• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does one work 50+ hours a week?

tj100

Reaction score

Why is it so hard to understand that people choose this life - at least for a period of time? Do you guys not think that these kids working until 2am on Wall St could get those 9 to 5 jobs with a better work/life balance? It's a choice that people make to achieve goals they've created for themselves - goals that are different for each of us, but clearly for those who work 80 hours a week, the goal is not to achieve "a decent work/life balance" on Day 1.

It's interesting, I busted ****** for 10 years (4 in banking, 6 in private equity) and there was always a group of people around (both family and friends) asking "why do you work so hard? / you have no work-life balance" or my personal favorite "on an hourly basis, I make more as a bartender than you do!"

Now we're in our early/mid 30's, and these same people seem perplexed / amazed: "it's sooo hard to save up for a down payment on a house, you're sooo lucky that you could do it" or "how do you manage the cost of day care", etc. etc.

I stepped off that rat race for a corporate job where I make just as much $$$ (without some of the upside), and work somewhere in the 50 hours a week neighborhood, but with a ton of flexibility. Again, from my friends perspective, I'm "sooo lucky" that I got this job.

It's not F*ing luck. My 20s basically did not exist. I sold them to set myself up for the rest of my life. It was hard, it was amazing experience, and I could not do it forever. It's not the path for everybody, but it's a path, and I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I get that people want different things out of life but I find it hard to believe that those who sell their early years really enjoy life without regrets once their ship comes in.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly a misunderstanding here that people who take these jobs do it only for the financial security. They do it for a multitude of reasons, sometimes perception-based, generally because they have their eye on a career path that starts that way, and often because they enjoy the topic/backdrop of their work more than other things they've been exposed to. There are also many entry level professions in arts, entertainment, music, etc... where people work like dogs, are on call day and night and get paid little to nothing - how does one explain that? Because they feel it will/may lead them to a career they aspire to.

Last edited:

tj100

Reaction score

Hey, I get that people want different things out of life but I find it hard to believe that those who sell their early years really enjoy life without regrets once their ship comes in.

I have not one regret.

My 20s were pretty awesome, especially the tail end when I had no obligations and more income than I had time to spend it. I really think that's the crux of it. It was hard, but it was fun. My fondest career memories are being in the office at 3:00am, working as a team to get something out for a breakfast meeting. I really enjoyed it. I couldn't do it now that I'm married with kids, but when I was 23? It was a lot of fun.

Am I going to look back someday and say: "boy, I wish I had smelled the roses back then?" Maybe. But I don't see it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really think that people who have not been in the office late at night when the senior guys are gone understand the bonding and camaraderie that happens when a bunch of 20-something are working to get something done, while taking breaks to throw the football down the floor or eat cold pizza at 3am. It's a mix of college dorm and corporate life. Sure, it's hard as well, but it's not all that bad.

tj100

Reaction score

I don't really think that people who have not been in the office late at night when the senior guys are gone understand the bonding and camaraderie that happens when a bunch of 20-something are working to get something done, while taking breaks to throw the football down the floor or eat cold pizza at 3am. It's a mix of college dorm and corporate life. Sure, it's hard as well, but it's not all that bad.

And that's before you get out on the road for client visits with three other 24 year olds and a partner escaping his numbing life and signing the expense approvals.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clearly a misunderstanding here that people who take these jobs do it only for the financial security. They do it for a multitude of reasons, sometimes perception-based, generally because they have their eye on a career path that starts that way, and often because they enjoy the topic/backdrop of their work more than other things they've been exposed to. There are also many entry level professions in arts, entertainment, music, etc... where people work like dogs, are on call day and night and get paid little to nothing - how does one explain that? Because they feel it will/may lead them to a career they aspire to.

I also categorically lump those record crate carriers and gofers in with the lot I spoke of earlier :)

Funny, we did the same things, just on the block in street clothes :)

But I see what you mean, there is definitely a different feel especially in the city when you are among a few in the office at night. The city is so different then, especially downtown. I have experienced both but prefer not having to break up the horseplay to get back to work. Even if they did spring for dinner and send me home in a black car.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But N., you aren't getting paid while you fool around with your friends "on the block in street clothes."

The big point is that there are different ways to achieve a happy work-life balance over one's lifetime. Some of us may prefer to front-load the "work." This tends to result in greater financial reward, thus more "life" later on.

Moreover, as G. points out, people often wrongly assume the only reason you'd want to do something like investment banking is to make money. Yes, the financial reward is a significant component, but if you do not enjoy the work to some degree and don't appreciate the value of what you're contributing to society, no amount of money can keep you slaving away through your 20's and early 30's.

Last edited:

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be clear, I have no issue with 50 or 60 hour weeks. I've done plenty of those and they were no big deal. These 100 hour weeks, though, are just insane to me. You never get your youth back.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few high school friends who went to business school (while I pursued journalism), became chartered accountants, then CFAs. By their early 30s they were portfolio analysts, then managers. One was downsized a few years back and I haven't heard from him since. I met another one for drinks last year and he looked terrible: at least 100 lbs over his high school weight, drinking too much, and depressed as hell. He confided in me that he never gets to see his kids, and his wife (a lawyer who works about 70-80 a week herself) seemed increasing distant and even hostile towards him. Don't know how much he makes, but I'd guess about $250,000 to $350,000 a year?

Anyway, so not worth it for me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

To be clear, I have no issue with 50 or 60 hour weeks. I've done plenty of those and they were no big deal. These 100 hour weeks, though, are just insane to me. You never get your youth back.

Why are your 20's more valuable than your 40's or 50's?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm already past my heyday. I was dirt poor in my heyday. Trust me, being older and having money is better.

Consider:

Luke 12:15-21

15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”
16 And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’
20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’
21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

Smite me now god. Big bolt lightning.
Damn..still here.

Pio, you're missing the point. Did the man do anything wrong?

Yeah, he did something wrong. Stupid to tear down perfectly good barns. He should have just build more or second stories. :teach:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads