• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

incredibly light weight Jantzen Fabric. TELL ME!

milesfides

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I am interested in this too. It seems all the JKT fabrics (the more expensive HDK 300 ones) are quite heavy and unsuitable for this purpose. I had a chance to feel the "Sea Island" fabric in person and agree with another poster's opinion that it is horrendous and feels like paper.

I've heard this before too, but maybe people have different views on how this fabric should be.

Paper, as in weight: light?

Thinness: flimsy?

Texture? sheen or dull?

I think depending on what these answers could be, this could be a great summer shirt - lightweight, breathable, shiny

Earthmover

Reaction score
I actually think French Oxford #7 2-Ply 110s may work well. I don't have that particular fabric, but the french oxfords I have from Jantzen are pretty thin with a loose weave, and it's good to wear in the warmer months.

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
With the amount of business Ricky seems to be doing, I think you'll probably be recieving your shirts around August - something to keep in mind.

OTH, you may be lucky. In that case, I recommend this from personal experience:

twillfinewhitesmall.jpg

#22, Super Fine Snow White Fine Cotton Twill,
The Real Fabric is 100% Snow White Fine Quality!
120's, 2 Ply,
100% Italian Cotton
http://www.jantzentailor.com/twill.htm

I, too, have this shirt and have put it away for the summer as it is far to warm here to wear it. I find in very heavy and dense. However I would wear it in SD near the coast as it is much cooler than our 110++ days in Az.

Perry

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milesfides
Paper, as in weight: light? Thinness: flimsy? Texture? sheen or dull?
Mostly the texture, like a piece of paper, even worse than the 1-ply Banana Republic shirts I have. It is also very thin and sheer.

milesfides

Reaction score
The texture of paper...that's the confusing part. I've always though paper was smooth on the surface? Or do you mean rough, like construction paper.

Because if the shirt is smooth, thin, and sheer, doesn't that sound like a pretty damn good summer shirt?

Not trying to be snide, as I'm really interested in jantzen's lack of good white fabrics.

Anybody have good close ups of this white sea-island fabric?

(BTW: Don't get the white pointpoint oxford. It's below land's end quality. I would say it gap-like fabric.)

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milesfides
The texture of paper...that's the confusing part. I've always though paper was smooth on the surface? Or do you mean rough, like construction paper.
No, I guess he means that the fabric is not particularly supple.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
No, I guess he means that the fabric is not particularly supple.
Yes, when bent the fabric forms uncomfortable sharp creases.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had several Jantzen shirts made when I was in HK. Mostly they are more substantial fabrics, but two, in particular, are lightweight. I don't believe the fabrics are marked on the shirts, and as such I'm not sure I can give you exact numbers. If I can ID them, I will. I believe at least one was an End-on-End 120s two ply, still quite light, Italian fabric. I'd check those out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads