• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much would you pay for a pocket square?

TexasToast

Reaction score
I would love to get some pocket squares and Ive seen some outrageous prices what is the most you'll pay for a pocket square?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't remember how much they cost, but I've paid somewhere around $120 for Rumisu pocket squares. They have nice, cheerful designs that I like, and they're printed on a gauzy silk that's hard to find elsewhere (crepe).

That said, most of my squares are from Drake's. Don't remember how much they charge.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mostly I buy Rampley and Co and Drakes these days. Rampley is about $110+tax depending on exchange rate. Drakes is about $115+tax.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Outrageous” is a relative term as applied to clothing purchases—someone who buys $500 suits is unlikely to spend a quarter of that on a piece of silk the size of a dinner napkin that is mostly hidden from view.

But as with jewelry, often the smallest things you wear are the most “precious.”

Mostly you want pocket squares that look like they were hand-crafted. Cheap squares are often coarse and thick, machine-printed on one side only, with flat edges sewn on another machine. They are lifeless.

A fine pocket square will be made of very thin silk (or Irish linen) and have a lively design with rich colors. The edges will be rolled and sewn by hand. In your own hand it will feel luxurious.

It’s hard to get those qualities from a machine, and as always, anything handmade costs more. The good news is you can find lots of nice used pocket squares on eBay.

TexasToast

Reaction score
“Outrageous” is a relative term as applied to clothing purchases—someone who buys $500 suits is unlikely to spend a quarter of that on a piece of silk the size of a dinner napkin that is mostly hidden from view.

But as with jewelry, often the smallest things you wear are the most “precious.”

Mostly you want pocket squares that look like they were hand-crafted. Cheap squares are often coarse and thick, machine-printed on one side only, with flat edges sewn on another machine. They are lifeless.

A fine pocket square will be made of very thin silk (or Irish linen) and have a lively design with rich colors. The edges will be rolled and sewn by hand. In your own hand it will feel luxurious.

It’s hard to get those qualities from a machine, and as always, anything handmade costs more. The good news is you can find lots of nice used pocket squares on eBay.

How did you know I wouldn't spend a 1/4 of what I spent on my suit on a pocket square. I did see some nice PS from Rampley and Co and those PS I would spend what they are asking. The PS at Rampley and Co are AMAZING and didn't cost $500 thanks
ValidusLA for suggesting them.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

FWIW, nearly all the pocket squares coveted on this forum -- Rubinacci, Drake's, etc -- have machine-sewn edges. They just look like they've been done by hand.

To the OP, I recommend just getting stuff that makes you happy. If you're looking for deals, The Real Real has pocket squares from Hermes and Charvet for pretty cheap.

TexasToast

Reaction score
FWIW, nearly all the pocket squares coveted on this forum -- Rubinacci, Drake's, etc -- have machine-sewn edges. They just look like they've been done by hand.

To the OP, I recommend just getting stuff that makes you happy. If you're looking for deals, The Real Real has pocket squares from Hermes and Charvet for pretty cheap.

Thanks for the link I will check them out.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe the brands you mention have machine-rolled edges which is different from machine-sewn. The latter just have a flat hem edge (cheap looking) while the machine-rolled edges do approximate handwork. In any case, a lot of what you pay for with those brands is their archive of designs going back decades. I like a lot of those but also the more modern designs.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe the brands you mention have machine-rolled edges which is different from machine-sewn. The latter just have a flat hem edge (cheap looking) while the machine-rolled edges do approximate handwork. In any case, a lot of what you pay for with those brands is their archive of designs going back decades. I like a lot of those but also the more modern designs.

My understanding is that they're both machine rolled and machine sewn. Most companies buy from the same remaining silk printers located in Macclesfield or Como. These companies offer silkscreening or inkjet printing for their silks, and then give you the option of machine rolling the edge. They don't have a hand-finishing service.

So when you get the squares, you'll often get something like what you see below. Here are five pocket square edges. The gold edge is Rubinacci and the brown edge is from Drake's. These two examples show what you'll mostly commonly get from these houses. The standout here is the grey edge (Hermes), which is one of the few companies that doesn't use these Macclesfield or Como silk printers. They do their printing and finishing in-house. The grey Hermes edge here is also hand-rolled and handsewn.

Unconfirmed 532375.jpg

Outside of Hermes, most large companies don't offer handsewn edges. It's just too time and labor-intensive given their volumes. On the upside, they can also afford to create and print their own designs. Smaller producers, on the other hand, often use offcuts for their fabrics.

Here's an example: Vanda square made from an offcut fabric, but with a handrolled edge. The Rubinacci square is machine sewn, but made from a unique fabric.

photo69.jpeg

You can always tell when the edge is sewn by machine because the exposed stitching looks like this. Most of the coveted pocket squares on this forum are finished this way -- Drake's Rubinacci, etc.

1000.jpg

Handsewn edges aren't so easily categorized. Some feature more imperfections than others; some have more hidden stitching than others. This is a Vanda edge with little imperfection, but it's still hand-made

1000d.jpg

The only edges I would avoid are "napkin" type of edges, where the edge is completely flat. But other that, I think you can just buy stuff based on its emotional resonance. I wear my Drake's and Rubinacci pocket squares even though they're machine-made. (Some of the respectable companies now even use inkjet printed silks, which used to be considered a no-no)

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that they're both machine rolled and machine sewn. Most companies buy from the same remaining silk printers located in Macclesfield or Como. These companies offer silkscreening or inkjet printing for their silks, and then give you the option of machine rolling the edge. They don't have a hand-finishing service.

So when you get the squares, you'll often get something like what you see below. Here are five pocket square edges. The gold edge is Rubinacci and the brown edge is from Drake's. These two examples show what you'll mostly commonly get from these houses. The standout here is the grey edge (Hermes), which is one of the few companies that doesn't use these Macclesfield or Como silk printers. They do their printing and finishing in-house. The grey Hermes edge here is also hand-rolled and handsewn.

View attachment 1660513

Outside of Hermes, most large companies don't offer handsewn edges. It's just too time and labor-intensive given their volumes. On the upside, they can also afford to create and print their own designs. Smaller producers, on the other hand, often use offcuts for their fabrics.

Here's an example: Vanda square made from an offcut fabric, but with a handrolled edge. The Rubinacci square is machine sewn, but made from a unique fabric.

View attachment 1660514

You can always tell when the edge is sewn by machine because the exposed stitching looks like this. Most of the coveted pocket squares on this forum are finished this way -- Drake's Rubinacci, etc.

View attachment 1660516

Handsewn edges aren't so easily categorized. Some feature more imperfections than others; some have more hidden stitching than others. This is a Vanda edge with little imperfection, but it's still hand-made

View attachment 1660517

The only edges I would avoid are "napkin" type of edges, where the edge is completely flat. But other that, I think you can just buy stuff based on its emotional resonance. I wear my Drake's and Rubinacci pocket squares even though they're machine-made. (Some of the respectable companies now even use inkjet printed silks, which used to be considered a no-no)
Totally agree, as long as the edge is rolled, it’s fine whatever the technique. And yes, some of the smaller brands that are genuinely handmade have sub-standard printing in my opinion.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rampley & Co. Last one that I bought was $105 with the current exchange rate. Quality is phenomenal. The range of designs is extensive. And, you're helping to support a genuine small business run by exceptional people rather than some anonymous French or Italian fashion house..

And if you need to get up to 100 pounds for free shipping, I highly suggest their socks. Best I've ever owned.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
See, here's the thing. You can get great pocket squares for cheap. I have two from a drake's sample sale, one from a robert talbott sample sale, one Drake's from a J. Crew bargain bin, one from Kent Wang... And these are all new, you can always thrift.

If you want to pay $120 for a pocket square, if you just need that square, go ahead. But you can build a collection of very nice squares at ~$20-30 per, with enough patience.

jack webb

Reaction score
"...but I've paid somewhere around $120 for Rumisu pocket squares..."

Move that decimal point one notch to the left and perhaps I'm interested.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trumbus