• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Had my first really scary car interaction today: as I passed through an intersection the oncoming car abruptly turned left directly into my path without signaling. I managed to dodge him but that put me on a collision course with a lamppost - I slammed on the brakes and managed to thread the needle between the lamp and a bunch of newspaper boxes. I hit the curb and got a dented rim and a pinch flat, but it could have been a helluva lot worse.

Motherfucker who cut me off was headed to the weed dispensary up the block - at 9 am on a Sunday. Weed kills, kids!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.2 miles this morning at a 7:28/mile pace. The wind was at my back for the first 2+ miles and I started off great and averaged about 7:20 for the first two miles (I can almost never get that fast for my first two miles this early in the morning). I was headed into a pretty stiff wind though for miles 4-6 and it slowed me down enough that I missed a PR. Mile 4 was also my slowest, not only was the wind dragging me down, but I slowed down a bit to look at the bubbles somebody had dumped in the fountain downtown...

I've wanted to dump a bunch of sudsy dish soap in a fountain to make a ton of bubbles ever since I saw Joey Lawrence get in trouble for doing that on an episode of Gimme a Break! back in the '80s. We've got a perfect fountain for it in our downtown. A couple times this summer I ran through the park with the fountain early in the morning and saw the remnants of some suds in the park. This morning I ran through around 6:30 and somebody must have dumped the soap in just a bit prior. There were huge balls of suds rolling through downtown like tumbleweeds and when I got to the center of the park, the bubbles were literally about 10' high and at least 20' deep from the fountain in some spots. :crackup:

I was mad at myself for not running with my phone this morning to get some pictures so I raced the final couple miles home, grabbed my phone and jumped in my Jeep. Unfortunately, by the time I got there, some killjoy from the city had come by and shut off the water in the fountain so most of the (good, clean) fun was over. ?

120113925_10104305009234166_1909263357028002647_n.jpg

120199690_10104305009304026_4654462572922345154_n.jpg

I first encountered a couple balls of suds like the one below about 3 blocks from the park. It was still dark out and a couple balls of suds rolled past about 40 yards ahead of me and at first I thought it was two really big possums.

120491262_10104305009289056_6051039089696406191_n.jpg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my first really scary car interaction today: as I passed through an intersection the oncoming car abruptly turned left directly into my path without signaling. I managed to dodge him but that put me on a collision course with a lamppost - I slammed on the brakes and managed to thread the needle between the lamp and a bunch of newspaper boxes. I hit the curb and got a dented rim and a pinch flat, but it could have been a helluva lot worse.

Motherfucker who cut me off was headed to the weed dispensary up the block - at 9 am on a Sunday. Weed kills, kids!

That's certainly a ****** driver, but weed is not to blame. Glad you're okay.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
That's certainly a ****** driver, but weed is not to blame. Glad you're okay.

NGL I know where he was going because it’s my favorite dispensary

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same 1.4km XC laps today, but I did 6 rather than 4, so a total of 8.4km (5 1/4 miles), in 38:08, so a slightly faster pace overall than the other day: 4:32/km (7:17/mile).

But I've been reminded that running XC like this is very different from road running. You're using a lot more muscles in different ways as you land at weird angles and unpredictable heights, have to duck under branches and avoid thorns and so on. My legs have developed some pain in places I haven't felt hurting for a long time. So I think I'm going to keep doing this. This is basically hill reps + stability training, and also if I am going to do some more serious trail running next year, I need to get away from just 'easy' road running.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I occasionally mix in stuff like Carioca steps or running uphill backwards to switch up the muscles getting used and add some balance and coordination practice. It breaks up the routine, too.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
7 miles tonight in the reverse direction I normally run. Always amazed to recognize new things just by reversing direction.

For a moment I was like, “7 miles, backwards? Hardcore!”

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles tonight in the reverse direction I normally run. Always amazed to recognize new things just by reversing direction.

This is so true - there's a stretch of road nearby that I almost always used to run back home along, and there was something I used to hate about it, and then I started doing a route that went the other way and it was a revelation: suddenly it was as if it was a completely new landscape.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is so true - there's a stretch of road nearby that I almost always used to run back home along, and there was something I used to hate about it, and then I started doing a route that went the other way and it was a revelation: suddenly it was as if it was a completely new landscape.
It's like when I normally run counterclockwise on the track and then run clockwise the next day. Jogging doesn't really change but doing sprints on the curves going the opposite direction messes up my stride.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12.38 miles this morning at an 8:18/mile pace. The weather was great and I shaved 7 seconds off of my 10 mile PR (that I had just set about 10 days ago). Had I been paying attention when I got back home I would have noticed I was about 60 meters from 20k and I would have gone that little bit extra distance. I would have shaved almost 2 minutes off of my 20k PR.

Today's run was a little bit of an adventure in that I picked an arterial side street and decided to run on it as far south as it goes. Looking at the map of my run afterwards, I realize I could have crossed the freeway and gone about another mile on that road. I would have had to mosey around through a sub I'm not familiar with to get back to where the road in question starts up again. I may try to go the rest of the way on a run this weekend.

I've been running the same 10k loop from my house at least once a week for years. In all that time I think I ran it in the same direction every single time until once this past spring when I decided to make a conscious effort to go out my door and turn right onto the loop instead of turning left. It was like a whole new world! lol

I still primarily run it in the direction I had been for years but now I make sure to get out there and run it in that "reverse" direction at least every other week or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads