• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How exactly do I measure myself armpit to armpit?

aprogressivone

Reaction score
I have question on how exactly to measure my armpit to armpit size. Naturally with clothes this is self explanatory but on my body I have a few questions. Do I simply measure straight across my chest to where my armpit starts or does the tape measure actually needs to go underneath my arms some into the armpit area? Also it is safe to safe that with a small/high armhole jacket, chest size can be found by doubling the armpit size? Basically I messed up my sizing on a black scissors jacket by taking wrong measurements. I plan on selling the jacket and ordering another one.

choowy

Reaction score
You'll find the easiest (and most accurate) way to work out your armpit-to-armpit measurement is to simply measure a shirt or jacket that already fits you well.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Method A: Take a well-fitting shirt and use its measurements
Method B (with 2nd person): Have someone take a tape measure and wrap it around your chest straight across and right under the armpits while your hands are at your sides. Divide this measurement in half
Method C (alone): Take tape measure and wrap it around your chest as high as you can in the armpit area and as straight as you can across. Divide measurement by 2.

If you want to be really precise, go to a tailor and ask them to take your measurements (even a neighborhood alterations tailor should be able to do this if they're competent, if you are super crazy about it you can go to a bespoke tailor and ask them to do it but expect to pay more for the service) for a small fee.

PS: if you don't have an actual tape measure you could just use a string/cord/whatever thing of length and then measure that

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Account for about 1/2 inch both sides due to armpit hair (depending on how much you manscape).

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
PS: if you don't have an actual tape measure you could just use a string/cord/whatever thing of length and then measure that

I would not recommend using string or cord. It can stretch during measurement which would skew the true measurement. Also, if using string to measure your chest, it can "sink" into your skin as you wrap it around your body, which would also give an inaccurate measurement. I saying all this from first hand experience.
smile.gif

The best thing to use is tailor's measuring tape which can be purchased just about anywhere for less than $1.00 I think every clothing geek should have one.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I eat them. Measuring myself always makes me hungry.

srsly.

spreadcollar

Reaction score
Use a measuring tape, stand up straight, inhale, take the tape around the widest part of your chest - that's your chest measurement. OR measure shirts/jackets you have that fit well in the chest - close up the front, have the material sit flat, and measure underarm to underarm. Just don't measure yourself pit to pit (whereas the widest part of your chest can be larger than around your underarms, a garment's chest is not bigger than its pit to pit - the pit to pit of a garment should be the widest part of the garment's chest).

Your chest size is generally your suit size. +2" from that pit to pit is a slim fit chest. less tolerance than that can be tight and/or uncomfortable.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How does one measure dick size? Deflated or fully inflated? And where does one begin? Is this something one needs help with from someone else? Or is it possible to get an accurate measurement on one's own?

And what does one then do with this information?

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
My experience is that inhaling will give you an inflated chest measurement (larger than it actually is).

what happens when you buy clothes and can't breathe?

GHo

Reaction score
when i'm measuring a suit pit to pit, so I measure from the very outside point while it's laying flat or do i measure from the seam of the pit (which is about an inch and a half in from the outside of the suit laying flat?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads