• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

personone

Reaction score
I am a basic n00b starting out in fashion and I don't want to pay billions of dollars for a pair of jeans.

Is there any basic "rules" concerning jeans that I need to know before I make a purchase?

Erenoth

Reaction score

I am a basic n00b starting out in fashion and I don't want to pay billions of dollars for a pair of jeans.

Is there any basic "rules" concerning jeans that I need to know before I make a purchase?
Perhaps you should read through a couple pages of this thread, then rethink your question. There is too much information for any one, single post in the world of denim in general, let alone a pair of jeans.

lummers13

Reaction score

try reading through superfuture's superdenim encyclopedia
http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12729

Lots of good info there!

personone: In my opinion, stick to something that's not so trendy, either some type of decoration (back pockets) or fit. Something like a straight cut (and there are varying degrees of slimness between manufacturers and sometimes within each company). I'd say most of us like a dark and clean shade of denim (not sure if you'd like to start out with raw/dry denim) since it can be worn in dressier situations as well as casual. Lighter denim is nice for the warmer months. Cost is always subjective, but this market will always be around and there's so many options depending on your budget.

Figure out what you'd like out of a pair. The fit, the price range, the wash/color, if you'd like to jump into the endless world of raw denim, the brand, details etc. Come back to us for our *honest* opinion on any of those. That's what we're here for :cheers:

Last edited:

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fit is most important thing. For your first pair, try on Levis and APC New Standard (go to the APC thread for information on these).

Erenoth

Reaction score
I can't remember where exactly I saw them, but around a month ago I found some jeans online with a built-in metal ring circling one of the front belt loops (front left, I believe). Like I said- I can't remember exactly where I saw these, or the maker, etc, but the idea somewhat fascinated me; I carry around an assortment of EDC items, so having a designated area to attach my keyring to, without the possibility of wearing through a belt loop sounds pretty interesting. After checking out just about every single photo in the most recent Best of WAYWT, and Post pics of your denim thread, I've still yet to find the jeans again.

I'm not interested in purchasing another pair of jeans right now, but might "steal" the belt loop ring idea with a tungsten/titanium keyring I have. Thoughts on this?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
You mean Flat Head?

mfa6791-0001_img.jpg

Fairly common idea...

Erenoth

Reaction score
Wasn't the Flat Head silver double-ring, it was literally a welded, single ring attached to the belt loop before the loop was sewn in.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys I tried googling it and tried to look in the Blue in Green website but Pure Blue Japans that say the thread sizing is XX-008 or whatever. specifically for Pure Blue Japan Jeans - XX-008 Neo-Vintage Slim.. is the XX-00? does it mean the jean is slubbier the higher the number and smoother the lower? I'm confused on how it identifies the texture it just says it has sizing from 01- 09 etc..
Those are model numbers for PBJ's different jeans, they have nothing to do with thread sizing or slubbiness.

The most important rule is that you are going to want them to fit properly and for the cut to work with your body type. Also, you're going to have to spend a little bit of money (generally, at least $100) to get decent quality jeans.
How would that be functionally different than a standard key ring?
I don't think it would be functionally different, it might even be a little less versatile functionally than a split ring, but it might look better, depending on the ring that is attached.

Last edited:

Erenoth

Reaction score

How would that be functionally different than a standard key ring?

If I remember correctly, it was a "maker's mark" on the jeans. Instead of hanging your keys, or whatever else clipped to a belt loop, you hang them from the already-attached ring on the loop. Once again, from what I recall, it didn't hold any other significant purpose. I was just curious to see if anyone knew of the brand I was referring to, or had adopted a similar method of carrying their keychain around in an EDC pair of jeans.

ForbiddenX

Reaction score
I have a really quick and probably dumb question -.-

I've recently just started getting into raw denim and was wondering what the difference is between single cuffing and double cuffing? Is a single cuff when you just fold it up and a double cuff is when you fold it up then fold the cuff in or is the single and double is another fold?

Erenoth

Reaction score

I have a really quick and probably dumb question -.-

I've recently just started getting into raw denim and was wondering what the difference is between single cuffing and double cuffing? Is a single cuff when you just fold it up and a double cuff is when you fold it up then fold the cuff in or is the single and double is another fold?
Pretty sure a single cuff is just flipping up the hem to expose a moderate amount of the weft. Assuming I'm correct, a double cuff is when you then roll the hem once more, so that the actual hem itself is covered. Once again, assuming I'm correct, what you posted is also correct.

ForbiddenX

Reaction score
Pretty sure a single cuff is just flipping up the hem to expose a moderate amount of the weft. Assuming I'm correct, a double cuff is when you then roll the hem once more, so that the actual hem itself is covered. Once again, assuming I'm correct, what you posted is also correct.
Ok thank you for the quick response!

MRAMIT

Reaction score
I asked this in another thread sorry for the repost...
This seems more appropriate.

I'm looking for a pair of jeans i saw a dude wearing this weekend.
They were slightly pre-distressed with a small semi-hole near the front pocket.
The front left pocket (wearers left) had a red label spanning the entrance of the pocket
They were slightly tapered like a straight fit but slight taper.
There was a smaller pocket above the rear right pocket that had a zigzag stitching.

Does anyone know what these jeans are?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads