• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I Had A Motorcycle It Would Be.....

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GlenCoe
Guzzi Griso V8 no doubts

The Griso pretty, but buying a premade cafe racer? Not sure about that...

Originally Posted by CDFS
But I'd probably buy something more comfortable, like a vfr x00(0)

I have one and it is a bit heavy, but pretty great overall.

Me? I'd buy (1) a Multistrada 1200 S Touring to replace the VFR, (2) a Vespa to replace my Ninja 250, (3) an Aprilia RSV4 Factory and (4) build something that looks like this:
danieldelfourstritoncus.jpg

Mauby

Reaction score
I have a Honda '04 VFR, and it's pretty much the bike I always wanted. However, I've always had a fascination with Boss Hoss bikes. There's something about wanting to try riding a motorcyle with a 350 (5700cc) V8 engine

lg+1998_boss_hoss_v8+front_left_view.jpg

BossHoss.jpg

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a thread full of these magnificent machines I'm almost hesitant to bring it up, but I think the Brammo Enertia is really cool. edited to include picture:
enertiaelectricmotorcyc.jpg

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
danieldelfourstritoncus.jpg

That's the same abortion that was featured in that Chanel shoot.

The guys that built this turd totally ruined what could have been a cool bike.

(Not picking on you, akatsuki. I've seen this bike popping up all over the interweb. It's just such an epic fail, I can't stop myself from commenting every time I see it.)

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KnowYourRights
That's the same abortion that was featured in that Chanel shoot.

The guys that built this turd totally ruined what could have been a cool bike.

(Not picking on you, akatsuki. I've seen this bike popping up all over the interweb. It's just such an epic fail, I can't stop myself from commenting every time I see it.)

Well, besides the lack of a front brake, the fact that those pipes will probably burn your legs off, and that the fork tubes seem designed to puncture your stomach if you do get in an accident, what's the problem? It is not that it is exactly what I would do in a cafe racer, but I do like some of the bits.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
...what's the problem?
You, sir, have opened the floodgates! - A Triton is built for purpose, and that purpose is speed and handling. With what looks to be 2 inches of fork travel, this bikes fails. And the tiny front drum brake--most likely from some 125cc Japanese dirt bike--is ridiculous. - Even if I thought 2 inches of fork travel was good enough, there are ways to shorten forks and their internals so you don't have the fork ends shooting up into the stratosphere. - I'm not a purist, so I actually don't mind putting a 750cc TR7 motor in a Norton Featherbed frame. But why on earth would one use an inferior Japanese front end?! The Norton Featherbed and accompanying Roadholder forks were the stuff of legend...and for good reason. I could go on and on. But really, my biggest beef with this bike is that it's another bike built to pose...er...I mean, a "bar hop." It's a look-at-me bike. And people are lauding praise on it left and right irrespective of if the bike is actually rideable. It's like designing a fork you can't even eat with. What's the point? Art? Maybe. It's just another entry in the long line of chopper/bobber/custom nonsense. Sure, they added some "cafe" elements, but seemingly only to differentiate it from the already bloated market of look-at-me bikes. Remember when chopper builder Matt Hotch built a Vincent-engined chopper. He took it to the salt flats and got speed wobbles at 90mph. Seriously? This was a bike that could do 150mph...stock...in the '50s. Just what did he accomplish? Now I know I said I think bikes--notably Tritons--are essentially purpose built. And one could point out that the builders of this bike built it with a purpose (posing, looking cool when parked). But to outright bite one of the most iconic Brit customs and make it fail at everything the original was built to do...well, I ain't buying it. Arrrgh! See what you started!
lol8[1].gif

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You, sir, have opened the floodgates!

- A Triton is built for purpose, and that purpose is speed and handling.

Arrrgh!

See what you started!
lol8[1].gif

Fair enough. But I would suggest anyone building a cafe racer (or any retro type bike) in the modern age is doing so for cafe bragging/posing rights. If you care about speed, buy a BMW S1000RR or Gixxer.

I admit, the Chanel bike is impractical, but the aesthetics are really nice - so I'd consider using it as a bit of inspiration for a usable build.

I own a VFR800 and a Ninja 250R - both uber-practical bikes. So I wouldn't mind having something flashy. Part of me says to dump the Ninja for a Honda Hawk - but Hawks are so great it is almost a travesty to mod one up.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
You talking about the 650 Hawk? Late-'80s/early '90s? Or the 400 twins form the late '70s? Either way, cool bikes.

True, "cafe" as a term has become overused. Purists will say that the bike has to be British and of a late-'50s to early '60s vintage. Most accept that a pre-'80 bike of any ethnicity with the usual clubmans, rearsets and bump seat qualify. I'm really on the fence with the modern retro bikes.

I see your point about the gixxers et. al. But it's really something to ride the old stuff. It's just such a different feel. Done right, they can be "contextually" fast.

cheers.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You talking about the 650 Hawk? Late-'80s/early '90s? Or the 400 twins form the late '70s? Either way, cool bikes.

True, "cafe" as a term has become overused. Purists will say that the bike has to be British and of a late-'50s to early '60s vintage. Most accept that a pre-'80 bike of any ethnicity with the usual clubmans, rearsets and bump seat qualify. I'm really on the fence with the modern retro bikes.

I see your point about the gixxers et. al. But it's really something to ride the old stuff. It's just such a different feel. Done right, they can be "contextually" fast.

cheers.

I like the cafe racer aesthetic, but prefer old Italian bikes. An old Guzzi, Ducati, or something done up would be perfect. The current cafe racer trend seems to be about people stick lots of chrome, crazy paint schemes, etc on a bike and not be riding a Harley. And, just like Harleys, there is an infinite amount of cred if you do your own customization over buying a stock one.

Too bad I like 'mod' girls over rockers...

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hot damn, that's a nice Goose.

I see your Guzzi, and raise you a Laverda S

Damn, I'd like to fold, but then I saw this modern Guzzi. Then there is also the Ducati GT. And Moroni.

Thinking about it - the Ninja's days are definitely numbered.

Thinking about it more - and then there is the whole adventure riding thing. Damn, I need more bikes.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Damn, I need more bikes.

Yes...yes you do.

Having 5 myself, I can back you up on this. My wife used to roll her eyes at the number of bikes I had. Until I took her to the the shop with me where the owner was talking about his "70 or so" bikes.

lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads