• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started some low heart rate training recently and I have to say, its ******* boring. The most engaging part is making it a game to try and keep my heart rate right on a specific number. Everything I have read shows real benefit to the training, so I am committed to giving it a solid effort, but if I were running any slower I would be in a **** Christopher Nolan film...
Hopefully not TeneT or Inception because then you wouldn't know if you're going backwards or forwards or if you're really running.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5.5 miles with 1K ft gain in the neighborhood. Skipped the side streets which are pretty flat and just went up and down the hill. I could do a shorter distance with more gain but this allows a somewhat flat section. I actually liked this more than the normal route for some reason.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.4mi, 7:48/mi, 136bpm -- Z2 'rollercoaster' jog / Kenyan hills (whatever you want to call a route that is continually up and down) + 5x 12s strides at the end.

--

@bdavro23 - I empathize with you on MAF and other various low HR methods being painfully boring. The thing that a lot of those programs fail to mention is that adaptation takes A LONG time. But if you're able to pack in huge weekly volume like @Michigan Planner without breaking down, you'll have a huge aerobic base. Don't be afraid to throw in strides & hill sprints to keep your form sharp after all that easy running. A little goes a long way.

@FlyingMonkey - Those shoulders look hella suspect...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10.75 miles this morning.

I went looking for the nature preserve that I mentioned yesterday but couldn't find an entrance from the north end of it like I had planned (I thought I saw an access point but I couldn't tell if it was a trail or just a path in somebody's yard and a neighbor happened to be in the yard next door doing some gardening so I didn't want to just start wandering around in what might have been private property). I may try again one day this weekend or next week to see if I can find an entrance from the other side. Oh well... it did give me an opportunity to explore a neighborhood I had never been in before and discovered that it's a lot nicer than I imagined it was.

I started some low heart rate training recently and I have to say, its ******* boring. The most engaging part is making it a game to try and keep my heart rate right on a specific number. Everything I have read shows real benefit to the training, so I am committed to giving it a solid effort, but if I were running any slower I would be in a **** Christopher Nolan film...

@bdavro23 - I empathize with you on MAF and other various low HR methods being painfully boring. The thing that a lot of those programs fail to mention is that adaptation takes A LONG time. But if you're able to pack in huge weekly volume like @Michigan Planner without breaking down, you'll have a huge aerobic base. Don't be afraid to throw in strides & hill sprints to keep your form sharp after all that easy running. A little goes a long way.

@FlyingMonkey - Those shoulders look hella suspect...

@bdavro23 - Like Dusty, I empathize with you. It can be exceedingly difficult to get those low HR workouts in and make them still feel like you're accomplishing something. I know I should probably do them more often but I try to do at least one long-ish run every 10 - 14 days where I attempt to keep my HR below about 130 the entire time. I usually get fed up with it after about 45 minutes or so and then turn around and push myself hard on the way home. I probably royally screw up the low HR workout but then I just figure at least I get in a nice negative split workout!

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11 mile easy bike ride around town yesterday. after 2 weeks of crap weather (either 50F with rain or 90F with suffocating humidity) the northeast has finally leveled out with a beautiful week of mid 70s to 80s and no humidity. it's wonderful and i couldn't just sit around and let it go to waste.

almost all of my low HR / low effort runs are all recovery runs after harder days. helps to keep my going slow when my legs are incapable of actually going fast ha.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: Saucony Endorphin Speed now on sale for $120 shipped.

Be sure to check around as this price-drop is universal. There may be other stockiests with codes that stack for an even better deal. I’ve run through two pairs of these and think they’re an awesome ‘do everything’ shoe.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: Saucony Endorphin Speed now on sale for $120 shipped.

Be sure to check around as this price-drop is universal. There may be other stockiests with codes that stack for an even better deal. I’ve run through two pairs of these and think they’re an awesome ‘do everything’ shoe.

Not, unfortunately, in Canada.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.1 total trail miles tonight. The first 2.7 were a warmup with 550ft gain then the other 5.4 miles and 990ft gain were with my trail group and the summer mixer. I’d guess roughly 70 people showed up and I led the longer route. None of the super fast guys showed but I managed to get the 5.4 miler under 50min which shocked me given the heat. I pressed on as I heard someone behind me for most of the run then just kept at it for the remainder. Satisfying evening of running if I do say so myself.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
22 intracity miles on the gravel bike. Golden Gate Park, Great Highway, and a bit of Ocean Beach.

D222CBA1-432E-4EDC-AA3F-68C761AB48B4.jpeg
A201033C-8E2E-4CAF-86E2-74CB8C7931B3.jpeg
84CFD511-0C09-43EF-8D46-1DCAD0309416.jpeg
8E64F349-E2A2-48F1-AE54-8499C721E3D5.jpeg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since school's ended, the local HS track has been open so got in another track workout. I've been trying to follow the advice earlier that if you want to get fast you need to run fast.

4 lap warmup came in at 7:42 which is a SB for me. Today I worked on 200m sprints and got 28.9 seconds for my best sprint. I need to continue working on overall top speed.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another PSA for those who are interested in the latest FIRE drops... (IE: Just me, I know this is a pretty frugal group.)

Nike Vaporfly Next % 2's - Hayward Limited Edition (absolute instakop for me)

ADIDAS ADIZERO ADIOS PRO 2 - I don't usually like / get on with Adidas but had to kop on principle alone.

District Vision / Maurten Shorts - 6 individual slots in the back for gels. Comes with 12 Maurten gels. Small waists only. :(

Update:
Performance Enhancing Burritos tee - https://trackstaa.com/product/perfo...hirt/?utm_source=IGShopping&utm_medium=Social

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, things weren't so bad as I had feared - or maybe, for once, I stopped at the right time the other day. Either way, I went out on a test run today which ranged from recovery pace to steady and everything was fine. I didn't try any sudden accelerations or tempo pace. Overall: 13.2km (8.2 miles), average pace: 4:57/km (7:58/mile). I will do my 35km extra long run on Sunday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads