• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have issues with awesome

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Jewish fraternity!
laugh.gif
Did you have chess tournaments on Saturday nights with a keg of Manischewitz?

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
A Jewish fraternity!
laugh.gif
Did you have chess tournaments on Saturday nights with a keg of Manischewitz?

Not hardly, however, Jerry did pick up a few bad habits in New Orleans which were to later cause him trouble, as he discussed here.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
Not hardly, however, Jerry did pick up a few bad habits in New Orleans which were to later cause him trouble, as he discussed here.

crackup[1].gif
Was that for real? What kind of hooker takes a check?
laugh.gif
I've been to NO a few times and thought it was a cash-only business.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
crackup[1].gif
Was that for real? What kind of hooker takes a check?
laugh.gif
I've been to NO a few times and thought it was a cash-only business.

That particular hooker, which he mentioned in the political announcement, was much later, when he was married, on the City Council in Cincinnati, and about to run for mayor (he won). I think that he believed that his immediate public full confession helped him so much politically that he reminded everyone of it, in this ad about nine years later, when he was running for governor of Ohio. I think that another US politician might have avoided impeachment had he been so forthcoming.

Jerry had started down that path at 1026 Conti Street in the French Quarter, at the very famous "Norma's." I suspect no checks were accepted there. The madam, Norma Wallace, had a very interesting (?) life. Someone recently wrote an excellent book about her and parts of it were adapted into a play that also got good reviews.
http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/01/3....30lewist.html

The above review makes me wonder exactly what a "tail towel" is, however.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I read a piece by David Foster Wallace once, where he said (I'm paraphrasing) that the mark of true mastery of the English language is the ability to switch *between* various types of vocabulary and grammar depending on what's appropriate to the situation. I absolutely agree. If, in 2007, you insist on speaking and acting in public like it's 1947, you're not "correct", you're archaic. If, in the boardroom, you insist on calling your coworkers "dude", you're not just a child of your generation, you're acting unprofessionally. Language changes, standards change, and it never fails to amuse me when people try to recast their inability to adapt as some sort of rearguard action against the encroaching forces of barbarism. Leave that to AAAC, guys.
wink.gif

Best post in this thread.
4_17_206.gif

Personally, I probably would have used "sweet" instead of "awesome" in that situation, but that's just me.

Also, I have a one-of-a-kind name and am patently employable. In fact, I'm pretty sure I beat out many guys named Michael, Thomas, Arthur, Harold, Richard, James, etc. for my job.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is it.
Although it certainly lacks the sheer beauty of French, English is a wonderful language, full of nuances and special meanings. She had nearly infinite choices of terms she could have used to describe her pleasure at my being available for the dental appointment on the date which she had proposed;

How do you know you weren't the 50th call in a row that she had made to reschedule an appointment and you weren't the first to ***** her out for doing so and just politely rescheduled? To her that might well have been "awesome." To you it was mundane, but to her it was validation that not everyone's a dick. Oh wait. Then you lectured her...

I think "awesome," which means to me such superb, marvelous, unusual and fantastic news (such as the second coming of Christ) that it is worthy of great awe, was about the last she should have used.

And that's the end of the story isn't it? It is only okay to use the word when you say so. Whatever.

It's getting warm here. I think I'll throw on a pair of shorts and a baseball cap and head out to a restaurant just to piss you off.

b

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For some crab cakes?

metaphysician

Reaction score
Did the receptionist tell you her name before she used "awesome?" If so your lecture was justified.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads