1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How am I doing for a 16 year old?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mrshinyredplanet, May 18, 2011.

1. unjung

unjung Senior member

What's sad is that in my teens and early 20's, I would have agreed with you. Maturing was what made me realize I spent too much time doing the 'right' thing and nobody cared.

If I were doing it over again, I would have studied harder and had more superficial relationships. I thought I was above the 'game', but really, I just sucked at it. The 'game' never ends, even when you're married. In fact, its the same game but harder.

What? Please explain what this game is that I should still be playing. I was playing games up until recently and finally it occurred to me that every game ended in a stalemate. So I have stopped playing those games and I haven't felt better in my life.

2. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I think a lot of this depends on where you come from. Many of the posters in this thread are from the USA and seem to be saying that wearing even well fitting tailored clothing will make one a social pariah. I went to a public school in London and wearing beautiful sports coats and pocket hanks whilst doing all the usual hedonistic teenage activities became something of a trademark and the majority of my peers loved it.

+1. Public schooled boys in England often wear sports jackets and even casual suits in their spare time and when going out.

3. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

What? Please explain what this game is that I should still be playing. I was playing games up until recently and finally it occurred to me that every game ended in a stalemate. So I have stopped playing those games and I haven't felt better in my life.
    Vox is known to have once said, ""Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."

4. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

Get some new glasses. Those look like the type of frames a 16 year old would wear.

5. unjung

unjung Senior member

Vox is known to have once said, ""Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."

Whoever this Vox guy is, he sounds lame.

6. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Whoever this Vox guy is, he sounds lame.

Only in the head.

7. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Such a stupid little response. You do realise we don't all live in the smalltown USA world that you were brought up in? I can tell you the girls I went to school with didn't valorise branded Gucci because it's fucking tacky and tasteless. And girls definitely loved the guys that could pull off a good fitting suit (we favoured extremely close fitting suits at that age, because we were obsessed with looking 'big', i.e., muscular). How do you know the OP doesn't have to wear a suit at school? And besides, I didn't even say he should wear jackets and suits and brands like Kiton (I suggested he wear jeans); I just said he shouldn't be put off wanting to look stylish and valuing high quality. Why would you tell any 16 year old with an interest in style to pander do the desires of the dumb little bitches that only care about how many brands you're wearing & therefore how rich your dad is? I know girls I slept with and dated absolutely loved the way I dressed, and they continue to do so. So fuck you.
    el oh el FYI, I went to private school in downtown Toronto. And I almost quoted the second half of your original post to say "this part actually makes sense," but thank god I didn't.

8. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

What's sad is that in my teens and early 20's, I would have agreed with you. Maturing was what made me realize I spent too much time doing the 'right' thing and nobody cared.

If I were doing it over again, I would have studied harder and had more superficial relationships. I thought I was above the 'game', but really, I just sucked at it. The 'game' never ends, even when you're married. In fact, its the same game but harder.

This might be the greatest thing I have ever read. Not counting things I have written and then reread.
    agreed, very on point
    Yes. What's sad is that while growing up and growing old tend to coincide, they don't always.

9. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Not a huge amount of clothing, and what I have doesn't conform to the idealistic staples of a men's wardrobe. Navy blue blazer, size 36s. Picked up in a thrift store, only label says it is 120s, but the fabric definitely has a wool element to it. I'm not a fabric expert so I can't overly tell.... [​IMG] Pictured here, with a light blue solid, and probably the favourite tie of my rotation - [​IMG] - Take that, but replace the logos with small red, embroidered ducks. May be a tad novel, but it is fun and a bit quirky. I aplogise the the collar over collar faux pas, friend wanted it like that for his photo shoot. [​IMG] Probably my favourite shirt, a plum check, overtop on a black + gold striped blazer. Again, not a staple, and something I have now grown out of. Anyway, opinions, critique, comments. Also - QUESTION. Where would someone of a 5 11", 36 jacket, 31 pant buy a suit, also bearing in mind that I come from New Zealand. Any places on here? Any on the internet? I have a budget of the slim US $300. Yeah. Thrifty works well, because i'd be able to splurge a bit on accessories. Cheers, awaiting your opinion [​IMG]
    TBH I see nothing wrong with styles that the OP is wearing, well apart from some of the sizing may be bit off. Seeing a 16 year old and his pal wearing a collared shirt, blazer and tie looks good and is quite refreshing. Maybe he's been looking at how some Chinese teenagers dress? Certainly much better than those awful 'Abercrombie' hoodies, baseball caps and abysmal sagging distressed jeans that many of that age group seem to wear in the west.

10. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

el oh el FYI, I went to private school in downtown Toronto. And I almost quoted the second half of your original post to say "this part actually makes sense," but thank god I didn't.
    "Smalltown" means narrow-minded, it doesn't mean "a small town". All I was doing was encouraging a 16 y/o to continue dressing well & wearing what he enjoys, and not just look like shit just to fit in. From what I've heard Toronto is a pretty forward place, where the kids like to dress interestingly, so I'm surprised you take such a bigoted approach to what teens should wear. I don't see what's so "heinous" (you need to look that up in a dictionary) or laughable about my comments. You're just being a prick for no reason.

11. O'Higgins

O'Higgins Well-Known Member

I see what kids in high school wear today. I think you are doing pretty well. If you want to dress better, go for it. [​IMG]

12. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

"Smalltown" means narrow-minded, it doesn't mean "a small town". All I was doing was encouraging a 16 y/o to continue dressing well & wearing what he enjoys, and not just look like shit just to fit in. From what I've heard Toronto is a pretty forward place, where the kids like to dress interestingly, so I'm surprised you take such a bigoted approach to what teens should wear. I don't see what's so "heinous" (you need to look that up in a dictionary) or laughable about my comments. You're just being a prick for no reason.
    “All I was doing was encouraging him to dress well and wear what he enjoys.” The only part of your post I responded to was the hilarious insult to any woman who endorses a mainstream brand. (You wrote “why would you shag a girl who’s dumb enough to like branded Gucci/Ralph?”) There is enough reflexive hatred of anything a non-SFer might have ever heard of on this forum, and that’s among men – women generally have different tastes than men, as has been thoroughly discussed. A lot of women love Gucci, and a lot of Gucci is really quite nice. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, a lot of women idolize brands (esp. denim brands) this forum absolutely hates -- and as a matter of fact, those are the majority of women, including a whole lot of intelligent and stylish individuals. If you only associate with women who essentially follow SF groupthink despite belonging to the opposite sex, good for you, that’s your prerogative. Why tell a teenager that any girl who likes brand X (or even branding) is stupid? How does that fit into your “wear what you like and feel good about it” advice? Now I’m “being a prick for no reason,” even though you’ve called me names and sworn at me, while all I did was point out that what you WROTE was idiotic (it was). “Heinous” is an easy word to use correctly – as I did – especially as an adverb, but you obviously haven’t the faintest clue what “bigoted” means since I haven’t actually told anyone what to wear (or not) in this thread.

13. TomAlso

TomAlso Active Member

TBH I see nothing wrong with styles that the OP is wearing, well apart from some of the sizing may be bit off. Seeing a 16 year old and his pal wearing a collared shirt, blazer and tie looks good and is quite refreshing. Maybe he's been looking at how some Chinese teenagers dress?

Certainly much better than those awful 'Abercrombie' hoodies, baseball caps and abysmal sagging distressed jeans that many of that age group seem to wear in the west.

Gotta agree with Mike. I don't know about the dressing code at his high school, but in any case blazer + shirt + tie is definitely better than hoodies, rapper or emo outfits and so on.

14. Barnabus

Barnabus Senior member

I don't know if i agree on dressing more down to fit in with the crowd and appeal to the girls at school. I recall a guy in the 8th grade who regularly wore dress shirts,dress trousers and dress shoes to class and he wasn't hurting with the girls for it.

Granted he wasn't physically ugly so that helped[​IMG] but that generally will determine more than anything if women are attracted to you or not.

15. Decades

Decades Member

I think these are good style for teenagers:
    [​IMG]
    Flickr 上 add911_11tumblr_lkmirppNqZ1qcq3ab

This photo is from a very well known style forum member (sorry for copying), all of his causal clothing are very well balance and suitable for men of all age, without looking too much

And at least follow that trend will increase your possibility to meet girls in your school like this:
    [​IMG]
    Flickr 上 add911_11tumblr_lgh65wn1tQ1qg9myeo1_500

Or if you are a fan of this type, the relevant style still helps:
    [​IMG]
    Flickr 上 add911_11Courtney-Cox2

Just trying to help!

So by this logic Morrissey should've been banging Playboy bunnies at the Mansion instead of crooning about being celibate and asexual?

16. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

To the OP, there is a lot of bad advice from people who are not high school students. I'm a senior who is about to graduate and even middle school now and middle school back when I was in it is already pretty different.

Dressing up or down has nothing to do with getting laid. I can think of 3 of the hottest girls in my school right now and I'll describe the guy they're fucking. One guy has worn the same outfit to every prom or school dance. An ill fitting black shirt, black dockers, black square toed shoes. Another one of these guys is a drug dealer who wears oversized white t-shirts, sags his jeans, and wears Jordans (and not the ones that guys on Hypebeast/Niketalk lust over). Another one is a basketball player who I am pretty good friends with. He wears athletic-inspired graphic t-shirts and wears inoffensive Levis and a pair of Nikes to school everyday.

Style has very little to do with getting girls. Every guy has his niche and every girl will have her type. It depends on where you go to school but there are a lot of girls who are into the whole Urban Outfitters aesthetic. They have tumblrs, and a lot of them love 500 Days of Summer. Girls do have an appreciation for nice clothes. Although I didn't win best dressed at my high school because my style is more on the subtle side, there are a lot of girls that tell me they like the way I dress, and some of them are pretty attractive. They tend to be the artsier fashiony girls rather than the girls that wear Juicy sweatpants, and they're not the same type of girl that say "nice tie" to guys who wear a bright pink shiny skinny tie. When I was dating my ex-girlfriend, I went on her laptop and I was pleasantly surprised to see that The Sartorialist was on her bookmarks.

It really just depends on what type of girl you are looking for. Some girls go for the athletes, some girls you can impress by dressing well. For some girls, being a drug dealer goes a long way for them.

How you dress should be the least of your problems if you want to get girls, especially in high school. Girls do not give a shit on how many buttons you button on a suit and most of them don't care that your shirt collar is way too big. A few years ago, I was one of the first people to wear boat shoes to school. People asked me why I was wearing 'grandpa shoes'. Today, a lot of the guys who have reputations of being well dressed are wearing boat shoes as well, and when I broke my boat shoes out again for the spring, I had a bunch of compliments for the same pair of Sperrys.

Since you WANT to start dressing well and more mature, then do it, but do it right. Lurking styleforum is a great way. Read different threads, and if you don't think a certain thing is your aesthetic, then don't force it.

17. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    ^ I learned a lot from this.

18. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Also, I'm not saying I know how to get girls but I just wanted to say this forum's assumption of how high school girls think is really off. It's ridiculous to say that dressing in Abecrombie would help you get girls, and since OP is already someone who looks like he's stayed away from these so called high school brands, it's hard for him to go back. When I had to wash my raw denim the first time and I didn't have any other jeans except for my Levis 569 that I bought pre-SF, it was almost painful to look at myself in the mirror.

19. blahman

blahman Senior member

you are still young , you should loosen up a bit

this is more appropriate for your age

[​IMG]

I <3 you hermes man! You always deliver when required!

20. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Looks too uptight mate. Yeah you might get a few chicks that are &quot;avant-garde&quot; but your style is far from alpha as fuck given your age. Seriously you might be percieved as a uptight twat.