1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

incredibly light weight Jantzen Fabric. TELL ME!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Brian SD, May 2, 2006.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Building my summer wardrobe, and I'd like to know if anyone found any white Jantzen fabrics that are incredibly light weight? I'm trying to get a more relaxed, almost bohemian kind of look, but with more updated fabrics (not so much linen, hemp).

Anyone have any suggestions? Texture is totally fine, if anyone knows a nice dobby or anything that's light weight and suitable for wearing in heat.

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I am interested in this too. It seems all the JKT fabrics (the more expensive HDK 300 ones) are quite heavy and unsuitable for this purpose. I had a chance to feel the "Sea Island" fabric in person and agree with another poster's opinion that it is horrendous and feels like paper.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

There is a 1-ply "ultra light weight" Japanese Cotton twill that I ordered. I'll let you know how it turns out (ETA 4-6 months).

4. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

Herringbone and twills are a tighter weave and tend to run warmer. I was the one who called the 140s broadcloths papery a long time ago. I felt all the fabrics in the shop and honestly could not find a good non-hbone/twill. That said, not all of them are really terrible for summer, especially one in a drier climate like SD.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Herringbone and twills are a tighter weave and tend to run warmer. I was the one who called the 140s broadcloths papery a long time ago. I felt all the fabrics in the shop and honestly could not find a good non-hbone/twill. That said, not all of them are really terrible for summer, especially one in a drier climate like SD.

Yea, I kind of assumed that (about being thicker weaves). However, it is the only white fabric I could find that is 1-ply, and it did have the tagline "ultra light weight." So I'm hopeful at least.

And you're right, during the summer its incredibly pleasant here.. 85 degrees is about normal with a nice breeze in the western parts. I'm just looking for other options to wear when I can't layer, aside from just t-shirts.

6. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

Why were you looking for 1-ply? That is in no way a good sign for fabrics.

I'll qualify my previous post by saying that the 140's/Sea Island Cotton white broadcloth really is light, not that terrible, and some members like it a lot more than me. So you might give that a try. Also, the more expensive 110's mini-herringbones are superb for the price and on the cooler side of the dobbys.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Why were you looking for 1-ply? That is in no way a good sign for fabrics.

I'll qualify my previous post by saying that the 140's/Sea Island Cotton white broadcloth really is light, not that terrible, and some members like it a lot more than me. So you might give that a try. Also, the more expensive 110's mini-herringbones are superb for the price and on the cooler side of the dobbys.

[​IMG] Oh well. Win some you lose some.

I have one or two shirts from the more expensive fabrics and they really are great, I agree.

I also have a shirt in the 140s and I dont think it's as bad as some make it out to be but it's not really what I'm looking for.

8. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

With the amount of business Ricky seems to be doing, I think you'll probably be recieving your shirts around August - something to keep in mind.

OTH, you may be lucky. In that case, I recommend this from personal experience:

[​IMG]
    #22, Super Fine Snow White Fine Cotton Twill,
    The Real Fabric is 100% Snow White Fine Quality!
    120's, 2 Ply,
    100% Italian Cotton
    http://www.jantzentailor.com/twill.htm

9. pkincy

pkincy Senior Member

I bought that #22 and it is way to heavy for spring here in Scottsdale.

I don't think I have a heavier fabric in any of the 30 shirts in my normal rotation. It does hold up through a long day nicely as you would expect from a very thick heavy fabric.

Perry

10. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

one-ply sucks. [​IMG] Poor quality.

Anyway, I once had a shirt made of lightweight small herringbone, very breathable, summer fabric. You could probably see hints of my darker chest hair through it, but I didn't really care.

!luc

11. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

I bought that #22 and it is way to heavy for spring here in Scottsdale.

I don't think I have a heavier fabric in any of the 30 shirts in my normal rotation. It does hold up through a long day nicely as you would expect from a very thick heavy fabric.

Perry

Really, you think it's heavy? All of my Jantzen shirts are heavier.
    Maybe it's because I live in the NE.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

You might want to look at a linen cotton blend. They are very cool wearing, but not see through at all.

13. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

You might want to look at a linen cotton blend. They are very cool wearing, but not see through at all.
    And on that note, has Jantzen added any linen?

14. bachbeet

bachbeet Distinguished Member

Brian: It seems you've forgotten that San Diego has all that June Gloom which lasts into August sometimes. [​IMG]

15. raley

raley Senior Member

I remember a member on this board a year or so back special ordered a linen shirt from Jantzen and it turned out pretty nice. Not sure if it got lost in the crash or not.