• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to clean leather boots and shoes? Steps? Please provide some clarity.

detonate

Reaction score
I would like to clean my Katahdin Iron Works Engineer Boots properly. This will be my first time cleaning leather shoes without water, soap, and some all-in-one polish found at the local drugstore.

I purchased Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner but don't know where to begin.

Do I clean, condition, and then polish? The Iron Works Boot did not have a shine when I bought them and I prefer that they don't shine, thus do I still need to polish?

If I want to clean my boots again, lets say from dirt, should I use the Lexol cleaner or a damp towel? If I use the Lexol cleaner, will I be required to redo the conditioning and the polishing?

For shoes such as AEs that have a shine, I would clean, condition, and polish? When do I apply the water/stain repellent?

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What an unbelievably naive first post - a grown man needing to be told how to learn to clean his shoes/boots. Read the instructions on the various containers and use the Search function - there are a few threads on the subject but few if any demanding such basics.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
^^ this guy is being an ass.

GBR--there isn't much information out there for people looking to clean oiled leather boots on SF.

Since they are oiled leather, I would think you could use the same instructions as red wing provides for their oiled boots on their

FOR OILED LEATHERS
1)Remove dirt from the shoe by cleaning thoroughly with a stiff bristle brush.
2)Scrub gently with Red Wing Shoes Leather Cleaner, then wipe off the cleaner and dirt with a clean cloth. Boots should then be dried naturally in a cool, dry place, as high heat can remove oils in the leather.
3)Using leather cleaner reduces the oil in the leather. To re-add oil to the leather apply Red Wing Shoes Boot Oil or Mink Oil as directed.
4)Add extra protection to preserve your footwear investment. Red Wing Leather Protector provides an invisible shield from water, dirt, oil, and mud.

This seems like it's a pretty good idea. Oiled leather isnt too finicky, and you can get away with a lot, even just using conditioner (i'd recommend allen edmonds cleaner conditioner, it's pretty cheap and they ship for free). People will tell you to use saphir renovateur, but for your purposes its unnecessary.

You could also call LL Bean and see what they recommend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics