• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does one make their tie do THIS?

atlsart

Reaction score
This gentleman appears quite frequently on The Sartorialist, and it seems as if all of his ties are sharing the same beautiful affect of bowing out right below the knot and dimples before falling to his shirt and waist. I am aware that a Snap Tab Collar will often create such an affect as this; however this gentleman does not appear to be wearing a Snap Tab Collar on this windsor or other extreme cutaways he typically wears. Therefore, I am left to believe it is a particular method of tying the tie, or even the tie itself which creates this very affect. It seems to me that not a single one of the 3 or 4 knots I have tried have created such an affect as this for me. So in this vain, PLEASE SOMEBODY FILL ME IN!

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atlsart
This gentleman appears quite frequently on The Sartorialist, and it seems as if all of his ties are sharing the same beautiful affect of bowing out right below the knot and dimples before falling to his shirt and waist. I am aware that a Snap Tab Collar will often create such an affect as this; however this gentleman does not appear to be wearing a Snap Tab Collar on this windsor or other extreme cutaways he typically wears. Therefore, I am left to believe it is a particular method of tying the tie, or even the tie itself which creates this very affect. It seems to me that not a single one of the 3 or 4 knots I have tried have created such an affect as this for me. So in this vain, PLEASE SOMEBODY FILL ME IN!

I use the Shelby-Pratt knot and it often sticks out more than "regular" knots, probably because of its twisting. With that said, I've never had it stick out that much. I would suspect that since the man knows his photo is about to be taken, he's pulled the tie out more than usual.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tiebar underneath the buttoning point of the coat.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie-agra.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Easy. It's the bulk in the tie which is achieved either by the weight of the silk/wool and/or from some additional lining. Bulkier ties enable you to produce a more sculptured knot and the pouter pigeon look this guy has achieved. To be fair I suspect his tie doesn't stay like that all day.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Tiebar underneath the buttoning point of the coat.
Yep. Easiest way.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try a four-in-hand (or Pratt) knot with a stiff-ish tie, and a deep dimple. I've had some success. The only certain and lasting method is using a tie bar/tack/pin.

senator1214

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atlsart

Mory is the Man No Doubt

I am usually able to achieve this effect with a high tight fitting collar. The higher the collar sits on the neck the more the tie will protrude. If you don't have the kind of shirt I mentioned but still want to see how the effect is created; (do this without a shirt on) Make what ever knot you prefer around your neck, however try to tighten the tie higher up on your neck next to your Adam's apple(Don't choke yourself). If the tie is tightened lower on your neck the will be no protrusion.

Ties with thicker silk or interlinings will also help. I too find the shelby-prat knot to work best as well, and depending on the tie, a four in hand

Perhaps others will have better Ideas

Good Luck

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Try a four-in-hand (or Pratt) knot with a stiff-ish tie, and a deep dimple. I've had some success. The only certain and lasting method is using a tie bar/tack/pin.

Just to add if you flip your tie backwards (think backward somersault) it could erect the tie knot.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I do to achieve this is to begin by tying the tie in whatever knot you want. Then just before you pull it completely tight (it should hang down a few inches), reach through the loop the tie forms in front of your neck and grab the blade of the tie from the back, pull up and through, then repeat or tighten. This creates a twist in the tie under the collar which keeps the knot angled out.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don`t think he using a tie bar, because it is not necessary at all. You just need reasonable space in between your collar, some height, and a nice tie. It helps if the tie material has some bite, rather than something smooth like silky prints, but even that doesn`t really matter.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
Massimo Bizzocchi ties have a button-hole on the loop that can be fastened to your shirt's third button which will create that same effect. I was skeptical, but it works quite well.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's probably the thickness/stiffness of the tie lining. Some ties can hold that shape very well because of the lining. I have found that to be the #1 cause.

atlsart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Try a four-in-hand (or Pratt) knot with a stiff-ish tie, and a deep dimple.

How have you had success effecting the dimple through tying a tie? I've always had to adjust the dimple by hand to achieve my desired result.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt