• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double breasting and a very weird angle. That is what I get for asking random people to take some pics.

1685614081897.png
1685614116853.png

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah what you and @An Acute Style said drove me to the webs to better understand what you are talking about. I found this https://putthison.com/a-guide-to-spring-and-summer-trousers/

I’m trying to better understand the differences between the two. Is it the fit, drape, materials, or something else that makes one more appropriate than another?

I have lost some weight and muscle recently which is making my shirts and pants fit less than ideal for the time being.
Yeah there used to a fella who posted frequently on here - I can’t remember his handle and he’s not posted in some time - receding hair, Warby Parker glasses, always with a face mask during the pandemic. I think he was a small town college prof of English - he used to make the mistake of frequently posting pics with formal top halves - often navy blazer, pressed shirt, tie, etc., along with baggy, saggy, frayed cotton chinos. I think towards the end of his posting period he finally got some more formal wool strides and vastly improved the overall look and silhouette … then he disappeared!
Anyway the point has been laboured by now so good luck on your search!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah there used to a fella who posted frequently on here - I can’t remember his handle and he’s not posted in some time - receding hair, Warby Parker glasses, always with a face mask during the pandemic. I think he was a small town college prof of English - he used to make the mistake of frequently posting pics with formal top halves - often navy blazer, pressed shirt, tie, etc., along with baggy, saggy, frayed cotton chinos. I think towards the end of his posting period he finally got some more formal wool strides and vastly improved the overall look and silhouette … then he disappeared!
Anyway the point has been laboured by now so good luck on your search!

@LiteraryBotany Maybe?

blewnote1

Reaction score
Navy linen this evening:

So this is only the second video of yours I've opened (have yet to make it all the way through one because they're just a total turn off), and I only opened it because I thought maybe you'd taken the advice you'd gotten under consideration. But I see you haven't.

I think AnAcuteStyle said it more diplomatically than I am, but these videos are just weird. The medium is fine (although stills seem to be the preferred medium here), but the first person perspective videos of your feet/crotch/neck area are, for lack of a better word, bizarre.

I think your fits are probably fine or maybe even good/great, but let us appreciate them from the vantage point of not you.

Brennenman

Reaction score
The weather in NYC has remained remarkably pleasant over the last several days (a trend soon to be ended with heat arriving by Friday). However, making sartorial hay while the sun is shining and it's not overly warm and humid, I am dressed today for the annual Frick Museum garden party. In years past, when the mansion has been open, the greenery and the open lawn facing Central Park has inspired very colorful attire on the parts of the attendees, but, in its temporary home in the former Whitney Museum, the sunken garden space is much more urban and much less green.

I was of two minds about what to wear this evening. I have included a photo of an ensemble which I had originally thought would work with the pink linen waistcoat, my intended centerpiece for today's attire, but, against cream linen, I thought that the pink was too vibrant, and that it needed to be seen against a much darker background, hence the suit with which I've chosen for this evening's party.

The pink linen waistcoat is from Ede & Ravenscroft

The cream linen ensemble:

Suit - Brooks Brothers
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - no name brand
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Pocket square - Seaward & Stearns, UK
Vintage watch chain

The navy stripe suit:

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand

View attachment 1967091

I’m always such a fan of your outfits, the fir is always spot on! And I need to get a suit like that!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The weather in NYC has remained remarkably pleasant over the last several days (a trend soon to be ended with heat arriving by Friday). However, making sartorial hay while the sun is shining and it's not overly warm and humid, I am dressed today for the annual Frick Museum garden party. In years past, when the mansion has been open, the greenery and the open lawn facing Central Park has inspired very colorful attire on the parts of the attendees, but, in its temporary home in the former Whitney Museum, the sunken garden space is much more urban and much less green.

I was of two minds about what to wear this evening. I have included a photo of an ensemble which I had originally thought would work with the pink linen waistcoat, my intended centerpiece for today's attire, but, against cream linen, I thought that the pink was too vibrant, and that it needed to be seen against a much darker background, hence the suit with which I've chosen for this evening's party.

The pink linen waistcoat is from Ede & Ravenscroft

The cream linen ensemble:

Suit - Brooks Brothers
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - no name brand
Pocket square - Seaward & Stearns, UK
Vintage watch chain

The navy stripe suit:

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand

View attachment 1967091

Please try the pink and cream combo soon!

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m always such a fan of your outfits, the fir is always spot on! And I need to get a suit like that!

Thank you for the compliment - imitation is indeed the highest form of flattery.
Please try the pink and cream combo soon!

Will do - I have the Met Opera on Tuesday - perhaps then . . .

The weather in NYC is going to be quite hot this afternoon, but I am having lunch with a friend who is sartorially driven, so a suit is de rigeur. Today's suit was next in rotation, and despite its initial appearance, it is totally unlined and in a breathable fabric, so we'll see if it works out as well as a linen or seersucker suit.

Included in this posting are a few selfies from the Frick Garden Party of last Wednesday, since people seem to be interested in seeing my attire "in the wild", as it were.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt & cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Tie, braces & shoes - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Seaward and Stearn

IMG_1310 (2).JPG

IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG
PXL_20230531_225619775.MP.jpg
PXL_20230531_225809455.jpg
PXL_20230601_010228267.MP.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads