• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does one work 50+ hours a week?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Again, I think this is a "to each their own" moment. I feel sorry for those of you who don't love your work. I would rather be at work than on vacation.

I would rather be traveling than working. But if the vacation doesn't involve traveling, I'd definitely rather be at work.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can the people that spend 3 hours a workday on style forvm be exiled from this threak?

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Most in this thread are depressing, get a life. In other news, I was supposed to work today (boss wants us to work 7 days a week...don't get paid enough for that) and I didn't show up. I'm watching the baseball game instead. Getting bitched at tomorrow and everyone being crazy passive aggressive will be worth it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's very funny how one group of people are, "live and let live" and another group of people are supercilious, condescending, and absolutely sure their choices are the correct ones. I think all the judgmentalism is cover for something. It's also funny how that same group really doesn't listen to the first group and just pontificates as to how they are sure the other group's lives are.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A lot of our European 'cousins' are also ************ because the "cushy" lifestyles they're able to 'afford' have been subsidized by unsustainable levels of government debt.
''

The Anglosphere extends beyond the US and the UK. Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia also are in there. 3 of those 4 are quite well. Further, I find it rather rich than any American can chastise Europeans over unsustainable government debt.

Which ones are doing "quite well" please and outline the conditions that led you to this conclusion.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's very funny how one group of people are, "live and let live" and another group of people are supercilious, condescending, and absolutely sure their choices are the correct ones. I think all the judgmentalism is cover for something. It's also funny how that same group really doesn't listen to the first group and just pontificates as to how they are sure the other group's lives are.

Correct.

Frankly if you want to work 200 hours a week, then feel free. If you want to work 35 hours per week, then fine. The only "wrong" thing is to tell the other person who wrong they are simply because they don't subscribe to your ethos. That makes you a ****.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm- I think the message in this thread can be easily explained by the smash hit Family Man starring Nick Cage. Your only two options in life are work 100-hour weeks now and 'invest' in your career or be 'poor' when you're old. There's gotta be somewhere in the middle. *shrug*

My dad worked very long hours and months in as a self-employed tradesman and has one foot in the grave. Two heart attacks at 53 and regrets not spending more time at home.

It could involve your job, too though. And your personality. Sometimes I'll put in a 60 hour week, sometimes I'll put in a 40 hour week. Depends on what's going on at work and what's going on with my personal life at the time. I tend to favour work right now but that's because it's just my wife and I. She's pretty busy with her job too. I'm sure when I go back for my masters or if she gets pregnant things would change one way or another. Balance.

I know people who put in VERY long hours at work, but while they're there they enjoy themselves and don't consider it as this stressful, tedious place to be. They're happier than the people who are the first to leave after the bell and hate what they do.

To Have Succeeded
by Ralph Waldo Emerson

To laugh often and love much:
To win respect of intelligent people And the affection of children;
To earn the approbation of honest critics And endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To give one’s self;
To leave the world a little better, Whether by a healthy child,
A garden patch,
Or redeemed social condition;
To have played and laughed with enthusiasm And sung with exultation;
To know even one life has breathed easier Because you have lived...
This is to have succeeded.​

:)

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A few of us have mentioned some sort of balance but it doesn't seem to take in regards to the conversation.

I work to fund my life. I do not live to work nor do I work just enough to get by. I also would rather be at home or out with friends vs. at work. I crave my vacations and try to take at least one three or four day weekend a month and two two week vacations a year. That said I know I will also have several weeks in the year when I pull 70+ hours and my usual work week is going to be about 50 hours.

I say work as much or as little as you want. We all make choices on how to run our lives and each choice has a consequence. I still maintain there are many versions of "sad" and would always pick one of the versions that do not include poverty or financial distress.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few of us have mentioned some sort of balance but it doesn't seem to take in regards to the conversation.
I work to fund my life. I do not live to work nor do I work just enough to get by. I also would rather be at home or out with friends vs. at work. I crave my vacations and try to take at least one three or four day weekend a month and two two week vacations a year. That said I know I will also have several weeks in the year when I pull 70+ hours and my usual work week is going to be about 50 hours.
I say work as much or as little as you want. We all make choices on how to run our lives and each choice has a consequence. I still maintain there are many versions of "sad" and would always pick one of the versions that do not include poverty or financial distress.

Does that include the stat holidays or just 'day's off''?

Happy Thanksgiving, BTW.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just days off.

Happy TG to you too. I'll be at work tomorrow, of course. :laugh:

Dynamik

Reaction score
Interesting viewpoints gathered while reading through this thread while waiting on a sign off at work... Someone mentioned, quite astutely, the perspective one gains with extensive experience. I also noticed that a lot of the guys who "invested" time early in their careers consider themselves to be reaping the rewards - setting their own schedule and working on their terms, be it as independent business owners or managers. My view is that this combination of personal ambition, vision for where you want to (or can, realistically) be, and just plain practice, are all factors that contribute to put you in that space. Simply putting hours in does not equal useful work and could result in simply wasted energy, to use a physics analogy. Understanding everyone perceives their life's work and the sum of their existence differently, it is perhaps the achievement of that ambition or goal within realistic expectations that defines what ultimately was or wasn't a good use of their initial, hard working investment. If that hard work was pleasant factors to some degree, all the better for the right side of that equation.

Also part of it was read on the can. Pass the Chipotleaway.

aldenfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tourangh
Get a summer job, it helps transition if you really are having that hard of a time grasping the idea of working.

Are you talking about an internship, or just any job? I work 24 hours a week year-round, while going to school full-time. That being said, I enjoy the work and school.

My original question should read "How do people work 50+ hours a week doing something they hate." I can only assume the answer is, "they don't." Every CPA I've talked to says they love the job, but then again, those who hated the job are probably no longer CPA's.

You'd be surprised what you can live through.

derricksmiith

Reaction score

This is a common problem in the world. I believe there are two kinds of people in the world: those who want to be left alone and those that won't leave them alone. Which one are you?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

This is a common problem in the world. I believe there are two kinds of people in the world: those who want to be left alone and those that won't leave them alone. Which one are you?

QFI.
You do realize (that's rhetorical since you clearly don't) that you've self-identified via this post?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads