• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
First post here....I started running 2.5 months ago.
Started at .25 miles and have been running 4-6 times a week since day one.
I have been doing alot of treadmill work, but have since found some lovely trails to run.
I ran 6.25 miles today in just about an hour on my fav trails.
My problem is, my damn calves keep either getting strained or badly cramping. Today, at the very end (which is why it ended) my right calf just froze.
What can anyone recomend to prevent this? I drank half a liter of water before I ran (30 minutes before), I stretch after each run and usually walk another mile or so after I run to cool down, am I missing something? I do not get cramps anywhere else.
Either way, I would say I am sufficiently addicted to running!
Any advice?

You live in hot climate I imagine? The majority of my "long" runs are done on trails and I am almost sure your problem is hydration. I'll run anywhere from 4-9 miles at a fast pace in 90+ degree weather and not cramp. But if I fail to hydrate properly in the days before cramping can easily be an issue.

The liter of water 30 mins before makes a very little difference to whether or not you will cramp. Try upping your overall H20 consumption throughout your day and lifestyle and I bet you'll be fine.

Also, the up-hill portions of your trails you are probably running on your toes, which is great if you want a tight quad and a faster pace. But powering off your heel will remove some strain from your calve and possibly rid you of your cramps. Also give you a firmer ass
devil.gif

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
When you say a tank, is that a bad thing?

I will not be attempting a race untill the fall, so speed is not something I have been working on.
More, I have been getting comfortable with my stride and my pace is slow and sustainable (well under say 8 miles).

I will try all three and have my stride evaluated at a running store. Just curious if anyone here uses one of these shoes.

Hi can you PM me back? Thanks, that'd be great.

jwied82

Reaction score
Ran the mlb all-star weekend 5k this morning in 17:03. It was the largest 5k ive ever done, something like 5 or 6 thousand participants.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
8.74 today, was gonna stay in and relax, but its so damn gorgeous out. After 6 miles I took a little siesta on a bench by the water...ahhhhh. Laying out on a man made jetty....lovely.
IMG_0349.jpg
The home stretch, Narrows Botanical Gardens.
IMG_0351.jpg

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hardly ever run, but went three miles last night on a dirt trail next to the river... used my Vibram Five-Fingers, love them. They've changed my strike and I now run on my toes. Feels much better and I can go much further. No pain. Need to find a longer off-road trail near my house as this was a there-and-back.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emosstheboss
And those provide enough support?
Yes, they do, to the extent that I feel I need any. I am not a professional nor do I really care about the debate, but I think there are many strong arguments to be made in favour of running with less support.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads