• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not a "strongly held opinion", I was just surprised.:) (Btw it's "Chacun ses goûts".)

Americans learn the phrase from the lyrics of the operetta "Die Fledermaus", and Prince Orlovsky sings "Chacun a son gout" - I will blame it on poetic license. :embar:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Mr. Six
 interesting tie. Cappelli? Seems to me to give off a distinctly retro vibe.

Cappelli indeed. From a batch of wool challis that I don't think has made it t the site. I agree, it's a bit mid-century in patten and color. Not an everyday tie, but I like it quite a bit.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is as conservative as I get.

Suit: Fallan & Harvey
Shirt: Charvet
Tie: Sam Hober
PS: Poszetka
Shoes: C&J
Watch: Tusenö

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cappelli indeed. From a batch of wool challis that I don't think has made it t the site. I agree, it's a bit mid-century in patten and color. Not an everyday tie, but I like it quite a bit.
Hmmm, I think I would have pegged it as a raw silk, or something similar, due to its (seemingly) porous nature. Very interesting to know it's a challis...also to serve as a reminder that I need to dip my toe back into the Cappelli waters.

Well worn, as always
cheers.gif

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Well, Patrizio called it a challis. I'm just repeating his description. There could be a translation issue of course. It is more loosely woven than other challis I have. But definitely wool--quite soft and airy though.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Country attire. New to me jacket. PRL barleycorn 3/2 roll, triple patch pockets, leather buttons, suede elbow patches, lapped seams, throat latch, half belt and action back. It's a bit on the long side, but what more could I ask for? I think a smaller knot would have been better here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Americans learn the phrase from the lyrics of the operetta "Die Fledermaus", and Prince Orlovsky sings "Chacun a son gout" - I will blame it on poetic license.
shog[1].gif
Perhaps slightly more idiomatic, at least to this Frenchman, would be "les gouts et les couleurs..." (I've almost never heard the second half "ne se discutent pas" spoken, it would be used to admonish a child perhaps) although the expression seems to root in Plutarch (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/de_gustibus_non_est_disputandum). I've never heard someone say de gustibus in conversation, although have seen it written a couple times.

Chacun ses gouts has a slight dismissive tone to it ("tasteless peasants do what they like"); les gouts et les couleurs may have been originally meant by Caesar to put down the outspoken critic, but it feels more like an admission of the subjectivity of taste these days.

"YMMV"

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's choice of attire was determined by the Friday Challenge. The theme is "Laurence Fellows", the men's fashion illustrator active during the 30's and 40's. The assignment is to take one of his illustrations as an inspiration for one's attire. Below is my interpretation.

Suit & shirt - BB MTM
Tie & PS - BB
Cufflinks - British Museum
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - C & J
Topcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center
Scarf - Paul Stuart

The Laurence Fellows illustration, and my take on it:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads