• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How important is it to you? Nice but generic fabric vs. Loro Piana, Cerruti, Zegna,

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As we look ahead to the production of our tailored clothing for our 2009 collection, we were wondering: Is it very important to you gentleman - the fabric mills from which clothing is made? Obviously there are premiums for fabrics from Loro Piana, Reda, Guabello, Cerruti, etc. Does it make a big difference to you (are you drawn to the name/quality that these premium mills represent) or are you equally content with a very fine quality fabric that does not have the same brand recognition?

We look forward to your comments.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't make that much of a difference to me. Most of suits I would not be to sure who made the cloth for anyways save for something like a Zegna etc. If the fabric was of a quality that was worth of the price then I am fine with it unlike some chinese S150 that feels like sand paper...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
are buyers really conscious about the exclusivity of the fabrics of the top brands?

sm332

Reaction score
I for one like to see a branded fabric but truth be told I am not discerning enough to be able to tell the difference between a HQ no-name fabric brand from a branded one.

I suspect many folks are in my boat so as long as you have confidence in the fabric and quality it represents I dont foresee it being a big issue.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about fit than fabric. Only FNB is going to notice the fabric selection; anyone can tell that the fit's off.

Gherkins

Reaction score
I did get a couple of suits and jackets from unknown sources and am less than impressed. Compared to the suits made from Loro Piana, Zegna and Cerrutti I got from the same tailor they were considerably cheaper but will not be worn too often. So for me it is really important. Not because of the names but because of the qualities.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better to have actual quality than some name. BTW Loro Piana suitings are usually pretty poor compared to other vendors. Zegna is all over the board quality-wise but some of the other Biella mills turn out consistently good stuff.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't imagine assigning any importance to the brand of a fabric. I suppose if it's a genuine (reliable) indicator of quality then it means something, but if the no-brand equivalent is high quality too, then what difference does it make?

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me play devil's advocate. In general, it looks stupid to say that fabric brand is very important, and is more important than its actual quality. In reality, because of the nature of online purchasing (one can not feel and touch), I found myself would cling to relying on the brand of the fabric. That way, at least I would know the fabric is somewhat decent. Or unless I buy Borrelli, Isaia, and etc, that I can safely assume the manufacturers wouldn't cut corners on the fabrics.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
Let me play devil's advocate. In general, it looks stupid to say that fabric brand is very important, and is more important than its actual quality. In reality, because of the nature of online purchasing (one can not feel and touch), I found myself would cling to relying on the brand of the fabric. That way, at least I would know the fabric is somewhat decent. Or unless I buy Borrelli, Isaia, and etc, that I can safely assume the manufacturers wouldn't cut corners on the fabrics.

That's the rub. If buying from someplace online, then I have no way to evaluate the quality of the fabric other than maybe guess from how it looks in a photo, or by relying on brand name. Unless of course you're willing to send out swatches to people.
bigstar[1].gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator

Zegna, Scabal, Loro Piana or Cerruti would be a HUGE turn off.

why is that so?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
why is that so?

I find that they are poor value, of variable quality, and their designs sometimes of questionable taste. They lack the solidity and body I demand from a cloth, and are too lightly woven with rather loose weave settings to give them a gutless fluffiness to seduce the unwary who ooh and aah at such flimsiness, mistaking it for luxury.

I never touch their offerings. Ever.

Matt B

Reaction score
The quality of the fabric would be the selling feature, regardless of its provenance.

M

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
It wouldn't make that much of a difference to me. Most of suits I would not be to sure who made the cloth for anyways save for something like a Zegna etc. If the fabric was of a quality that was worth of the price then I am fine with it unlike some chinese S150 that feels like sand paper...

I pretty much feel the same way. Besides, these days there are so many poorly made fused suits on the market boasting Zegna and Loro Piana fabrics, but look and feel terrible. Most of them probably aren't even real LP or Zegna fabric anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads