• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

incredibly light weight Jantzen Fabric. TELL ME!

Brian SD

Reaction score
Building my summer wardrobe, and I'd like to know if anyone found any white Jantzen fabrics that are incredibly light weight? I'm trying to get a more relaxed, almost bohemian kind of look, but with more updated fabrics (not so much linen, hemp).

Anyone have any suggestions? Texture is totally fine, if anyone knows a nice dobby or anything that's light weight and suitable for wearing in heat.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am interested in this too. It seems all the JKT fabrics (the more expensive HDK 300 ones) are quite heavy and unsuitable for this purpose. I had a chance to feel the "Sea Island" fabric in person and agree with another poster's opinion that it is horrendous and feels like paper.

Brian SD

Reaction score
There is a 1-ply "ultra light weight" Japanese Cotton twill that I ordered. I'll let you know how it turns out (ETA 4-6 months).

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herringbone and twills are a tighter weave and tend to run warmer. I was the one who called the 140s broadcloths papery a long time ago. I felt all the fabrics in the shop and honestly could not find a good non-hbone/twill. That said, not all of them are really terrible for summer, especially one in a drier climate like SD.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Herringbone and twills are a tighter weave and tend to run warmer. I was the one who called the 140s broadcloths papery a long time ago. I felt all the fabrics in the shop and honestly could not find a good non-hbone/twill. That said, not all of them are really terrible for summer, especially one in a drier climate like SD.

Yea, I kind of assumed that (about being thicker weaves). However, it is the only white fabric I could find that is 1-ply, and it did have the tagline "ultra light weight." So I'm hopeful at least.

And you're right, during the summer its incredibly pleasant here.. 85 degrees is about normal with a nice breeze in the western parts. I'm just looking for other options to wear when I can't layer, aside from just t-shirts.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why were you looking for 1-ply? That is in no way a good sign for fabrics.

I'll qualify my previous post by saying that the 140's/Sea Island Cotton white broadcloth really is light, not that terrible, and some members like it a lot more than me. So you might give that a try. Also, the more expensive 110's mini-herringbones are superb for the price and on the cooler side of the dobbys.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Why were you looking for 1-ply? That is in no way a good sign for fabrics.

I'll qualify my previous post by saying that the 140's/Sea Island Cotton white broadcloth really is light, not that terrible, and some members like it a lot more than me. So you might give that a try. Also, the more expensive 110's mini-herringbones are superb for the price and on the cooler side of the dobbys.

crazy.gif
Oh well. Win some you lose some.

I have one or two shirts from the more expensive fabrics and they really are great, I agree.

I also have a shirt in the 140s and I dont think it's as bad as some make it out to be but it's not really what I'm looking for.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
With the amount of business Ricky seems to be doing, I think you'll probably be recieving your shirts around August - something to keep in mind.

OTH, you may be lucky. In that case, I recommend this from personal experience:

twillfinewhitesmall.jpg

#22, Super Fine Snow White Fine Cotton Twill,
The Real Fabric is 100% Snow White Fine Quality!
120's, 2 Ply,
100% Italian Cotton
http://www.jantzentailor.com/twill.htm

pkincy

Reaction score
I bought that #22 and it is way to heavy for spring here in Scottsdale.

I don't think I have a heavier fabric in any of the 30 shirts in my normal rotation. It does hold up through a long day nicely as you would expect from a very thick heavy fabric.

Perry

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one-ply sucks.
smile.gif
Poor quality.

Anyway, I once had a shirt made of lightweight small herringbone, very breathable, summer fabric. You could probably see hints of my darker chest hair through it, but I didn't really care.

!luc

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
I bought that #22 and it is way to heavy for spring here in Scottsdale.

I don't think I have a heavier fabric in any of the 30 shirts in my normal rotation. It does hold up through a long day nicely as you would expect from a very thick heavy fabric.

Perry

Really, you think it's heavy? All of my Jantzen shirts are heavier.
Maybe it's because I live in the NE.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might want to look at a linen cotton blend. They are very cool wearing, but not see through at all.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You might want to look at a linen cotton blend. They are very cool wearing, but not see through at all.
And on that note, has Jantzen added any linen?

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian: It seems you've forgotten that San Diego has all that June Gloom which lasts into August sometimes.
smile.gif

raley

Reaction score
I remember a member on this board a year or so back special ordered a linen shirt from Jantzen and it turned out pretty nice. Not sure if it got lost in the crash or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads