• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How am I doing for a 16 year old?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
What's sad is that in my teens and early 20's, I would have agreed with you. Maturing was what made me realize I spent too much time doing the 'right' thing and nobody cared.

If I were doing it over again, I would have studied harder and had more superficial relationships. I thought I was above the 'game', but really, I just sucked at it. The 'game' never ends, even when you're married. In fact, its the same game but harder.

What? Please explain what this game is that I should still be playing. I was playing games up until recently and finally it occurred to me that every game ended in a stalemate. So I have stopped playing those games and I haven't felt better in my life.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishLapel
I think a lot of this depends on where you come from. Many of the posters in this thread are from the USA and seem to be saying that wearing even well fitting tailored clothing will make one a social pariah. I went to a public school in London and wearing beautiful sports coats and pocket hanks whilst doing all the usual hedonistic teenage activities became something of a trademark and the majority of my peers loved it.

+1. Public schooled boys in England often wear sports jackets and even casual suits in their spare time and when going out.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
What? Please explain what this game is that I should still be playing. I was playing games up until recently and finally it occurred to me that every game ended in a stalemate. So I have stopped playing those games and I haven't felt better in my life.
Vox is known to have once said, ""Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Vox is known to have once said, ""Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."

Whoever this Vox guy is, he sounds lame.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Whoever this Vox guy is, he sounds lame.

Only in the head.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
Such a stupid little response. You do realise we don't all live in the smalltown USA world that you were brought up in? I can tell you the girls I went to school with didn't valorise branded Gucci because it's ******* tacky and tasteless. And girls definitely loved the guys that could pull off a good fitting suit (we favoured extremely close fitting suits at that age, because we were obsessed with looking 'big', i.e., muscular). How do you know the OP doesn't have to wear a suit at school? And besides, I didn't even say he should wear jackets and suits and brands like Kiton (I suggested he wear jeans); I just said he shouldn't be put off wanting to look stylish and valuing high quality. Why would you tell any 16 year old with an interest in style to pander do the desires of the dumb little bitches that only care about how many brands you're wearing & therefore how rich your dad is? I know girls I slept with and dated absolutely loved the way I dressed, and they continue to do so. So **** you.
el oh el FYI, I went to private school in downtown Toronto. And I almost quoted the second half of your original post to say "this part actually makes sense," but thank god I didn't.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
What's sad is that in my teens and early 20's, I would have agreed with you. Maturing was what made me realize I spent too much time doing the 'right' thing and nobody cared.

If I were doing it over again, I would have studied harder and had more superficial relationships. I thought I was above the 'game', but really, I just sucked at it. The 'game' never ends, even when you're married. In fact, its the same game but harder.

Originally Posted by acridsheep
This might be the greatest thing I have ever read. Not counting things I have written and then reread.
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
agreed, very on point
Yes. What's sad is that while growing up and growing old tend to coincide, they don't always.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mrshinyredplanet
Not a huge amount of clothing, and what I have doesn't conform to the idealistic staples of a men's wardrobe. Navy blue blazer, size 36s. Picked up in a thrift store, only label says it is 120s, but the fabric definitely has a wool element to it. I'm not a fabric expert so I can't overly tell....
Tuk5o.jpg
Pictured here, with a light blue solid, and probably the favourite tie of my rotation -
pPOLO2-9883634_lifestyle_v360x480.jpg
- Take that, but replace the logos with small red, embroidered ducks. May be a tad novel, but it is fun and a bit quirky. I aplogise the the collar over collar faux pas, friend wanted it like that for his photo shoot.
189581_1585600883414_1337539685_1311576_8219450_n.jpg
Probably my favourite shirt, a plum check, overtop on a black + gold striped blazer. Again, not a staple, and something I have now grown out of. Anyway, opinions, critique, comments. Also - QUESTION. Where would someone of a 5 11", 36 jacket, 31 pant buy a suit, also bearing in mind that I come from New Zealand. Any places on here? Any on the internet? I have a budget of the slim US $300. Yeah. Thrifty works well, because i'd be able to splurge a bit on accessories. Cheers, awaiting your opinion
smile.gif

TBH I see nothing wrong with styles that the OP is wearing, well apart from some of the sizing may be bit off. Seeing a 16 year old and his pal wearing a collared shirt, blazer and tie looks good and is quite refreshing. Maybe he's been looking at how some Chinese teenagers dress? Certainly much better than those awful 'Abercrombie' hoodies, baseball caps and abysmal sagging distressed jeans that many of that age group seem to wear in the west.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
el oh el FYI, I went to private school in downtown Toronto. And I almost quoted the second half of your original post to say "this part actually makes sense," but thank god I didn't.
"Smalltown" means narrow-minded, it doesn't mean "a small town". All I was doing was encouraging a 16 y/o to continue dressing well & wearing what he enjoys, and not just look like **** just to fit in. From what I've heard Toronto is a pretty forward place, where the kids like to dress interestingly, so I'm surprised you take such a bigoted approach to what teens should wear. I don't see what's so "heinous" (you need to look that up in a dictionary) or laughable about my comments. You're just being a prick for no reason.

O'Higgins

Reaction score
I see what kids in high school wear today. I think you are doing pretty well. If you want to dress better, go for it.
fistbump.gif

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
"Smalltown" means narrow-minded, it doesn't mean "a small town". All I was doing was encouraging a 16 y/o to continue dressing well & wearing what he enjoys, and not just look like **** just to fit in. From what I've heard Toronto is a pretty forward place, where the kids like to dress interestingly, so I'm surprised you take such a bigoted approach to what teens should wear. I don't see what's so "heinous" (you need to look that up in a dictionary) or laughable about my comments. You're just being a prick for no reason.
“All I was doing was encouraging him to dress well and wear what he enjoys.” The only part of your post I responded to was the hilarious insult to any woman who endorses a mainstream brand. (You wrote “why would you shag a girl who’s dumb enough to like branded Gucci/Ralph?”) There is enough reflexive hatred of anything a non-SFer might have ever heard of on this forum, and that’s among men – women generally have different tastes than men, as has been thoroughly discussed. A lot of women love Gucci, and a lot of Gucci is really quite nice. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, a lot of women idolize brands (esp. denim brands) this forum absolutely hates -- and as a matter of fact, those are the majority of women, including a whole lot of intelligent and stylish individuals. If you only associate with women who essentially follow SF groupthink despite belonging to the opposite sex, good for you, that’s your prerogative. Why tell a teenager that any girl who likes brand X (or even branding) is stupid? How does that fit into your “wear what you like and feel good about it” advice? Now I’m “being a prick for no reason,” even though you’ve called me names and sworn at me, while all I did was point out that what you WROTE was idiotic (it was). “Heinous” is an easy word to use correctly – as I did – especially as an adverb, but you obviously haven’t the faintest clue what “bigoted” means since I haven’t actually told anyone what to wear (or not) in this thread.

TomAlso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
TBH I see nothing wrong with styles that the OP is wearing, well apart from some of the sizing may be bit off. Seeing a 16 year old and his pal wearing a collared shirt, blazer and tie looks good and is quite refreshing. Maybe he's been looking at how some Chinese teenagers dress?

Certainly much better than those awful 'Abercrombie' hoodies, baseball caps and abysmal sagging distressed jeans that many of that age group seem to wear in the west.

Gotta agree with Mike. I don't know about the dressing code at his high school, but in any case blazer + shirt + tie is definitely better than hoodies, rapper or emo outfits and so on.

Barnabus

Reaction score
I don't know if i agree on dressing more down to fit in with the crowd and appeal to the girls at school. I recall a guy in the 8th grade who regularly wore dress shirts,dress trousers and dress shoes to class and he wasn't hurting with the girls for it.

Granted he wasn't physically ugly so that helped
lol8[1].gif
but that generally will determine more than anything if women are attracted to you or not.

Decades

Reaction score
Originally Posted by add911_11
I think these are good style for teenagers:

Flickr 上 add911_11tumblr_lkmirppNqZ1qcq3ab

This photo is from a very well known style forum member (sorry for copying), all of his causal clothing are very well balance and suitable for men of all age, without looking too much

And at least follow that trend will increase your possibility to meet girls in your school like this:

Flickr 上 add911_11tumblr_lgh65wn1tQ1qg9myeo1_500

Or if you are a fan of this type, the relevant style still helps:

Flickr 上 add911_11Courtney-Cox2

Just trying to help!

So by this logic Morrissey should've been banging Playboy bunnies at the Mansion instead of crooning about being celibate and asexual?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads