1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How about abolishing post count?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BjornH, Mar 16, 2006.

1. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I don't think SF would be any better. Every forum has a couple of those people.

2. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

I don't really care about the post counts. People on this board don't really "whore it up" like I've seen on some other boards. Most of the off-topic posts have some entertainment value (to me at least) and I think they add some flavor to the proceedings, and allow people to express their personalities.

Whether the post count is displayed or not, I think (and hope) this would not change.

3. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Over there, it's a glorified tradition. People here generally seem to have a firmer grasp of reality. At least enough to realize how silly that shit is.

4. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

Yeah, seriously. I feel like way too many recent threads have been not-so-thinly-disguised spam solely for the sake of bumping up post count. Sure, it's only a few people at most in particular, but even with ignore on (thank god SF has this feature, though) it quickly gets annoying. I don't think we need to outright block post count, but some sort of official "cut the post count++ shit" message placed in the forum rules would be great. I didn't think there were people here who could have a lower content/post count ratio than Vaclav, but this past week or so has proved me wrong.

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

This isn't as bad as a lot of message boards, where the poster's counts are at 25,000, or some ungodly number.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Hear, hear. I know who you are talking about. He is the one and only reason I disabled the signature feature and I avoid his posts like a plaque.

Ahem! I was the only one that put my dismayed opinion regarding my former post count in my signature. Excuse me for being original...

Jon.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Agreed. The only thing more tiring than reading hundreds of posts on rude shoe salesmen is reading hundreds of posts on having to get one's post count back up to some preset level. And then having that sentiment repeated in the message signature...
    I have to admit that I enjoyed jp's threads . . . returning worn shoes to the Polo Beverly Hills store, making demands on the local shirt tailor, wrecking a pair of Lobbs. All classics of unintentional comedy. If you're going to spam the Forum with vanity posts, the least you can do is make them funny.

8. j

j Senior member Admin

I was actually thinking of suggesting that as a certain poster approached 5000 posts, assuming his signal-to-noise ratio continued to decline, the probability of my banning him would also approach 1. Make them count, if you know what I mean.

There is also the possibility of using the User Reputation system instead of post counts. I don't have much experience with it, but it helps identify respected members without referring to post count. I could look into setting that up.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I was actually thinking of suggesting that as a certain poster approached 5000 posts, assuming his signal-to-noise ratio continued to decline, the probability of my banning him would also approach 1. Make them count, if you know what I mean.

There is also the possibility of using the User Reputation system instead of post counts. I don't have much experience with it, but it helps identify respected members without referring to post count. I could look into setting that up.

Luckily, it's going to take me a while to hit 5000 again, what with Ernest and jmkalrawhatever gone. Oh, well, back to motorcycle and cars I guess.

Is your BMW bike expensive to repair?

Jon.

10. j

j Senior member Admin

Luckily, it's going to take me a while to hit 5000 again, what with Ernest and jmkalrawhatever gone. Oh, well, back to motorcycle and cars I guess.

Is your BMW bike expensive to repair?

Jon.

No, I found a good mechanic (he works on some of the WA State Patrol's BMW bikes) who works out of a home shop for $65/hr plus dealer parts prices or I can bring my own parts. This is absurdly cheap actually. Getting a new BMW bike serviced at the dealer is considerably more expensive.

11. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

I do refer to the post-count when perusing the buying and selling forum; it's a kind of crude heuristic device for helping me to decide whether to paypal money to someone I don't know via a mechanism with no buyer-protection. With that said, if some other way could be cooked up, that would be cool -- just bear in mind that it is a useful (albeit fallible) measure of reliability.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

No, I found a good mechanic (he works on some of the WA State Patrol's BMW bikes) who works out of a home shop for $65/hr plus dealer parts prices or I can bring my own parts. This is absurdly cheap actually. Getting a new BMW bike serviced at the dealer is considerably more expensive.

What would you say the average yearly cost is to service / repair the bike?

(sorry for hijacking the thread)

Jon.

13. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

I do refer to the post-count when perusing the buying and selling forum; it's a kind of crude heuristic device for helping me to decide whether to paypal money to someone I don't know via a mechanism with no buyer-protection.

With that said, if some other way could be cooked up, that would be cool -- just bear in mind that it is a useful (albeit fallible) measure of reliability.

Interesting observation, but if a member posts a lot, you will likely have seen a number of their posts anyway, and what they have to say will probably tell you more about them than how many posts they have made.

If the member name is unfamiliar, you could (I am making an assumption about the indexing and search engine here) do a search for posts by that member and possibly learn enough about them to make a decision that way.

Just my .02.

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

plaque is easily avoidable, they have special toothpastes for this.

I guess I'm just in the blank as far as who has been posting random threads just to jack up their post-counts.

On the other hand, I do support the removal of post-counts overall.

15. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I don't see what the big deal is. It's fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Maybe you just don't notice it because you frequent the Streetwear forum (who can blame ya, we're all sexy beasts over there) than the main forum. I think I know who we're talking about. I don't support changing the forum settings for just one or two people, but I do think in general, that post counts shouldn't be displayed. I just don't like em.

17. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

Thank you for your opinions.

As I've said before, the post count is not serving a purpose as it is, but has drawbacks.

We could either:

1) Remove post count from thread display, leaving it only visible in the member info. Don't know if that would work as intended

2) Make only posting is the Men's Style section count. Then, post count would be a measure of how verbal you are in the subject of the forum. After all this is a StyleForum. How much you talk about your car is not really relevant.

3) Try the thingy J mentioned, the User Reputation system.

4) Hope that the fingerful either slows down, or ask J to impose a ceiling on his post count or even a global one.

5) Tell BjornH to mind his own business and get a life.

18. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

You might have missed the thread in question, since it did thankfully get "disappeared" pretty fast, but I think the straw that broke the camels back occurred when a certain member that everyone seems to be referencing in this thread started a thread a few days ago in General Chat that was basically "Hey I'm starting this thread to increase my post count" and proceeded to post about 20 filler posts (I've had him on ignore for quite some time, so I didn't see all of them, but I remember one post only having one character in it) in the span of 10 minutes. It's not so much people saying "I think so and so posts more than some arbitrary fair share" as "blatantly spamming the board in the name of post count is stupid and annoying."

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

You might have missed the thread in question, since it did thankfully get "disappeared" pretty fast, but I think the straw that broke the camels back occurred when a certain member that everyone seems to be referencing in this thread started a thread a few days ago in General Chat that was basically "Hey I'm starting this thread to increase my post count" and proceeded to post about 20 filler posts (I've had him on ignore for quite some time, so I didn't see all of them, but I remember one post only having one character in it) in the span of 10 minutes. It's not so much people saying "I think so and so posts more than some arbitrary fair share" as "blatantly spamming the board in the name of post count is stupid and annoying."

Thank you for the ignorance.

Jon.

20. Vaclav

Vaclav Senior member

Just because you post a lot, doesn't mean it's good in quality.