• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you wear a necktie as a belt?

Tom

Reaction score
There are better ways to attract attention. If you don't want to wear 'em around your neck, I say leave them in your closet. Remember "Chachi" from happy days? The tie around the waist is about as appealing as the bandana around the thigh.

-Tom

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no solids. they were striped, mostly 3 colors if i remember correctly. there were about 8-10 different patterns. lots of bright green, blue, some orange, some yellow, i think i saw a pinkish one...no muted colors, blacks/greys, no pastels. the one i had my eye on was a medium blue with white wide stripes and (i think) orange pinstripes. it would look great with both my navy and my chocolate brown blazers. i believe they are silk. they are at least silk-y. i didn't look at the tag. /andrew

Phil

Reaction score
One of my most cherished photos is of my grandfather, surfcasting out into the water on Block Island, in the 1950's. Hes shirtless, wearing a pair of army chinos (that he got courtesy of WWII), and a tie threaded through the pants loops as a belt. Hes got it knoted and hanging on the left side of his pants. And I have to say, he looked damn fine, and I am not saying that because hes my granddad. Just such a classic photo, so all-american. Some people can pull it off, some cant. I think the key is not having it look like an affectation. If you are all dressed up, and then decide to use a tie as a belt, it might not work. If you are hanging out, and it looks like you just grabbed a tie and used it as a belt, I think it comes across as total nonchalance, stylish but not giving a damn at the same time.

sleeper

Reaction score
I think this is only really appropriate for a gentleman if you are engaged in some form of sporting activity (e.g. the grandfather who was fishing). It looks just about OK with your white flannels while playing cricket, tennis, or croquet. Of course, it is advertising the fact that your trousers are too large, or that you can't afford a belt.

It may look good on women, but that doesn't mean that we men should try it. Last time I wore a Chanel two-piece in public, I was laughed out of my club.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
One of my most cherished photos is of my grandfather, surfcasting out into the water on Block Island, in the 1950's.  Hes shirtless, wearing a pair of army chinos (that he got courtesy of WWII), and a tie threaded through the pants loops as a belt.  Hes got it knoted and hanging on the left side of his pants.  And I have to say, he looked damn fine, and I am not saying that because hes my granddad.  Just such a classic photo, so all-american.
Please, scan it and post. I think we'd love to see it.

Phil

Reaction score
i would love to, but you are talking to someone who can barely turn on a computer. i dont have a scanner. can i take it to a kinkos and scan it?

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would love to, but you are talking to someone who can barely turn on a computer. Â i dont have a scanner. Â can i take it to a kinkos and scan it?
yes, i believe kinko's will do that for you. they'll probably put it on a cd. --- boy, we are an opinionated bunch here aren't we? how about some pictures to support our points of view? either gentlemen looking good with a tie belt, or gentlemen looking ridiculous with one. i have no opinion on the matter yet, so i don't have to post anything.
tounge.gif
/andrew

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
I know someone who wears skinny leather ties and looks good in them. The best I can manage is a knit-wool tie. Belt-ties are another matter though, I'm not sure they'd make an elegant knot.

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Arise, Old Thread...

A tie knot wouldn't be effective because it doesn't stand up to tension.

In karate, we mainly used a square knot for our belts, but they went around twice. I've just never seen a tie-belt in real life. If someone could post an example, even if it is Carson Kressley...

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always associated the "tie as belt" look with male prepsters. First mention of it I ever heard was in A Separate Peace by John Knowles. Phineas shows up to the headmaster's home for tea wearing the school tie as a belt. The headmaster was flustered but his wife thought it perfectly charming.

At any rate, this thread is the first time I've ever heard the look referred to as feminine.

I always wanted to try it myself but Eastern Europeans can rarely pass themselves off as entitled Northeastern preps
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads