• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today marks the return of unseasonably warm and humid weather - a rerun of August - for the next few days, and the Friday Challenge is "Untie Your Tie" (i.e. put together a suited ensemble without neckwear). The confluence of these two facts has resulted in today's attire - a last huzzah for my white linen suit, before it retires for the season, visiting first my alterations tailor (it's a bit big on me these days), then my dry cleaner, before it hibernates for the winter, and worn without a tie.

Suit - BB
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Cufflinks - Turnbull & Asser
PS - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Principal photographer back at her University. Relegated to selfies with occasional spousal help. Hot and awful out again. Maybe we should start a "Climate Change vs. Menswear" forum? Heavy suits still stored in back of closet until November? Cashmere scarves hiding in bin.

Suit: Eidos
Shirt: RLBL
Tie: Zegna

Last edited:

Ntoleranse

Reaction score
Ok. One more post of me begging for help. Illpost again in this thread when I've made some improvements. Thanks for your patience and help in advance.
I used a real camera this time. I don't know how many of you take such excellent photos. You must have awesome equipment.
It's hot here again. This sport coat is cotton and very light weight. I like the color but again my slacks are darker than the coat. So perhaps I should wear this with tan pants ? Doesn't matter the button is too high. By a lot. I did some reading and from what j can tell the top button is over two inches too high. What's the consensus on bdc shirts and a sport coat? I'm in the US, and I've read that bcd and suits don't mix well over seas. My pants legs are cut too full but the length is better than my last attempt. My shoes need some attention. The flash from the camera makes it look a lot worse. These are Florsheim. I thrifted them but they had some sort of shellac on them? I realize this isn't a great shoe any more but for $9 us I'll get some mileage from them.

I realized after taking the pics I have all blue on. :/ I'm not sure the check shirt works here either. I don't have a great eye for colors and patterns.

Last edited:

TheoProf

Reaction score
Today:
Vintage English Shop of Princeton blazer
S&M chambray shirt
NM knit tie
LE tailored fit trousers
AE belt and shoes
1D7F7A72-F245-4471-849E-081F55D4A16B_zpsmymewp8c.jpg

AD6E2A39-4A84-4957-94C0-0A42CB653CF1_zpsgqykak7c.jpg

1764E301-7319-465F-93AD-0ABED4DF2CA1_zpsm6jueq98.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. One more post of me begging for help. Illpost again in this thread when I've made some improvements. Thanks for your patience and help in advance.
I used a real camera this time. I don't know how many of you take such excellent photos. You must have awesome equipment.
It's hot here again. This sport coat is cotton and very light weight. I like the color but again my slacks are darker than the coat. So perhaps I should wear this with tan pants ? Doesn't matter the button is too high. By a lot. I did some reading and from what j can tell the top button is over two inches too high. What's the consensus on bdc shirts and a sport coat? I'm in the US, and I've read that bcd and suits don't mix well over seas. My pants legs are cut too full but the length is better than my last attempt. My shoes need some attention. The flash from the camera makes it look a lot worse. These are Florsheim. I thrifted them but they had some sort of shellac on them? I realize this isn't a great shoe any more but for $9 us I'll get some mileage from them.

I realized after taking the pics I have all blue on. :/ I'm not sure the check shirt works here either. I don't have a great eye for colors and patterns.

Lighter pants are a great idea!

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I realized after taking the pics I have all blue on. :/ I'm not sure the check shirt works here either. I don't have a great eye for colors and patterns

The shoes do look like they need a polish (but worth the effort for $9!) but it could just be the flash - they are too light for the trousers though, in my opinion, I'd be going for a darker shade with that outfit.

I personally don't have an issue with the jacket being lighter than the trousers, nor do I mind a BCD with a sports coat. You are right about the buttoning point though, it is very high, strange as the jacket is not short on you.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You and those ties! Anyway, I'd have led with the second two pics. They seem to show the colors and textures much better.
Second pic is more true to color. Tie is dark navy.
nod[1].gif

IsteRed

Reaction score
So, found this pic of my recent visit to St Petersburg, i really like what i wear here, despite all the creases because i was wearing this for half a day before the photo haha, haven't posted in quite some time and decided to let you know that i am still alive

Last edited:

SprezzaTrash

Reaction score
A reader asked me about my process of finding jackets that fit on eBay, so I decided to highlight the jacket from my 1960's ivy suit.

The article is on my blog, but I'm sure you gentlemen don't need to read it. I basically talk about how I look at shoulders and jacket length, since these are least "tailorable" measurements. I usually end up buying ivy clothing, so I advised that your chest doesn't need to fill out the measurements, since you can take in a jacket.

I know my shirt collar is small, but it's from Uniqlo! I'm always looking out for vintage OCBDs though ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads