Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How do you wear a necktie as a belt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JurassicJon, Sep 20, 2003.

1. JurassicJon

JurassicJon Active Member

I've seen this look several times and wouldn't mind trying it as I have a plethora of ties I never wear. Anyone know how to tie and/or wrap it? Any suggestions would be appreciated...thanks...

2. InfiniteSpree

InfiniteSpree Member

Hi

I just tie it like a tie. I tie it off center so it hangs down the right side, instead of hanging down the middle.

Ryan

3. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Or you can just tie a couple of knots in it, if you're not particularly attached to the tie in question. It also helps if it's a narrow (3 inches wide or less) tie, and it helps even more if you happen to be Fred Astaire. Â [​IMG]

4. Michael

Michael Senior member

I don't recommend this unless you're female. Hot female. And you're trapped in 6 months ago.

Wow that was superficially of me. nice.

5. scottmag

scottmag Well-Known Member

So this is a trend that's come and gone already and I haven't heard of it yet? Wow, I knew I was a little behind the times, but that's ridiculous.

Scott

6. InfiniteSpree

InfiniteSpree Member

If you grew up in Massachusetts, hung out with Kip, Cammie, and Kitty, and summered on the Cape, Nantucket, or the Vineyard, then the tie-as-belt is always en vogue.

It provides a nice change from grosgrain or J.Press belts with spouting whales, crossed racquets, or mallard heads.

I do agree, though, that it should be a tie you don't care about...they get pretty wrinkley around your waist.

Ryan

7. scottmag

scottmag Well-Known Member

OK, I finally saw this. Maybe I was more observant after reading about it here, but I saw a young woman at the mall wearing a blue and white striped tie as as belt. She had it threaded through a belt buckle in front. Interesting look.

Scott

8. Michael

Michael Senior member

:[​IMG]ulls out -every-single- hair::

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Tie as a belt? I did this in high school on non-uniform days when I forgot that it was a non-uniform day. Dumb-looking even back in the eighties.

These days, I only see this look being sported by corporate- goons-in-the-making-looking fratboy/jock/preppy types. Oh, did I just show bias?

10. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

I second LA Guy. The tie as a belt look is not the greatest look. If you are looking for a preppy look, perhaps a ribbon belt is more desirable. As with any look, if one goes overboard with the look, it just looks weird. So, in my opinion, just consider a ribbon belt. I dunno if you were looking to go for a prep look so this is just a small suggestion. Hope this helps...

-HitMan009

11. Michael

Michael Senior member

Ah yes, sweet sanity.

12. southerncollegeboy

southerncollegeboy Active Member

Isn't the tie as a belt an effeminate look?  I've only seen it on women. Is there a different way to wear it that I haven't seen in a J Crew catalog?

13. Kai

Kai Senior member

In my mind, the question isn't "how" but rather "why?"

Kai

14. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

RISE FROM THE DUST, YE HERETOFORE DECEASED THREAD OF YESTERYEAR.

in the for-what-it's-worth department: i visited j.crew today and saw the staff had bedecked several pairs of men's chinos on display with their (women's?) tie-belts. they were colorful, i thought. i had previously thought they were marketed to the women, judging by their latest catalog. however they had some in the belt rack beside the men's POS, so maybe they had a change of heart.

In addition they had some spiffy new pocket squares, very colorful with stripes, offered at $22US.

/andrew the necromancer. ('there are some who call me..."tim"...' - m.python)

15. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

Fred Astaire is well known for having used ties as belts. It's one of his signature looks.