT the same. When you're making adjustments to your measurements, focus on how the item looks and feels instead of what the actual garment measurements are. If the suit looks like it's an inch too large, then subtract an inch. Don't even worry about what the actual measurement is. When they translate your original body measurements into their cut and then create the "digital pattern" (for the digital cutting system), it distorts the measurements.

It's confusing, but once you understand how it works, it's fine.

Sounds like he already had a good fit measurement previously. He re-ordered and then it came in all wack. That's how I read it, I dont know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads