• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I really feel like there is nothing to buy!

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ Feb. 18 2005,01:16)
Originally Posted by Styleman,Feb. 17 2005,17:36
Well, it may sound a little stupid, but when it come to tailored clothing in particular, I really think there is nothing to buy.
If Zara suits are the same as the one I picked up 5 years ago, you would have to buy new suits within a very short time.
The one I have is quite good quality, not as good as the Versace/Zegna etc. but for the money (200 pounds, a good suit)
£200 for a fused suit in a poor fabrics is not a good value for money. I got a wool&cashmere convas suit from Faconnable for 380 euros (-75%)

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Styleman @ Feb. 18 2005,02:17)
Originally Posted by ernest,Feb. 18 2005,01:16
Well, it may sound a little stupid, but when it come to tailored clothing in particular, I really think there is nothing to buy.
If Zara suits are the same as the one I picked up 5 years ago, you would have to buy new suits within a very short time.

The one I have is quite good quality, not as good as the Versace/Zegna etc. but for the money (200 pounds, a good suit)
£200 for a fused suit in a poor fabrics is not a good value for money. I got a wool&cashmere convas suit from Faconnable for 380 euros (-75%)
From where?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have some cousins. their great great grandfather founded a food brand that pretty much every american knows (alas, the money comes from the other side of the family). they are very well to do, as in having matisses and modgilianis on the wall of their family house, and in having a yaht with a crew big enough to take more than 10 guests across the atlantic. to me, that is as rich as I care about. my cousins grandparents worked their whole lives, every day, as doctors. they didn't have to. my cousins parents worked every day, even though they didn't have to. my cousins work every day, even though they don't have to. they have been to some fo the best schools in the US, and they might not be either rocket scientists or heros, but they see nothing wrong with work. by the way, I had the pleasure of working with the Ambanis (possibly a name you know) a little, those gentlemen also come into work every day. true, they work for themselves, but they didn't always.
Hey globe, did you know that Henry Ford chopped his own firewood until he was like 70 years old? Â Heh heh. Â What a guy.
LP I did not know that. that will keep you healthy, I guess.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
(Bradford @ Feb. 17 2005,14:01) Sounds like a pretty good life you have - with a very nice wardrobe. Don't worry, something will come along that you want - until then - just enjoy what you have. Bradford
Cool avatar, the enlarged version with the full band has been my background for some months.
Thanks - I was looking for one of the pictures of Weiland OD'ing from the Fall to Pieces video, but I could only find this one. It's pretty cool though - something different. Bradford

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
am a religious vi fanatic, and use it for all programming projects I work on (emacs is for losers, sorry).

I was until recently. Now, I switch between vi and xemacs depending on what I need. I like the point and click and WYSIWYG aspect of xemacs, as wel as it's color coding of code. Makes debugging much easier. Enough geek talk from me too. BTW, until about 2 years ago, I was working on a VMS platform. How is that for old school?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ Feb. 18 2005,05:08)
Originally Posted by Styleman,Feb. 18 2005,02:17
Originally Posted by ernest,Feb. 18 2005,01:16

From where?
Faconnable rue du Faubourd St HonorÃ
00a9.png
PAris

linux_pro

Reaction score
am a religious vi fanatic, and use it for all programming projects I work on (emacs is for losers, sorry).
I was until recently. Now, I switch between vi and xemacs depending on what I need. I like the point and click and WYSIWYG aspect of xemacs, as wel as it's color coding of code. Makes debugging much easier. Enough geek talk from me too. BTW, until about 2 years ago, I was working on a VMS platform. How is that for old school?
Hey, if you use vim, it has syntax highlighting too. Just type: esc and then ":syntax", and it will "color code" your document. You can even set/choose the color schemes. VMS... heh heh heh. Yeah, I did some hacking on the Alpha platform, and still consider it to be possibly the best 64-bit arch every designed. Very solid. VMS, however, was always a little quirky, and when the mastermind moved on to Microsoft (and created the NT project), DEC put its muscle behind Digital Unix - which I actually prefer. It handles multi-threading much better, adds 128-bit memory addressing, handles SMP much better, etc, etc. VMS used inline process, where Dig Unix used a flag on clock procs to implement priority handling and also opened up access to the additional registers available on the 2xx64 chips, and a whole ton of other more modern improvements. Needless to say, performance was greatly improved at that point. I still have a quad-proc 20264 box at home. A friend of mine was bragging about his new AMD Opteron, so I told him to put linux on it and we ran side-by-side benchmarks to see which platform would compile a kernel faster. That old trusty 4-way DEC still smoked it. Heh heh. I love those DEC Alphas. I almost cried when Compaq bought em out, and did cry when HP bought Compaq, because that was really the end of the Alpha. My favorite UNIX has always been Solaris (or a close tie between Solaris and linux). That's some hot sh*t. We had a couple of their E10k's down in San Diego, and you could hot-swap system boards without powering down the system. What's even cooler is that it allowed SMP with cpu's of varying clock timings (i.e, 300mhz + 420mhz), stepping, etc. and worked seamlessly. Beautiful stuff. That E10k was one serious mutha. I setup a beowulf for the Salk Institute for doing graphic simulations of some HIV therapy testing or something like that, it consisted of about 1000 machines acting as one computer, communicating with hive controllers over 1gbps fiber (and Cisco interconnects). Now that was awesome. When we were benchmarking the system, we saw close to 2.25 terraflops. Not too shabby... 1/2 the power of a Cray T3E for 1/100th the price. That was with linux, of course. We put a protein-folding simulator on it for testing, and it was cranking out full sequences in a matter of seconds. Oh yeah, baby.. I was so excited when I got home my girlfriend thought I might be cheating on her. Ha ha ha ha. And the guys at the Salk Institute, you should have seen their faces. Anyway... I've got to stop geeking, you have triggered my geek side. When it comes to fashion, I know very little. When it comes to UNIX, that is my area of expertise. Enough outta me...

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, until about 2 years ago, I was working on a VMS platform. How is that for old school?
Ah, VMS...that brings back memories. The system of choice at my alma mater while I was there. I hear they got rid of it in the late 90s/early 00s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads