• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 miles with 5 at tempo pace. Average pace for the run was 8:03.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did 8 mile Monday morning with the temp at -12º and then 5 more this morning with them temp at -18º (these are Fahrenheit temps folks! :freeze:). Both days I decided to drive to the gym and use that as my starting and stopping point so I could jump right into the steam room afterwards. Next time I do that I might take my bathing suit so I can go into the hot tub for a while instead.

This morning when I got into the locker room and started to undress I noticed that I had ice forming on the inside of my clothes between some of the layers. I cannot recall that happening before.

Yo-han

Reaction score
7k to work today. Usually try to avoid running fast since I prefer distance over pace but had a go yesterday home from work, really pleased as never been sub40 on 10k before and this was with a 3kg+ backpack.

blahspam

Reaction score
Sub 40 on a 10k is pretty damn quick. Well done Yo-han.

8 miles yesterday and this afternoon. Yesterday was a slog but today felt pretty easy.

I've decided I need to focus on my downhill speed if I want to better compete in some of these trail races. Anyone have any advice on how to go about that?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 trail miles this afternoon at my planned marathon pace. It's awesome that the pace feels super slow right now!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sub 40 on a 10k is pretty damn quick. Well done Yo-han.

8 miles yesterday and this afternoon. Yesterday was a slog but today felt pretty easy.

I've decided I need to focus on my downhill speed if I want to better compete in some of these trail races. Anyone have any advice on how to go about that?

I have not used the "gravity" approach which to me just seems like barreling down the hill during longer 20+ mile runs but I think it would take a lot out of your legs. I do it on shorter runs and it seems to work fine but my legs are more tired after that.

Shorter strides seem to create the least amount of stress but it still takes a toll on your legs after a while. I have read that doing leg based workouts helps a lot on the downhills so squats both weighted and air as well as deadlifts should improve leg strength which will help with the downhills.

I took this week off due to weather and everything in Nashville closing at odd times. I also wasn't about to run in the snow which hid a nice sheet of ice.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not used the "gravity" approach which to me just seems like barreling down the hill during longer 20+ mile runs but I think it would take a lot out of your legs. I do it on shorter runs and it seems to work fine but my legs are more tired after that.

Shorter strides seem to create the least amount of stress but it still takes a toll on your legs after a while. I have read that doing leg based workouts helps a lot on the downhills so squats both weighted and air as well as deadlifts should improve leg strength which will help with the downhills.

I took this week off due to weather and everything in Nashville closing at odd times. I also wasn't about to run in the snow which hid a nice sheet of ice.

Out on my run this afternoon, I saw a guy running in combat boots carrying a full pack. Now that, HAS to be hard on the legs...

But yeah, I'm with you on the shorter strides going downhill on long runs. I love barreling down the hills during shorter runs.

Years ago, a friend and I would run full-tilt down the trails in Yosemite Valley, bouncing around the tourists and just generally wreaking havoc. It was great fun, but my knees can't take that anymore!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished 9.1 miles, and my wife is still sleeping! :)

BillyBee

Reaction score
4 K run and 1500 meter swim and 10 mile bike.

I have to start using "Map My Run" again. I've become lazy with technology, except my Nano for music.

I use a SWIM P3 for music in the water while swimming. Pretty neat device. Don't like it in open water in the Ocean as feel more comfortable when can hear what's around me. For pool laps, it's great.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clocked 4 miles today at a 9/min pace...Mo is one fast guy! Felt good to get in a run today. I felt like a sloth all week stuck inside.

blahspam

Reaction score
Got in about 10 miles at a pretty aggressive pace for me (felt like sub 8:00 mile). Was a little hungover and considered skipping but glad I didn't as I would have regret it all day.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
5 miles in GGP and on the beach. The headwind running south on the beach was vicious, and it took a lot out of me. Of course it didn't give back nearly as much as it took when I headed back north!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
horakeross