• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

b-blanco

Reaction score
I was wondering what the different cut's of sugarcane and samurai jeans were. I'm looking for a straight leg cut if that helps any.

schmallo15

Reaction score

I was wondering what the different cut's of sugarcane and samurai jeans were.  I'm looking for a straight leg cut if that helps any.

Sugar Cane is primarily 47 cut but the SC2009 is probably the closest they have to a more modern straight leg cut. See Selfedge for measurements.

Samurai has a bevy of cuts. S5000VX might work for you. See Blue in Green for measurements.

Last edited:

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5EP x SF wouldve fit the bill [w/o even the need to taper]_ if you can still find a pair.

check out Samurai 710 "Blue Shadow", Momo 705BIG, __ you may need to taper if you want a hem under 8.

Who makes jeans that don't have such a biased cut in the top block? That is, who makes jeans in which the difference between the front and rear rise is not so great?
I dig the APC NS top block, but I want better construction and denim. I'm looking for, like, an ~11" front rise and a ~14" rear rise. Nobody seems to do this, and I don't understand why, because that kind of cut gives you more room for your junk up front while not giving you diaper butt in the rear.

Slightly lower front rise but one of my favorites with that type of cut are the Studio D'Artisan SD103.
Raw measurements here: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/ind...acturer_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

to add: 45 RPM Sorahiko 2011 & Warehouse 660

.. & as mentioned above:
710 Blue Shadow
Momo 705BIG

Catherine Jones

Reaction score
Can anyone offer a review or hearsay about Union Jeans? They're on Gilt today and I'm trying to buy my boyfriend a pair of jeans that fit really well.

fireflygrave

Reaction score
do you know his true waist size/thighs/inseam length/etc?

Catherine Jones

Reaction score
Close enough, I think. He's very fit, 30.5 waist, and I've been leaning toward 31/31 or 31/32. Everything he currently owns is too baggy.

b-blanco

Reaction score
Sugar Cane is primarily 47 cut but the SC2009 is probably the closest they have to a more modern straight leg cut. See Selfedge for measurements.
Samurai has a bevy of cuts. S5000VX might work for you. See Blue in Green for measurements.
This helps alot thanks.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the dry nudie jeans (non-selvedge... the ones for $180-200) fade like regular selvedge raw denim?

schmallo15

Reaction score

Do the dry nudie jeans (non-selvedge... the ones for $180-200) fade like regular selvedge raw denim?

I suspect there's not much difference between the selvage and non-selvage Nudies. Nudie denim typically fades relatively quickly in comparison to Japanese denim.

But it's hard to generalize with something like this. Fading is primarily a function of you as an individual and how much you wear your jeans and how active you are in life. Even if you bought $300 Japanese denim and all you did was sit around all day, you'd get no fades. No activity = no fades.

Some of the best fades I have seen are on old guys (cowboys, carpenters, builders, etc) wearing $20 Lees or Wranglers. They aren't worried about selvage, chainstitching, soaking, honeycombs, or any of that stuff. They just wear and wash when needed.

MrOnBicycle

Reaction score
What would be a decent sub $100-ish pair of jeans with a classic fit (I guess, not to tight, not too loose) with, most importantly, a mid rise (I.e at the waist)? Oh and it must have a zip fly. I can't stand a button fly.

Last edited:

UrsusArctos

Reaction score
Looking for a pair of below £100 black selvedge (possibly raw) denim. Don't have the funds at the moment to be splashing out, and it would be my first pair of coloured selvedge so I have no idea who does that well. Only ones I've seen so far would be Naked and Famous on sale. Uniqlo in the UK only seem to do grey and blue at the moment. Although the light blue instead of the red line selvedge on the grey ones looks pretty cool.

maka1

Reaction score
Hey why do all 3sixteen jeans have a 37 inseam? if you are not that size do you have to get them brought up? or am i missing something

jmaudi0

Reaction score
easier production i assume. depending on where you buy them the seller may offer a free hemming service (ala Blueowl).

Brian Buehler

Reaction score
Hey looking for jeans that are a classic straight fit kind of like levi 501s, als ones that are similarly priced. The 501s I've gotten the past 2 weeks are gawdaful in quality and consistency in fit. I mainly just need them for real casual...bit of a trad guy so I'm talking sweater with jeans a boat shoes/bean boots. Also, a good recommendation for selvage would be appreciated (once again under 100 please).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads