• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doublemazaa
I tried 505s, and 517s.

yeah try the 514s and 511,s 514s are slim staights and the 511s are skinnies. Rigids are Levi's version of raw sanforized denim, which will run about 98 bucks at the levi's store depending on which one you choose. I've seen some go between 20-50 at macy's.

If you can up your budget to say 160, you can get some APCs or Naked and Famous and possibly Nudies. Self Edge has nudies discount which will bring the total to around 170 with free shipping.

ryank1331

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here. I am looking at getting a new pair of jeans. I was looking at some selvedge, but them started to read and noticed that maybe I dont need to get selvedge.

I origianally thought that selvedge would last longer in terms of wear and washings and everything. Is that true?

Also, can anyone recommend some good jeans that wont wear out in a week?

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryank1331
Hey guys, new here. I am looking at getting a new pair of jeans. I was looking at some selvedge, but them started to read and noticed that maybe I dont need to get selvedge. I origianally thought that selvedge would last longer in terms of wear and washings and everything. Is that true? Also, can anyone recommend some good jeans that wont wear out in a week?
its true you don't really need selvedge denim, what attracts certain people is that outseam of selvedge.
800px-Selvagedenim.jpg
^ Example. What is your price range, and what is your preferred cut/fit?

WhiskeyBent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaseshift
what kind of levi's did you order?

Under 100, I'd recommend 514s Rigid or 511s Rigid, not sure how much Matchsticks go for nowadays

The sticker for Matchstick's is $98, I believe.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
phaseshift - just noticed your sig. Props to you and thank you for your service.

Anyways, back to raw selvage jorts. Heck yes.

I have a pair of raw selvage Denime cut-offs that I got for about 300 yen at a random store in Tokyo last spring. Best purchase of the entire trip.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
does anyone know how much the pbj-001 or 002's will stretch out? i am wondering if i can expect the same amount of stretching as some of the normal pbj 005s. etc. or or if i can expect more stretching?

I've never worn or handled either of those models before, so I couldn't tell you for sure, but looking at closeup pics of the denim on those two, it looks almost identical to the denim used on the Oni Shoais. I can tell you that the Shoais stretch really good, as good as regular PBJs and regular Onis.

Hey guys, new here. I am looking at getting a new pair of jeans. I was looking at some selvedge, but them started to read and noticed that maybe I dont need to get selvedge.

I origianally thought that selvedge would last longer in terms of wear and washings and everything. Is that true?

Also, can anyone recommend some good jeans that wont wear out in a week?

Being selvage doesn't automatically make denim better, there is plenty of low-quality selvage denim around too. However, all of the best denim around does happen to be selvage.

What kind of price range are you looking in for your jeans?

ryank1331

Reaction score
I am looking at low rise, regular/loose fit. Not really baggy, but not to tight.

I want them to be sturdy, and crisp feeling.

I am tired of denim that looks good when they are new, only to wear and wash them and have them feel thin and uncrisp.

I like all the Nudie jeans, Naked Famous, Apc, but was wondering if there are some cheaper options?

phaseshift

Reaction score
I am looking at low rise, regular/loose fit. Not really baggy, but not to tight.

I want them to be sturdy, and crisp feeling.

I am tired of denim that looks good when they are new, only to wear and wash them and have them feel thin and uncrisp.

I like all the Nudie jeans, Naked Famous, Apc, but was wondering if there are some cheaper options?

levi's rigid line depending on your thighs haha you can go with some 514s or 501s shrink to fits. under 100.

Raw Denim will give you that crisp strudy feeling, but as all denim when washed and consistent wear will become soft. Just a matter of how often you wash and wear them.

I try not wash new pair of denim for atleast 6 months, there are ways to remove the stank if they do get to the point they are stanky haha.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey guys, new here. I am looking at getting a new pair of jeans. I was looking at some selvedge, but them started to read and noticed that maybe I dont need to get selvedge. I origianally thought that selvedge would last longer in terms of wear and washings and everything. Is that true? Also, can anyone recommend some good jeans that wont wear out in a week?
to give you a simple answer no, you certainly do not need a pair of selvage denim. selvage denim is woven on whats called a shuttle loom and in the weaving process cross threads go back and forth as a continual thread, which is indeed is superior to the denim produced on a modern projectile loom. imo, japanese selvage denim is the finest around and if i understand you correctly you want something to last so i would start there. the other issue you need to think about is the fit, color and weight of the denim. for starters, do you prefer a slim fit, a straight fit, a loose fit? do you want a light weight denim? do you want a pure indigo jeans or a natural indigo jean? these are the types of things you need to sort-out. its very hard to recommend a denim brand without knowing what you want. i have been wearing raw japanese denim for 5-6 years and i have never had a pair fall apart. many of us wear our jeans on a daily basis and sometimes you might need to get an area reinforced or a pocket lining repaired but this is totally normal given the amount of use they get. the other thing you need to lets us know is the price range your in. for a good pair of selvage denim (japanese selvage) will cost at least $200 and can go as high as $2,000 for a pair. yes, you can find things for cheaper but i would avoid them, even if your new to raw denim. so what we need is a price range and type of fit you want.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
I've never worn or handled either of those models before, so I couldn't tell you for sure, but looking at closeup pics of the denim on those two, it looks almost identical to the denim used on the Oni Shoais. I can tell you that the Shoais stretch really good, as good as regular PBJs and regular Onis.

yeah, thats a good point. but the problem i have is i need them to rest at 34 or 34.5" in the waist and size 34 measures 33 in the waist (o/w) and if it gives 2" them they will fit looser then what i want. a size 32 measures 32 in the waist (o/w) which might be a little tight especially if i cant get 2" in stretching. see what i am saying. i want to get it right the first time ...

i e-mail pbj to see if i could get something out of them but i doubt i will hear back because it was in english.

ill figure it out i suppose.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking at low rise, regular/loose fit. Not really baggy, but not to tight. I want them to be sturdy, and crisp feeling. I am tired of denim that looks good when they are new, only to wear and wash them and have them feel thin and uncrisp. I like all the Nudie jeans, Naked Famous, Apc, but was wondering if there are some cheaper options?
Originally Posted by phaseshift
levi's rigid line depending on your thighs haha you can go with some 514s or 501s shrink to fits. under 100. Raw Denim will give you that crisp strudy feeling, but as all denim when washed and consistent wear will become soft. Just a matter of how often you wash and wear them. I try not wash new pair of denim for atleast 6 months, there are ways to remove the stank if they do get to the point they are stanky haha.
Like phaseshift said, denim is always going to soften up as you wear and wash it. No matter what kind of denim you have, that is going to happen. Cheaper options also include Unbranded, Gap, Uniqlo, and BDG in addition to the Levi's mentioned. As with most things, with denim, you do generally get what you pay for, so the cheaper stuff won't be as nice as the other brands you mentioned above, though.
Originally Posted by whatever123
yeah, thats a good point. but the problem i have is i need them to rest at 34 or 34.5" in the waist and size 34 measures 33 in the waist (o/w) and if it gives 2" them they will fit looser then what i want. a size 32 measures 32 in the waist (o/w) which might be a little tight especially if i cant get 2" in stretching. see what i am saying. i want to get it right the first time ... i e-mail pbj to see if i could get something out of them but i doubt i will hear back because it was in english. ill figure it out i suppose.
Yeah, tough call. I would probably do the 34 based on what you gave me there. Most denim won't stretch a full 2" unless it is undersized to start with.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by areyounoob
I know this question has been butchered to smitherines but will Unbranded jeans shrink?

Unbrandeds are sanforized, so they won't get any significant shrinkage from washing or soaking.

areyounoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
Unbrandeds are sanforized, so they won't get any significant shrinkage from washing or soaking.

Ah, thank you.
Are they true to size? The reason I'm asking is cause I'm a 27 waist. =/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads