• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

david123

Reaction score
I took my APCs to my tailor to be hemmed and he ironed them, removing most of the fading. They'd been washed once very briefly and are much softer now than when new. Will I ever get fades out of them at this point?

JJJay23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JJJay23
hey guys, i was wondering what apc's and what nudies fit like levi's 511... my true waist size is 32 so it would be great if someone could suggest specific sizes for each. thanks!
is this the right place to be asking this question? i know, im a noob...

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ yes im not up on my nudie (lol) fits but this should help: http://www.nudiejeans.com/fitguide#/pan1
Originally Posted by Pahreen
Do you guys have any recommendations for a relatively slim (31" true waist, 10" rise, 15" leg opening) brand of jeans that doesn't cost as much as APC NS (I guess I would be a 28 in NS), or N&F Slim Guy? To be perfectly honest, I don't really care about having raw denim (don't like fading, aesthetically; prefer dark indigo) or selvedge construction. Any suggestions for under $100? Levis 511 is too slim. Levis 514 is too baggy. Sorry for such a noob question.
under $100 usually means youre getting into dicey territory vis a vis construction/quality; these have intrigued me for a while though: http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignatur...tn&cat4=505932 i give ll bean the benefit of the doubt in terms of quality, but who knows i think some guy in the signature thread said he bought them and was decently impressed
Originally Posted by Maniak90
Thanks for the suggestions! However, i don't think any of these jeans are available in sydney. Ideally i'd like to try them on first hand before i buy them because i've NEVER spent nearly as much money on a piece of clothing before! Does anyone else have any suggestions? I did a search of stores in sydney and the available jeans include: APC, nudie, aika, cheap monday, acne, Dior Homme. All these stores are in 1 street though so perhaps there are even more stores on that street.
one additional suggestion is imperial; aus brand so they must be available somewhere in sydney ive never liked their back pocket design but the quality is top shelf and the fades are incredible
Originally Posted by david123
I took my APCs to my tailor to be hemmed and he ironed them, removing most of the fading. They'd been washed once very briefly and are much softer now than when new. Will I ever get fades out of them at this point?
yeah you'll be fine, just try and go a while before the next wash

Tesla

Reaction score
Hey guys, my Taylor says he can size down a selvedge jean I have. I was telling him about it fitting me a little big, and he says he can do it without screwing the selvedge. Is he bulshitting me or it is doable? He's very skilled but I'm not sure about this one.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Quick question: Is "unwashed" denim the same thing as "raw" denim??

Second quick question: The tag on mine says avoid contact with light colour clothing but I always like to tuck in my polos. Will the dye on the inside waistband of these unwashed jeans rub their colour off on my white polo shirt?

SwiftLearner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seaslugs
Grim Tim is a 511 style tapered skinny.
Thin finns are basically jeggings.

Not sure I agree with this. My 511's fit a lot like my Thin Finns. Never tried the Grim Tims, but Nudie's jeggins are the Long Johns.

After wearing my Thin Finns a few times, they aren't even as tight as my 511's. They just have a "lower yoke" as they say and taper a bit more.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Quick question: Is "unwashed" denim the same thing as "raw" denim?? Second quick question: The tag on mine says avoid contact with light colour clothing but I always like to tuck in my polos. Will the dye on the inside waistband of these unwashed jeans rub their colour off on my white polo shirt?
Generally, yes. Depends on the jeans in question. Some have weak dyes or lots of excess dye that rubs off easily, others not so much. If it's indigo (synthetic or otherwise), it should come out in the wash regardless, as indigo is pretty crappy dyestuff

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for brands/cuts to try, because I'm not having a lot of luck. N&F Slim Guys are a perfect cut for me, but my wife hates the position of the pocket on my butt - there's a lot of space between the top of the jean and the top of the pocket, as a result the pocket sits too low on ****** and bugs her. She feels the same way about any pockets that are so long they extend past the bottom of my butt (like a pair of Ted Baker jeans that I have). I also have a pair of 7s that have the perfect combo of pocket size and position with cut, but now I want something in a dark selvedge denim.

So - I'm looking for something with a similar cut to the Slim Guy, with higher pockets. Also, I prefer little to no pocket detailing (ironically, given the 7s and TBs, but there ya go).

Suggestions?

Thanks!

sixteenmaton

Reaction score
i got a pair of 3sixteens and have been wearing them everyday for about 2.5months. But the thighs are still a bit tight for me.

Is there a way to stretch them out a bit more?? I heard about dampening them and then wearing them. How does this work?

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Need your help in finding a brand of jeans that work with my hip-to-waist ratio. Based on measuring various jeans I own (some of which work waist-wise, and some which work lef-wise) I need something that measures ~ 32.5" waist and 12.8" thigh. Ideally with a medium front rise (say 10-10.5"). Ideally they would have 8.5"-ish hem.

In terms of style, I am looking for nice selvedge denim, no funny washes on treatments, minimal adornment to pockets, etc. Ideally with a button fly

Have spent years, and much $ looking for the perfect pair - but no luck

Any advice?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Quick question: Is "unwashed" denim the same thing as "raw" denim??

Second quick question: The tag on mine says avoid contact with light colour clothing but I always like to tuck in my polos. Will the dye on the inside waistband of these unwashed jeans rub their colour off on my white polo shirt?

your avatar is awesome.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^SDA 105s are great-fitting BCs [for my built, of course].

[shameless plug] if you're around W33-34 & interested on some pre-owned/almost new bootcuts, drop me a pm
wink.gif

Originally Posted by R.O. Thornhill
Need your help in finding a brand of jeans that work with my hip-to-waist ratio. Based on measuring various jeans I own (some of which work waist-wise, and some which work lef-wise) I need something that measures ~ 32.5" waist and 12.8" thigh. Ideally with a medium front rise (say 10-10.5"). Ideally they would have 8.5"-ish hem.

In terms of style, I am looking for nice selvedge denim, no funny washes on treatments, minimal adornment to pockets, etc. Ideally with a button fly

Have spent years, and much $ looking for the perfect pair - but no luck

Any advice?

32.5" waist and 12.8" thigh on a 10/10.5" rise is not a common proportion. you may need to size up [on the waist] or bump up to higher rised cut.

but, in general, it'd have to be a 501 model 47' or '55 " repro "inspired" cut. depending on your criteria/taste/style & how much you're willing to spend__ KMW 1950, Sugarcane '47/'55, SDA 101, Eternal 811, Fullcount 0105, Skull 5507, Momo 201, Samurai 5000/001jp+510/002jp

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads