• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would you condition/care for this case?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
nest.gif

Tha is b/c they only looked in South Philly. Or only looked at Geno's & Pats before an Eagles game which is still South Philly. Damn, I miss Philly.

True. I live in Northen Liberties and there are some people that know how to dress. However, the hipsters have taken over with skinny jeans, flannel shirts, and beards on both the men and the women.

I stay away from South Street as I'm afraid the Jersey Shore type may corrupt my DNA somehow.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
For the love of G-d, I hope he does. The world needs more of this.

+1

My wardrobe is considerably less epic that Woe's, but if I had clothes like that I wouldn't hesitate to wear them to work.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a bold statement of personal style, the outfit works, yes - but as a work outfit? Well, he'd better have the legal talent to back up his flashy clothing and the attention it will draw. I wish woe all the best in that department.

I really like the vibe, but at the same time it's like an ad - some/many (nice) things going on, but you somtimes get the impression that they are trying to squeeze as many things into a single shot as possible.
confused.gif

Then again, it could just be me.
redface.gif

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
As a bold statement of personal style, the outfit works, yes - but as a work outfit? Well, he'd better have the legal talent to back up his flashy clothing and the attention it will draw. I wish woe all the best in that department. I really like the vibe, but at the same time it's like an ad - some/many (nice) things going on, but you somtimes get the impression that they are trying to squeeze as many things into a single shot as possible.
confused.gif
Then again, it could just be me.
redface.gif

There is a lot going on, but that's because it's an editorial shot for his blog, not a candid. If it were, I assure you he would be wearing that scarf in a more practical manner, coupled with the requisite topcoat, and probably two fewer items of flair.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Eh, in response to your deleted comment - I'm not, and that's a nasty ad hominem - but its kinda weird how SF trashes GQ, and then in the next breath falls over itself to heap praise on these looks. Woe has a lot of goodwill here as he should because he's a nice guy, and that together with his confidence/being easy on the eyes IMO has a lot to do with this overwhelmingly positive response. I've just been struck recently by how so much emphasis is placed on in SF (and approval given to) looks that are "ballsy", that attract attention, that are conspicuous, that project 'swagger', and an overall impression that the subject is a "big timer", which when you really think about it has nothing to do with dressing well and has more in common with a high school locker room. And then you realise that on some level, there is a congruity of aim in that approach to dressing with guidos/chavs/whatever. Doesn't make any sense to me, but then again my tastes run more conservative. Just my 0.02
confused.gif

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Eh, in response to your deleted comment - I'm not, and that's a nasty ad hominem

I deleted it for that very reason. I think it bothers me a bit when we start questioning other members' spending or professionalism. I'm sure you mean well, but it can come off a bit patronizing.

As far as internal SF contradictions go, it's easy to see that the forvm preaches "soporific" style, but celebrates the dandy.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I like woe and his style, but I agree with apropos. I don't know if I would take my lawyer seriously with this outfit. I would be focused more on the outfit than on legal advice.

I would get the bag dyed to a darker tan.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a dreadful ensemble.

Any leather conditioner occasionally.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, many of you fail to recognize the fact that in the legal profession it is more likely you will not see your clients on a daily basis, than you will see them. I may see a client 3-4 times a year.

Not everyone is in court everyday with a client close at hand.

Mike

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Of course, many of you fail to recognize the fact that in the legal profession it is more likely you will not see your clients on a daily basis, than you will see them. I may see a client 3-4 times a year.

Not everyone is in court everyday with a client close at hand.

Mike

Excellent point. If Woe can pull it off in his office, all the better. At one of my buddies firms, if someone even shows up wearing a sport coat they are asked (by colleagues) if they are due in court
frown.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Excellent point. If Woe can pull it off in his office, all the better. At one of my buddies firms, if someone even shows up wearing a sport coat they are asked (by colleagues) if they are due in court
frown.gif

They used to ask me that as well.....

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^but its kinda weird how SF trashes GQ, and then in the next breath falls over itself to heap praise on these looks. Woe has a lot of goodwill here as he should because he's a nice guy, and that together with his confidence/being easy on the eyes IMO has a lot to do with this overwhelmingly positive response.

I've just been struck recently by how so much emphasis is placed on in SF (and approval given to) looks that are "ballsy", that attract attention, that are conspicuous, that project 'swagger', and an overall impression that the subject is a "big timer", which when you really think about it has nothing to do with dressing well and has more in common with a high school locker room.

And then you realise that on some level, there is a congruity of aim in that approach to dressing with guidos/chavs/whatever.

Doesn't make any sense to me, but then again my tastes run more conservative. Just my 0.02
confused.gif

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I like woe and his style, but I agree with apropos. I don't know if I would take my lawyer seriously with this outfit. I would be focused more on the outfit than on legal advice.

Nice Guy + Good Looking +Great Photography....And WOE gets not only a pass but praise.

I even debated commenting, because he does have something about his fit pics. That being said, if this was lifted of of GQ, Pitti, or Esquire's man from past year Dan, it would get attacked.

Putting aside if a lawyer should dress like this or not, there would be comments on how tight the clothes fit, jacket length, the blue shirt, the scarf, the glasses+ PS in the top pocket, questions about the second white item on the lower pocket. Is it a second PS?

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*interrupted Billing just to type this reply*
musicboohoo[1].gif

all this furor over a Ronald McDonald-tinted briefcase?!
I appreciate everyone's input.

Just to quickly address the "not appropriate lawyer uniform" thing, I'm not sure where people got the perception that I roll into court, or meet clients looking like this on a daily basis. There are several posters with myriad occupations, I don't know that their fits are regarded in the context of their day-jobs before SF decides if they they look good or not.

You either like it or you don't. The way i put bread on the table shouldn't make a whole lot of difference in coming to your ultimate conclusion.

Short answer: No, i probably wouldn't go before a judge or client in this ensemble. But I also wouldn't wear an all-black suit either. I usually save looks like this for Fridays when everyone is going to cut out early and end up under a barstool. I do think there is plenty of room for some degree sprezz (for lack of a better term) in any legal environment.

To the person who referred to the fit as "dreadful," if you think I look that bad, then you must not have met many lawyers in your day. I'm just saying. As an occupation, we typipcally don't do that well for ourselves in the style department.

As for as the fit generally, *shrug* As always, I have much to learn from this community, and am working on the kinks. But I can unbashadly say, I think it's pretty good.
the "secondary item" in the lower pocket is just the inner-lining of an upturned pocket flap on a windy day.

Regarding the briefcase: As advertised, it appeared much more Tan. I was definitely taken aback when I received it, and saw what it looked like in person. A bit radioactive, yes. But I've grown to love it. I might try and darken it with some polish (any ideas welcome), but I like how striking/unique it is. Again, I have a more conservative case for more conservative occasions. It's a deep crocodile green and fits nicely into my breast pocket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads