• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about abolishing post count?

Eric

Reaction score
Who gives a frogs fat ass about how many posts someone has?

Eric

4Mica

Reaction score
I voted no because the first thing I do when I log on is check Manton's post count to see if he has posted anything new (whether I agree or disagree with what he posts I always find his posts informative or interesting). My
$.02.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Agreed. The only thing more tiring than reading hundreds of posts on rude shoe salesmen is reading hundreds of posts on having to get one's post count back up to some preset level. And then having that sentiment repeated in the message signature...

Hear, hear. I know who you are talking about. He is the one and only reason I disabled the signature feature and I avoid his posts like a plaque.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what's even more tiring than that? Stupid threads devoted to the subject.

If this were Ask Andy and people were doing stupid Congratulations on X Insipid Posts! threads, I'd be all for it. Thankfully, that isn't happening.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think SF would be any better. Every forum has a couple of those people.

tangerine

Reaction score
I don't really care about the post counts. People on this board don't really "whore it up" like I've seen on some other boards. Most of the off-topic posts have some entertainment value (to me at least) and I think they add some flavor to the proceedings, and allow people to express their personalities.

Whether the post count is displayed or not, I think (and hope) this would not change.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over there, it's a glorified tradition. People here generally seem to have a firmer grasp of reality. At least enough to realize how silly that **** is.

aybojs

Reaction score
Yeah, seriously. I feel like way too many recent threads have been not-so-thinly-disguised spam solely for the sake of bumping up post count. Sure, it's only a few people at most in particular, but even with ignore on (thank god SF has this feature, though) it quickly gets annoying. I don't think we need to outright block post count, but some sort of official "cut the post count++ ****" message placed in the forum rules would be great. I didn't think there were people here who could have a lower content/post count ratio than Vaclav, but this past week or so has proved me wrong.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Hear, hear. I know who you are talking about. He is the one and only reason I disabled the signature feature and I avoid his posts like a plaque.

Ahem! I was the only one that put my dismayed opinion regarding my former post count in my signature. Excuse me for being original...

Jon.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Agreed. The only thing more tiring than reading hundreds of posts on rude shoe salesmen is reading hundreds of posts on having to get one's post count back up to some preset level. And then having that sentiment repeated in the message signature...
I have to admit that I enjoyed jp's threads . . . returning worn shoes to the Polo Beverly Hills store, making demands on the local shirt tailor, wrecking a pair of Lobbs. All classics of unintentional comedy. If you're going to spam the Forum with vanity posts, the least you can do is make them funny.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of suggesting that as a certain poster approached 5000 posts, assuming his signal-to-noise ratio continued to decline, the probability of my banning him would also approach 1. Make them count, if you know what I mean.

There is also the possibility of using the User Reputation system instead of post counts. I don't have much experience with it, but it helps identify respected members without referring to post count. I could look into setting that up.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I was actually thinking of suggesting that as a certain poster approached 5000 posts, assuming his signal-to-noise ratio continued to decline, the probability of my banning him would also approach 1. Make them count, if you know what I mean.

There is also the possibility of using the User Reputation system instead of post counts. I don't have much experience with it, but it helps identify respected members without referring to post count. I could look into setting that up.

Luckily, it's going to take me a while to hit 5000 again, what with Ernest and jmkalrawhatever gone. Oh, well, back to motorcycle and cars I guess.

Is your BMW bike expensive to repair?

Jon.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Luckily, it's going to take me a while to hit 5000 again, what with Ernest and jmkalrawhatever gone. Oh, well, back to motorcycle and cars I guess.

Is your BMW bike expensive to repair?

Jon.

No, I found a good mechanic (he works on some of the WA State Patrol's BMW bikes) who works out of a home shop for $65/hr plus dealer parts prices or I can bring my own parts. This is absurdly cheap actually. Getting a new BMW bike serviced at the dealer is considerably more expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads