• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

backpack – GRUNGE JOHN ORCHESTRA
sunglasses – Ermenegildo Zegna
headwear – Ziner
gloves – Cortigiani
belt – Ermenegildo Zegna
bracelet – Viola Milano
jacket/coat – Polo Ralph Lauren
roll-neck sweater – Malo
T-shirt – Barbour
shoes – Crockett & Jones
socks – Pantherella
jeans – Bespoke
perfume – Frapin “1697”

The choice of conservative black dress shoes (can't tell if they are oxford or derby) spoils what would otherwise be an exceptional casual fit. Boots would have been a better choice.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello
smile.gif
I chose to wear cheaper pants today because it had just been raining heavily and I'm going to receive couple of splashes while driving outside (Motorbike). Jacket is S120, fully canvassed, made by Brijuni Fashion.

Regardless of all of the other critiques/comments that have been made (of which i agree with all of the criticisms - that the shirt choice, pocket square, contrast stitch button holes, black odd trousers, and skinny peak lapels have no place in the realm of classic menswear)...the largest issue at hand is the fact that your sport coat is made with a cloth that is strictly for suiting.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again, very special thanks to everyone who takes the time and trouble to post pictures of themselves. Thanks also to those who like my pictures.

As some of you know, every year when I see Santa Claus I ask him to make it 1955 again. If it ever happens, I am ready.

Brooks Brothers blue blazer, BB#1 stripe repp tie, blue and white University stripe OCBD shirt, and white linen pocket square, Land's End (high water length) trousers, white socks, and Allen-Edmonds Flagstaff penny loafers with pennies in them.

If there was room, I'd put quarters, rather than pennies, in them in a show of solidarity with AAS, who sometimes wears bit loafers, as then I'd also be wearing (two) bit loafers.

Aarne Salmi

Reaction score
Regardless of all of the other critiques/comments that have been made (of which i agree with all of the criticisms - that the shirt choice, pocket square, contrast stitch button holes, black odd trousers, and skinny peak lapels have no place in the realm of classic menswear)...the largest issue at hand is the fact that your sport coat is made with a cloth that is strictly for suiting.
Hi, Thanks for the reply!

Now that is because it is a suit. It is most obviously not a suit to wear while gong for formal meetings, interviews etc but rather it's for social times. I'm wearing the whole set any time the streets are not flooding(Vietnam). When it IS flooding all over the streets I will sacrifice something less essential :) The reason I choose dark shirts is because I sweat very badly at 30-41c weather. Leaves less yellow stains to armpits and people can't see through clothes. One take-away what I got is to avoid matching too much red with the button holes. Anything else is just a matter of opinions, thanks for sharing yours.

I'm having quite a lot of fun with all the gangster and cocaine stuff. Here I thought that award goes for pinstripes and I was being approachable. Got to fix that one!

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It should only be worn as a suit. That cloth is not for sport coats and it should not be worn as separates.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again, very special thanks to everyone who takes the time and trouble to post pictures of themselves. Thanks also to those who like my pictures.

As some of you know, every year when I see Santa Claus I ask him to make it 1955 again. If it ever happens, I am ready.

Brooks Brothers blue blazer, BB#1 stripe repp tie, blue and white University stripe OCBD shirt, and white linen pocket square, Land's End (high water length) trousers, white socks, and Allen-Edmonds Flagstaff penny loafers with pennies in them.

If there was room, I'd put quarters, rather than pennies, in them in a show of solidarity with AAS, who sometimes wears bit loafers, as then I'd also be wearing (two) bit loafers.

I hope I grow up to be you one day.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From Friday. A little bit of pattern overload.

Actually, with the exception of the square I don't think there's much 'pattern overload', in large part because the patterned jacket and the patterned shirt don't directly abut one another but are separated by the solid sweater.

It helps too that all the colors are so muted, which has the effect of toning-down the whole ensemble.

Doesn't bother me at all (except, again, the square).

Cheers,

Ac

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, with the exception of the square I don't think there's much 'pattern overload', in large part because the patterned jacket and the patterned shirt don't directly abut one another but are separated by the solid sweater.

It helps too that all the colors are so muted, which has the effect of toning-down the whole ensemble.

Doesn't bother me at all (except, again, the square).

Cheers,

Ac
Cool. Thanks. It's tucked away, but the sweater is cable knit too.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dazedstate is the coat charcoal or brown?

@Aarne Salmi, as someone who's familiar with the challenges of wearing tailored clothing in a humid tropical climate, I'd advise you to wear undershirts.

@Roycru very nice, but were white socks acceptable back then? And is there a special reason for 1955 as opposed to, say, 54 or 56?

VictorSFreturn

Reaction score

The choice of conservative black dress shoes (can't tell if they are oxford or derby) spoils what would otherwise be an exceptional casual fit. Boots would have been a better choice. 

Tnx!
This black Derby double sole, polished leather. No conservative option. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads