• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much should a man spend on his watch?

How much should a man spend on his watch?

• No more than a Timex.

• Under $500

• Between $500 and $1,000

• Style isn’t cheap. The more zeroes the better.

• My phone tells the time just fine.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Styleforum Ari

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
rol.jpeg
nomos.jpeg
linjer.jpg
iwatch.jpg

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Style isn’t cheap. The more zeroes the better?" Style can be cheap, it's the quality that bring the zeroes

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My every day watch is a Casio digital watch that my daughter
gave me as a birthday present when she was in high school.
She now has three kids. For important ceremonial occasions
like Coronations and Style Forum Meet-ups- we haven't had one
in the Bay Area since 2016, I wear an 18k gold Omega Sea-
master De Ville from 1963. I am the original owner.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My every day watch is a Casio digital watch that my daughter
gave me as a birthday present when she was in high school.
She now has three kids. For important ceremonial occasions
like Coronations and Style Forum Meet-ups- we haven't had one
in the Bay Area since 2016, I wear an 18k gold Omega Sea-
master De Ville from 1963. I am the original owner.
That's brilliant. I'm looking at some vintage Seamasters from that time right now.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three watches. My everyday watch is an IWC Ingenieur from the late 90s. It was the return to the Gerald Genta style Ingeniuer. It's small relative to the original and newer Ingenieur version of the same shape. I also have an IWC Mark XII EF in titanium. EF are my initials and finding one was not easy considering there are only 100 made for the Italian market. It's on a strap, so I wear it more in the winter, when sweat is less of an issue. Finally, I have my grandfather's 1940/50s Longines. It's a gold HW on a black strap with a champagne dial and a domed plastic crystal. It's very petite as were many watches of that era. I only wear it for evening events that do not require black tie. I don't wear any watch with black tie.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fok:
Mine has no date window. I never liked them because
they spoiled the austere round dial.

city74

Reaction score
I didn’t vote on the poll because none of them are what I think. To me you spend how much you can afford, but only if you are into watches. If you aren’t then wear whatever you like at whatever cost even if it’s a $20 Timex. If you are into watches then buy what you like and can afford. Most people don’t notice your watch anyways

Galix

Reaction score
I've had big brand names on my wrist. Loved them, but at the end every single of them was sold.
I own only two watches now, my daily wearer a Longines Heritage that cost me under 1k, and a Festina Extra with Milanese mesh strap that everyone can buy for around 100 bucks.
Quality difference is obviously huge. But enjoyment is pretty much equal. So what matters IMO is design and how the watch matches the overall style.

Article 26

Reaction score
I didn’t vote on the poll because none of them are what I think. To me you spend how much you can afford, but only if you are into watches. If you aren’t then wear whatever you like at whatever cost even if it’s a $20 Timex. If you are into watches then buy what you like and can afford. Most people don’t notice your watch anyways
I’d say more people notice your watch than you realise - yes, it’s not the be-all, but it’s one of the few accessories a man can get away with with out looking a twat. (Jewelled encrusted aside.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads